Author Topic: Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing  (Read 6502 times)

dogmush

• friend
Re: Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2015, 11:30:57 AM »
Exactly  ;)  I grew up mostly in Phoenix (well, to the extent that I actually grew up  :laugh: ) in a neighborhood with a large percentage of "Hispanic" kids (Mexican, back then).  Our parents were all lower middle class working folks, and we all got along fine and I for one could not even conceive of the term "racism."

Thank goodness that the schools now have addressed this and make sure to tell kids like you were that they are racist, and they also make sure your "friends" understand how you are oppressing them.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2015, 06:02:30 PM »
Montgomery county MD did a deal where a developer was required to allocate 3 percent of the units to folks who paid what they could afford on a sliding scale. Mixed results.  If they were units that had public transportation and access to the re as united services it was good. Worked particularly well with senior citizens.  The seniors had compatible values.

I had real good luck with section 8 renters. I sometimes wonder if when folks make claims about section 8 folks if they are actually referencing section 8 tenants or are presuming based on appearances.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2015, 11:02:34 PM »
I live in a suburban neighborhood with McMansions. Down the street is a small apartment complex that has had section 8 rentals over the years. For some years it was an island of litter and trash with frequent flashing lights parked out front. The thugs and white trash did not seem to benefit from proximity or osmosis. In fact the building was like a festering sore in an otherwise pleasant landscape. They must have tightened up the vetting process under pressure from the neighbors as it has been clean and quiet now as of late.    

If I was a cynical type, I might think that since the polipeople devalued the neighborhood with the section 8 crowd, they were then able to afford some of the McMansions.  Now that they've moved themselves in, they're being harsher on the eights so as to raise the pleasantness of their new neighborhoods.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
Re:
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2015, 11:13:51 PM »
I had real good luck with section 8 renters. I sometimes wonder if when folks make claims about section 8 folks if they are actually referencing section 8 tenants or are presuming based on appearances.

I think the bolded above is a significant factor.  From my direct experience, I can say that sec 8 population varies.  But, depending on luck, area, and day of the week, the odds of having a less than positive encounter outweigh the good ones.  And, in a situation like I was imagining above, the sec 8 population would be a good place to look for those who are both vulnerable to being used for others' goals, and also effective at achieving those goals.  If one is looking for woodworking tools, one does not look for them in one's wife's makeup case.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2015, 08:37:35 AM »
  . . . The democrats who have run the cities forever wanted as much of the underclasses in their city (as long as they stayed in confined neighborhoods, of course) to produce votes. When they realized that they produce more social problems and crime than votes, they wanted them out of their cities and into the more conservative  'burbs', if not different states entirely.
I think it's more a matter of democrats realizing that this group of their voters is not a contributing part of the tax base . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re:
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2015, 10:17:37 PM »
The administration is, reportedly,  collecting vast arrays of data on neighborhood makeup through information on each specific household.

...I love to respond to the "Hitler banned guns!!" statement with the fact that he didn't,  actually. A previous government with noble intentions did.

Let that sink in.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re:
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2015, 11:14:23 PM »
The administration is, reportedly,  collecting vast arrays of data on neighborhood makeup through information on each specific household.

...I love to respond to the "Hitler banned guns!!" statement with the fact that he didn't,  actually. A previous government with noble intentions did.

Let that sink in.

Hitler passed a gun control act in 1938 which attached a "sporting purpose" test to gun purchases; this law was basically copied into the GCA of 1968 in America.  Also, Hitler actually did prohibit Jews from owning guns; any Jew found with a gun was summarily executed.
But, it is true that general gun registration in Germany began under the Weimar Republic and Hitler only made wide use of these lists when he went after the Jews.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2015, 08:23:55 AM »
Hitler passed a gun control act in 1938 which attached a "sporting purpose" test to gun purchases; this law was basically copied into the GCA of 1968 in America.  Also, Hitler actually did prohibit Jews from owning guns; any Jew found with a gun was summarily executed.
But, it is true that general gun registration in Germany began under the Weimar Republic and Hitler only made wide use of these lists when he went after the Jews.

As with all such things, reality is far more complex than the soundbite I tried to give.

All guns were completely outlawed in 1919 as a result of the Treaty of Versailles. (Due to fears that a disarmed government would be too vulnerable to an armed public, so they disarmed the public.)

In 1928, the laws were liberalized to allow guns, but with a very strict registration regime. The 1938 law you referenced actually liberalized this strict regime, making it easier to own guns, especially long guns. Government workers and party members (and hunters, your "sporting use" part) were exempt from getting the gun permit.

Jews, of course, were prohibited from owning guns, a task made far easier by the 1928 law.

Honestly, I think making the point that Hitler's crimes were made easier by gun control from a previous administration makes our argument easier. We don't have to claim our opponents are Hitler, just that things like registration make crimes like his easier.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2015, 11:35:51 AM »
As with all such things, reality is far more complex than the soundbite I tried to give.

All guns were completely outlawed in 1919 as a result of the Treaty of Versailles. (Due to fears that a disarmed government would be too vulnerable to an armed public, so they disarmed the public.)

In 1928, the laws were liberalized to allow guns, but with a very strict registration regime. The 1938 law you referenced actually liberalized this strict regime, making it easier to own guns, especially long guns. Government workers and party members (and hunters, your "sporting use" part) were exempt from getting the gun permit.

Jews, of course, were prohibited from owning guns, a task made far easier by the 1928 law.

Honestly, I think making the point that Hitler's crimes were made easier by gun control from a previous administration makes our argument easier. We don't have to claim our opponents are Hitler, just that things like registration make crimes like his easier.
;)
That, I think I can certainly agree with !!
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero