Author Topic: The Republicans are aligned with Obama on Iran  (Read 1075 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
The Republicans are aligned with Obama on Iran
« on: July 15, 2015, 10:26:28 AM »
Yep, whatever is really going on they aren't telling us. This "deal" could have been stopped dead in its tracks. Republicans instead made it easier for Obama. Every last Republican Senator 'cept one.

Normally, here's how treaties work: the President negotiates a treaty with another country, like the deal he is negotiating with Iran over its nuclear weapons development. Once the treaty is negotiated, it's submitted to the Senate. Two thirds of the Senate has to vote to approve, or ratify, the treaty. If two thirds do not support it, it is not binding.

But the bill the Congress sent to the President turns things on its head. It will allow the President to lift sanctions on Iran, and unless Congress objects with a 2/3 vote within 30 days, the President's actions are allowed to stand. See the reversal? Formerly, the President needed a 2/3 vote to act, and now the Congress needs a 2/3 vote to stop him from acting. And be assured the Democrats will never let the Republicans get that many votes.

Cruz, Rubio and Paul fought this measure procedurely, at first... but then voted for it on final passage. Totally inexplicable. And totally wrong, from a policy and constitutional perspective.

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2015/07/forget_obamarepublicans_made_the_iran_nukes_deal_possible.html
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 11:09:03 AM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

brimic

• friends
Re: The Republicans are aligned with Obama on Iran
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 10:33:26 AM »
But the bill the Congress sent to the President turns things on its head. It will allow the President to lift sanctions on Iran, and unless Congress objects with a 2/3 vote within 30 days, the President's actions are allowed to stand. See the reversal? Formerly, the President needed a 2/3 vote to act, and now the Congress needs a 2/3 vote to stop him from acting. And be assured the Democrats will never let the Republicans get that many votes.

Yep, I heard this all laid out a few weeks ago on Levin's show. The (r) leadership (sic) pretty much gave up congress' treaty power up to the President.

The only explanation for the continued capitulation of boehner and mcconnel could be obama bringing his chicago bath house scene to washington. Apparantly he did have a thing for older white men.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 10:38:47 AM »
Maybe Obama has some embarrassing 8x10 glossies of Boehner, McConnell, et.al. that they would all prefer not to be made public . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 11:01:47 AM »
Why did all those folks go to the polls to elect Republicans, I wonder? 

Hell, I am not nearly as anti-Iran as most, but this deal stinks on ice.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 11:37:48 AM »
Why did all those folks go to the polls to elect Republicans, I wonder? 
Because the alternative was electing Democrats. 

I guess gun control is about the only thing left the R leadership hasn't sold out on.  There might be a few others things. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 11:47:34 AM »
The one plausible explanation, and I fully realize what a Stretch Armstrong this notion is, that they are gambling on a Republican taking the POTUS oath on 1/20/17, which means all this precedent would hamper opposition by the Dems.

(If anyone needs me, look for the guy with his head buried in the sandbox.)
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 01:49:16 PM »
This was why I was incensed when this horrible deal came out.

I can only judge results, not intentions. From what comes out of a Republican-controlled congress, they support what Obama is doing- just as fistful intoned. 
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 02:38:03 PM »
Same as Roberts of SCOTUS. With all the NSA spying crap, I'm sure a call or contact was made that started with "remember when you ......." 
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.