Author Topic: Brexit: UK Vote to Leave the EU  (Read 1316 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Brexit: UK Vote to Leave the EU
« on: May 18, 2016, 12:52:24 PM »
APS is sorely lacking in Brexit think-pieces.  What are we, a bunch of colonial yahoos with not a care for our dentally-challenged cousins across the pond?  Or their personal hygiene-challenged neighbors a bit farther east?  Not to mention the lot that smells of fermented cabbage beyond them.

Besides, "Brexit" is one of those wonderful words known as a portmanteau.  Portmanteau being a French-origin word for a lexicographical mash-up:
British+exit = brexit
Breakfast+Lunch = brunch
baseball+basketball = baseketball
Beef cattle+buffalo = beeffalo
And that is but a few examples beginning with the letter "B."

Anyways, like so many issues, brexit is hung up on core issues that all the Right Thinking People have declared forbidden to speak about.

The Immigration Gambit

The British will vote in a referendum on whether to leave the European Union on June 23, but the debate has gotten bogged down because of the limits on respectable opinion. The two allowable views are that Britain should leave because other Europeans are hateful, or that Europe should stay united so it can let in more non-Europeans.

The notion that Europeans might favor each other over outsiders (its founding idea) is today unthinkably racist.

Yet the main problems driving support for Britain exiting are immigration and the English fear that the EU is increasingly a mask for German mastery, hand in glove with Germany’s Great War ally Turkey.

But you aren’t supposed to talk about such matters...

“The truth is that the history of the last couple of thousand years has been broadly repeated attempts by various people or institutions—in a Freudian way—to rediscover the lost childhood of Europe, this golden age of peace and prosperity under the Romans, by trying to unify it. Napoleon, Hitler, various people tried this out, and it ends tragically.”

This outraged Remain supporters, since everybody knows the EU is good and Hitler is bad.

Granted, that’s a pretty childish way to think, but the debate over the European Union hasn’t shown much sophistication. Nor has it been terribly relevant to the real issue of the 21st century, which is that Europe will be demographically overwhelmed if it doesn’t develop the self-respect to defend itself.

...you might imagine that British voters would be more concerned about England filling up with Pakistanis than with Poles. After all, Poland might actually improve enough for the Poles to want to go home someday, while nobody expects the Pakistanis to ever make much of Pakistan. And Poles tend to go into plumbing rather than pimping.

But British subjects are allowed to express their opinions of Poles, while speaking freely about Pakistanis can bring a visit from the police...

Of course, Boris’ reference to “Napoleon, Hitler” is a shout-out to the single most consistent foreign policy objective of London over the past half millennium: preventing any single hegemon from dominating the Continent, especially the Low Countries across from the Thames Estuary...

The English won most of these power struggles, which is why I’m writing this essay in distant California in English...

Who is the most plausible would-be Continental hegemon to elicit this instinctual English reaction to practice divide-and-disrupt?...

In reality, the biggest threat to European unity is its dominant figure, Dr. Merkel.

I hope for the Brits' sake they withdraw from the EU.  That will also be a test of both Brit and EU legitimacy.  If the UK is not allowed to leave, well, we'll know something else about the UK gov't and hte EU, won;t we?

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Brexit: UK Vote to Leave the EU
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 01:26:30 PM »
I have another portmanteau for you: condesplaining. :P
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re:
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 02:32:51 PM »
England is too far gone. Stay or go they're toast. Poland is a country in ascendency unlike most of Europe.

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 10:06:36 PM »
Hmmm ...

Couple of minor edits ...

Granted, that’s a pretty childish way to think, but the debate over the European Union United States hasn’t shown much sophistication. Nor has it been terribly relevant to the real issue of the 21st century, which is that Europe the United States will be demographically overwhelmed if it doesn’t develop the self-respect to defend itself.

There, I think that's about got it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 11:14:09 AM »
https://ca.news.yahoo.com/uks-camp-sees-lead-shrink-ahead-eu-vote-123735556.html
This says the Brexit group is gaining.  

If they exit, will the EU start a civil war to preserve the union?  I am not sure how the combined EU navies stack up to Britain.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 11:24:21 AM »
I've just been monitoring this as well. FTR, I'm in favor of Brexit. I think it will have short term detrimental effects to both UK and US economies and markets, but long term it will be a benefit to both them and us.

Interestingly, I just heard that in the UK gambling market, 90% are betting against Brexit. Sadly, the gambling community is often the best "poll" regarding what's going to happen. I imagine a lot of this is due to the recent assassination.

I see Brexit as a really good analogy to our own problems with the stupid Fed not raising interest rates because they're scared of short term effects, and screw the long term. Nobody wants to look past the near term anymore.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 11:43:04 AM »
I've just been monitoring this as well. FTR, I'm in favor of Brexit. I think it will have short term detrimental effects to both UK and US economies and markets, but long term it will be a benefit to both them and us.

Interestingly, I just heard that in the UK gambling market, 90% are betting against Brexit. Sadly, the gambling community is often the best "poll" regarding what's going to happen. I imagine a lot of this is due to the recent assassination.

I see Brexit as a really good analogy to our own problems with the stupid Fed not raising interest rates because they're scared of short term effects, and screw the long term. Nobody wants to look past the near term anymore.

Fed has been looking into doing negative interests rates recently.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 12:08:31 PM »
In reality, the biggest threat to European unity is its dominant figure, Dr. Merkel.

Ayep, an East German, with no children to be invested in the future for. Having her lead europe is the stuff epic face palm is made up of.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re: Re: Brexit: UK Vote to Leave the EU
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 07:08:07 PM »
I have another portmanteau for you: condesplaining. :P
As do I.....fistfaulting.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Re: Brexit: UK Vote to Leave the EU
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2016, 07:24:14 PM »
As do I.....fistfaulting.....

I like that one.

Fistfaulting.

FISTfaulting!

FistFAULTING!!

Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?