Author Topic: Likely Dem and GOP Veeps?  (Read 6529 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Likely Dem and GOP Veeps?
« on: April 17, 2016, 04:58:29 PM »
I am becoming more interested in the likely VP candidates of the two major parties due to some of the more current political winds blowing.

1. Hillary still likely Dem candidate, but the rogue email server and classified docs issues keep getting hotter.

2. Cruz getting closer to Trump, delegate wise (more likely means Trump will lose hte nomination rather than Cruz will win the nomination) but let us assume Cruz steps in where Trump falls down.

So, a more likely Hill and Cruz matchup.  Thing is, both have problems that could knock them out of the race after winning the nomination. 

Hillary has the aforementioned email/classified document problem.  I expect BHO to keep a lid on this as much as possible, as he is culpable.  Might not be able to, though.  BHO's intelligence and cunning is over rated and folk at FBI and elsewhere in the intel/LEO community might be able to generate enough stink to force his hand. 

Cruz has the problem that there is a not insubstantial case that can be made he is not a natural born citizen  Sure, it is an arcane requirement for POTUS in a mouldy old document, but I suspect that most any lefty judge would become born again constitutionalist were such a case to be brought against Cruz to support the Dem POTUS candidate.   It is a roll of the dice for Ted.
http://www.anncoulter.com/columns/2016-01-13.html

Neither Hillary nor Cruz are the sorts of policritters that would select a strong VP candidate.  They are both too insubstantial and devoid of real accomplishment to nominate another politician of a Cheney/Gore caliber as their running mate.  I think the likely VP candidates would be more of a Quayle/Edwards sort.  Even a Biden-analog would be too much a contrast.

So, after the anti-establishment primary season gets beaten into submission by the partys' establishments, there are two establishment POTUS candidates paired with non-entities.  And then the top of both tickets are knocked off, transforming the presidential race into a form of continental midget wrestling match.  Or maybe a bi-coastal slappy-fight. 

I'll make some predictions.

About the most insubstantial candidate Hillary could choose would be Julian Castro.  Think a Mexican Marco Rubio, but only ever winning elective office to be the unsalaried, powerless San Antonio mayor.  He took a job as HUD secretary for BHO, not that he has any qualification for that position.  No matter.  He's young, hispanic, and reliably lefty.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_Castro

Cruz has a larger pool of qualified veep material, but he won't want to be overshadowed by a man of accomplishment.  He will be pressured to select:
1. An establishmentarian.
2. Someone with the gravitas Cruz lacks.
3. A minority, as Mexican are not fond of Cubans (though maybe they will warm to a Cubanadian?)
I am thinking Mia Love.  Love is more substantive than Castro, but still not enough so to overshadow Cruz.  She made Tea Party  & anti-establishment noise, but has a record of docile conformity.  Plus: woman and black.  Extra plus: Much easier on the ears than Hillary. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mia_Love

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Likely Dem and GOP Veeps?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 05:05:53 PM »
For a Democrat, how about congressman Keith Ellison? 
"It's good, though..."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 05:23:39 PM »
Like I need another reason to drink. Said to someone else the other day I wish the pair were still elected separately, I'd wake up happy every morning to read the news like a comics page if we had President Sanders and Vice President Trump.

Repub side I think Fiorina or Nikki Haley are still good picks, not because they are great politicians or people, but because it would bring all the loons out of the woodwork.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 05:43:54 PM »
Like I need another reason to drink. Said to someone else the other day I wish the pair were still elected separately, I'd wake up happy every morning to read the news like a comics page if we had President Sanders and Vice President Trump.

I'm here to help.  Upper cabinet, towards the back.  A forgotten bottle of vodka.  I like it with some cranberry juice.  It will help dull the pain.

Repub side I think Fiorina or Nikki Haley are still good picks, not because they are great politicians or people, but because it would bring all the loons out of the woodwork.

Good picks. 

Sure, Fiorina destroyed tens of thousands of jobs at HP and cost the company untold millions (billions?) with her mismanagement...but I think her experience doing something (even if failing by any objective measure) at a high level would be more than Cruz could tolerate.

Nikki Haley, OTOH, is an almost perfect pick.  Minority, woman, and completely in-line with GOPe.  Took down the confederate battle flag and is willing to sell out so-cons at the drop of a check.  And sell out the rest of America, too, given her stand on immigration.  Wish I had thought of her.

For a Democrat, how about congressman Keith Ellison? 

If he makes Hillary wear a burka (and a gag), I'll vote for him.

But, yes, Ellison is not accomplished in a fashion similar to BHO. 
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 05:47:58 PM »
I suggested those two based solely on the electability metric and or the ability to make the dems look really nasty. Really need a minority or woman with thick skin. And FTR , I never understood the Fiorina attraction, I owned HP stock when she was around.
AKA Navy Joe   

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 05:59:28 PM »
I'm here to help.  Upper cabinet, towards the back.  A forgotten bottle of vodka.  I like it with some cranberry juice.  It will help dull the pain.

Good picks. 

Sure, Fiorina destroyed tens of thousands of jobs at HP and cost the company untold millions (billions?) with her mismanagement...but I think her experience doing something (even if failing by any objective measure) at a high level would be more than Cruz could tolerate.

Nikki Haley, OTOH, is an almost perfect pick.  Minority, woman, and completely in-line with GOPe.  Took down the confederate battle flag and is willing to sell out so-cons at the drop of a check.  And sell out the rest of America, too, given her stand on immigration.  Wish I had thought of her.

If he makes Hillary wear a burka (and a gag), I'll vote for him.

But, yes, Ellison is not accomplished in a fashion similar to BHO. 
In regards to Haley you left out proving to be an incompetent idiot. Or did you just assume it went without saying?

Sent from my iPhone. Freaking autocorrect.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

roo_ster

• friend
Re: Re: Likely Dem and GOP Veeps?
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 11:25:13 PM »
In regards to Haley you left out proving to be an incompetent idiot. Or did you just assume it went without saying?

Sent from my iPhone. Freaking autocorrect.
My bad.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 10:28:33 AM »
Remember, you said likely, not ones you'd like.  Want a little cranberry vodka throw-up in your mouth? Elizabeth Warren is not completely implausible on the left.

The right should try a Rand Paul, be smart, be the attack dog on issues Trump can't spell.  Really, they will do something dreadful. Kasich, Graham, something like that.
AKA Navy Joe   

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2016, 10:29:30 AM »
I guess I opened the thread thinking this might be a serious question.  Apparently not.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2016, 10:31:41 AM »
Remember, you said likely, not ones you'd like.  Want a little cranberry vodka throw-up in your mouth? Elizabeth Warren is not completely implausible on the left.

The right should try a Rand Paul, be smart, be the attack dog on issues Trump can't spell.  Really, they will do something dreadful. Kasich, Graham, something like that.
Would you want to take Rand Paul out of the Senate?  That is my only issue with sitting Senators.  Of course, if one of the sell-outs would help with the election, maybe that would be a good plan. 

I have heard Kasich as a VP for Cruz mainly as an appeal to more conservative Democrats and Ohio.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2016, 10:36:43 AM »
Would you want to take Rand Paul out of the Senate?  That is my only issue with sitting Senators.  Of course, if one of the sell-outs would help with the election, maybe that would be a good plan. 

Hey, hey, hey, stop making a case for Lindsey Graham as VP.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2016, 11:32:46 AM »
I have heard Kasich as a VP for Cruz mainly as an appeal to more conservative Democrats and Ohio.

Uh, yeah. Given Kasich's record in the primaries so far, that would definitely get Cruz the "Kasich's immediate family" demographic's vote.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2016, 12:12:47 PM »

Nope, no way Warren gets veep slot under Hillary.  Warren might not have any accomplishment, but she is a better communicator than Hillary and likely a bit smarter.  She was able to get into the Senate without riding her hubby's coat tails.

Paul might be a choice under Trump, like you write.  Trump has a much larger and more interesting pool to draw from, veep-wise.  The thing about a towering ego is that there are few who you think would overshadow you.

As for a Cruz VP, Paul is in the realm of possible but not probable.  And Cruz is too much the neo-con "Make war on Russia and Iran for Israel" to be comfy with Paul's preference for a less destructively belligerent foreign policy.

Kasich is definitely an establishmentarian, but having been a governor gives him more gravitas than Cruz will want to manage.  Graham is hollow enough for Cruz, but he REALLY doesn't like Cruz.  Trump may call Cruz "Lyin Ted," but Graham spoke of no one caring if Cruz was murdered in the senate.   OTOH, Graham is on-board with Cruz's foreign policy belligerence.

I guess I opened the thread thinking this might be a serious question.  Apparently not.  

Feel free to find your way to the door, if it is not to your liking.  IMO, Hillary vs Cruz is plausible.  As is their subsequent disqualification. 

Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2016, 07:06:10 PM »
Kinda hoping for Warren to be on a ticket with Bernie. If you're gonna go full retard you might as well do it at plaid speed.
AKA Navy Joe   

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2016, 10:39:10 PM »
Feel free to find your way to the door, if it is not to your liking.  IMO, Hillary vs Cruz is plausible.  As is their subsequent disqualification. 
Yes, coming from a stereotypical Trump supporter, everything you said should not be unexpected. 

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2016, 10:54:03 PM »
Whatever, we all screwed if any of the 4 candidates win.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2016, 11:07:48 PM »
Except Trump.  If he is elected it will be the best screwing ever.   =)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2016, 11:25:17 PM »
Cruz will likely pick Mia Love, or Nikki Haley.     Although I think his best move would be to wait until Greg Abbot names Cruz's replacement to the Senate, and then nominate Abbot to the USSC.

Hillary will pick Warren due to the principle of "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer."  Bernie will also pick Warren as a feloow traveler.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2016, 11:41:12 PM »
Why so fatalistic?  I seem to expect that with Trump supporters when he is not winning.  Can't remember if you are or not. 

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2016, 07:55:37 AM »
Why so fatalistic?  I seem to expect that with Trump supporters when he is not winning.  Can't remember if you are or not. 

Because his drinking buddy Mario, is out of the race...
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2016, 09:26:49 AM »
Cruz will likely pick Mia Love, or Nikki Haley.     Although I think his best move would be to wait until Greg Abbot names Cruz's replacement to the Senate, and then nominate Abbot to the USSC.

Hillary will pick Warren due to the principle of "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer."  Bernie will also pick Warren as a feloow traveler.

Haley doesn't belong on the top of the ticket. I hope Cruz doesn't pick her as a running mate.  That would be just pure pandering to females that would have long term unintended consequences.

He needs to pick someone who could go on and continue conservative policies after his two terms. Haley has shown she has no spine and will buckle to the SJW's without a fight. I'm unimpressed with her from the bit I've seen and heard.

Love appeared to have a backbone with her initial run for office but it is way to premature to make her VP. I've read she has become somewhat more of a go along, get along type now that she is in office.  

Why can't R's think long term and plan things out better?

There is a dearth of wisdom in the R party. Bush? Rubio? really? They are out of touch and just plain stupid.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2016, 09:44:17 AM »
Cruz has the problem that there is a not insubstantial case that can be made he is not a natural born citizen  Sure, it is an arcane requirement for POTUS in a mouldy old document, but I suspect that most any lefty judge would become born again constitutionalist were such a case to be brought against Cruz to support the Dem POTUS candidate.   It is a roll of the dice for Ted.
http://www.anncoulter.com/columns/2016-01-13.html

Only if you choose to believe Coulter's herrderrr....

http://harvardlawreview.org/2015/03/on-the-meaning-of-natural-born-citizen/

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2016, 11:29:50 AM »
Yes, coming from a stereotypical Trump supporter, everything you said should not be unexpected. 

So, the stereotypical Trump supporter thinks there is only a 10% chance Trump will come through partially?  On any of his major issues?  Most Trump supporters I see on video are much more optimistic.  Perhaps both our Trump supporter samples are skewed.

I must say, that were Trump to emerge victorious in the primary, I would savor the butthurt of some Cruz supporters.  And be sure to hit the grocery store to obtain a quality cheese to go with their fine, fine whine.

Heck, who am I kidding?  I am savoring it in the here & now.

Although I think his best move would be to wait until Greg Abbot names Cruz's replacement to the Senate, and then nominate Abbot to the USSC.

Abbot would be a good VP.  He would be a _great_ VP candidate if he were from any state other than Texas, which Cruz could already count in the bag were he GOP POTUS nominee.  But he is too substantive for Cruz to pick as VP.  Putting Abbott on SCOTUS, OTOH, is a splendid idea.  Wish I had thought of it.  Even better than putting Cruz on SCOTUS, which is where I think Cruz would do the most good for America.

True. 

Or, I would lay odds that none of them will find a way to renew America in any significant way.  Cruz & Hillary would be more of same and we would keep approaching the cliff at a good clip.  Bernie would mash the accelerator such that we would have a Full Argentina by 2020 (ferfal, where are you?).  Trump has a _slim_ chance to slow the drive toward destruction, but no one has the ability to stop or turn it around before going over the cliff.

Only if you choose to believe Coulter's herrderrr....

http://harvardlawreview.org/2015/03/on-the-meaning-of-natural-born-citizen/

I don't have to believe it.  It just has to be plausible to a judge.  And then a few judges.  If they buy/believe that Cruz's parents voted in Canadian elections or in some way renounced their citizenship (voting in Canadian elections would be one way), things get very dicey. 

In an election season full of wonder, oddity, and fabulous goofiness; I am reluctant to discount the next thing declared "impossible"  or "absurd" by all the right folks. 

The 2016 Primary Season: An absurdity wrapped in a flag inside a goat's fourth point of contact.

Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2016, 07:00:59 PM »

Nope, I said he was a clown from day one and still think that he is.

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2016, 07:07:09 PM »
Because his drinking buddy Mario, is out of the race...

Cruz gets elected, we go back to a full scale war in the middle east because God told him so, he also gets stonewalled by the democrats, they take both houses in 2018, republicans before 2018 are trying to keep their jobs so they don't support him either, we basically get two more years of the last 8. Abortion is still legal and more states allow gay marriages, GOP losses their gains in state and local offices.

Hillary, we go to war somewhere in the middle east again, well because she wants to let everyone know she wears the pants. Rich folks grow richer under her, because that is what Clintons do. More gun control and increase in taxes on the middle class because of reduction in taxes on the wealthy and increased benefits for the poor.

Trump, no wall is built, other than that I don't know what he will bargain down to.

Sanders, gets stonewalled by Congress and Senate, nothing happens, tuition increases, inflation skyrockets. He loses in 2020, think Carter. 

Uranus is a gas giant.