Author Topic: Ryan: Don't call Puerto Rico bill a 'bailout'  (Read 2710 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Ryan: Don't call Puerto Rico bill a 'bailout'
« on: April 14, 2016, 12:17:37 AM »
Ryan: Don't call Puerto Rico bill a 'bailout'
http://thehill.com/policy/finance/276180-ryan-dont-call-puerto-rico-bill-a-bailout

Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) blasted Wall Street investors on Wednesday as he tried to tamp down conservative discontent with a bill to assist Puerto Rico.

The GOP leader charged that “special money interest groups on Wall Street” are trying to sabotage the legislation by billing it as a “bailout.”..

Ryan’s push comes as GOP leaders are trying to pull in enough support from both parties to clear legislation that would impose a fiscal oversight board on Puerto Rico and allow it to restructure some of its debts...

But at a hearing Wednesday on the bill, several conservative lawmakers argued the GOP-crafted legislation is effectively a bailout for an island struggling with an ailing economy that is billions of dollars in debt.

Several Republicans expressed concern with allowing the island to renegotiate its debts, and insisted taxpayers would eventually have to foot the bill for Puerto Rican relief.

Meanwhile, Democrats have expressed openness to the bill, but have said they cannot back it without some changes, most notably to the powers of an outside fiscal control board.

This would be a wonderful time to make PR an independent country. 

I am not on-board with bailing out socially and economically retarded polities with money from responsible taxpayers.  If they can;t settle their debts, maybe they can sell the whole damned island to teh US Navy and Air Force to use as a bombing range. 

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

brimic

• friends
Re: Ryan: Don't call Puerto Rico bill a 'bailout'
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 06:38:18 AM »
I'd actually be surprised if Ryan weren't out of a job a year from now. His name is a dirty word in WI, just like everywhere else, and his district isn't all that conservative. Having him ousted and replaced with a democrat back- bencher would not be a bad thing.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 08:05:58 AM »
Ryan doesn't like the term "bail out" I guess it's time to consult the worlds smartest dinosaur.

http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/bail%20out?s=ts
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

grampster

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 08:54:44 AM »
Another example proving if we had about 1/3 the government, we'd probably do away with about 2/3 of the fiscal irresponsibility.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 08:57:04 AM »

Lemme guess, it's not a bailout, we're just assuming their debt.

Have we ever done that for a state or territory in recent history?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2016, 11:26:13 AM »
I have a friend, who while taking a year off from being a scientist last year, was working as a dive guide in PR. I was in the old stomping grounds earlier this week and caught up with her. She's pretty far left, and she really went off over this bailout. Apparently your average PR resident makes the average Obama phone, EBT card carrier look like an upstanding citizen. She said she wouldn't have been against a bailout if she hadn't experienced the place.

There's also apparently a pretty strong prejudice against white people (that aren't tourists) that live and work there. She had a lot of examples about "two different lines" kinda stuff at government services, utility, and other offices. When she recently called them regarding a problem with her PR taxes, when she "pressed 1 for English", she sat on hold for 30 minutes, then got disconnected in the middle of the call. If she went straight through to Spanish, the call got answered right away, and when they heard she was a US citizen, they put her on hold and then never got back to her. Comcast has nothing on them. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2016, 08:07:38 AM »
I've spent enou time in PR to know that we should cut them loose.  Make them become their own country and fend for themselves.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 09:29:04 AM »
You can pull some interesting quotes out of these two articles and "parallel" some of PR's financial games with the mainland government's long-term activities.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2015/06/puerto-rico-debt-crisis/397241/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/29/puerto-rico-financial-crisis_n_7689994.html

You can't get free from debt by borrowing.

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2016, 10:03:09 AM »
Down with imperialism!  Up with Puerto Rico independence!
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton