Author Topic: This plan is too awesome not to do.  (Read 3012 times)

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
This plan is too awesome not to do.
« on: August 13, 2010, 09:12:39 PM »
Latest XKCD Comic

Look, tiny text!

sanglant

• friend
Re: This plan is too awesome not to do.
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 09:40:04 PM »
if your body scan last more than 4 hours call 911? [tinfoil]

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 09:46:59 PM »
if your body scan last more than 4 hours call 911? [tinfoil]

By that point you might be a bit glowy
Look, tiny text!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 10:48:14 PM »
By that point you might be a bit glowy

I think someone in the TSA will try at some point.  :facepalm:

"Hey, you did not respect mah authority.  Stand there for 40 minutes while we search your bags a dozen times and lemme give you cancer."

If you think that doesn't sound plausible, you haven't flown recently.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 09:58:47 PM »
I know nobody has posted in a few days, but... tough :) I haven't been on APS for a few days.

This raises an interesting question - will we have laws regulating scanner behavior, now that "they" can "see it all"?  Anyone else remember the law, a few years back, against having an erection in public?  The phrase "visibly turgid" sticks out in my mind...

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 10:07:32 PM »
I know nobody has posted in a few days, but... tough :) I haven't been on APS for a few days.

This raises an interesting question - will we have laws regulating scanner behavior, now that "they" can "see it all"?  Anyone else remember the law, a few years back, against having an erection in public?  The phrase "visibly turgid" sticks out in my mind...

I'm very surprised this tech is allowed.  The law is very specific on strip searches, which this most certainly is.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 10:49:04 PM »
I'm very surprised this tech is allowed.  The law is very specific on strip searches, which this most certainly is.

Thank the Patriot Act. After that, no invasion by the government should come as a surprise.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 10:55:26 PM »
The phrase "visibly turgid" sticks out in my mind...

You have my sympathies.   =| 

I don't recall that law. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 10:58:08 PM »
Thank the Patriot Act. After that, no invasion by the government should come as a surprise.

Whenever folks complain about the Health Care bill not being read (correctly so), remind them of the Patriot Act.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 11:03:15 PM »

No, it isn't.

There's some case law, but it's mostly jail cases, all pre-conviction, so less abrogation of civil rights, but the case law focuses more on the outrageous behavior of the searchers than the concept of strip search in and of itself.

The trouble is that before this lovely technology was handy, no one thought much about randomly strip-searching: Anyone who looks suspicious, anyone with a D-DD cup size, random grannies with metal hips. 

As a DD, I find this alarming.  But no, there is not much established law on virtual strip searches as a condition of partaking in a pseudo-voluntary* activity.

*See interstate travel.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 11:08:32 PM »
Latest XKCD Comic

How about just a pair of Groucho Marx sunglasses/mustache stuffed down there?  (Without needing the 'nose' obviously.) =D
I promise not to duck.

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010, 11:33:24 PM »
Whenever folks complain about the Health Care bill not being read (correctly so), remind them of the Patriot Act.

Two wrongs...

How about just a pair of Groucho Marx sunglasses/mustache stuffed down there?  (Without needing the 'nose' obviously.) =D

:lol: time to wear the toucan thong!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 08:23:49 AM »
You know, people make jokes about tinfoil hats . . . but with these backscatter imaging systems, maybe it's tinfoil boxers that are going to go mainstream.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 09:27:15 AM »
Just don't take airlines.

General Aviation doesn't require such... measures.  :police:
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2010, 12:06:32 PM »
You know, people make jokes about tinfoil hats . . . but with these backscatter imaging systems, maybe it's tinfoil boxers that are going to go mainstream.

Or maybe a cucumber wrapped in foil?   =D
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2010, 12:21:18 PM »
Or maybe a cucumber wrapped in foil?   =D

This thread just got cranked up to 11   :laugh:
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2010, 12:47:39 PM »
i gave a lead lined film floppy disk pouch...
maybe a new chastity belt will appear

or what about wearing a shoulder holster for your PBJ?
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"