Author Topic: Were you issued two field jackets?  (Read 1770 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Were you issued two field jackets?
« on: December 20, 2014, 01:48:37 PM »
I went through OSUT in '97, and I seem to recall being issued two field jackets. Does that sound right, or do I disremember?

It only comes to mind, because I got one of them out of the closet to wear today. I think I sold the other one, but I don't quite remember. I usually wear my commercial, olive-drab one, since I don't much like camo.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

dogmush

• friend
Re: Were you issued two field jackets?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 02:05:09 PM »
Yep, in '98.

I still have one woodland one around here somewhere. (an one in ACU, brand new with no patches)

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 06:08:02 PM »
OK. Thanks. I'm not crazy.

Well, I may be crazy, but this is unrelated.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 09:06:35 PM »
Sadly no, not a Navy thing. I have kept a black M-65 for years, my favorite coat before getting a Carhartt horse blanket. Modern times finally did get to the sea service and I got issued my gore-tex parka when I joined the reserves. Quite the jacket that thing is.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 09:30:52 PM »
USMC 67-71.  Issued one (1) field jacket.

When I left there might have been more than one field jacket in one of the three seabags I had thrown in the trunk of my car.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 09:53:06 PM »
USMC Reserve.  Only jackets I can recall were the goretex ones, and we had to give those back on checking out.  Good jacket though.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 10:33:42 AM »
I got one at Fort Benning, I liked it quite a bit but it was far inferior to the Gore-Tex/Polarfleece combo for actual field ops.  In the rare cases we weren't drilling in the field I would wear the M-65.  Then in 2008 we started to transition to the ACU and the M-65 was no longer a local issue item.  After that the only guys who had them brought 'em back from Basic.

I did end up with two, since they were giving away everything Woodland after awhile, I kept one and sent the other one to APS Freecycle.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 10:57:01 AM »
Getting stationed in the desert meant no field jacket for me.  Had to check one out just for my fun times at 29 palms, which required returning it to supply when I got back. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2014, 11:54:16 AM »
Infantry osut in 2000, two field jackets.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2014, 12:35:45 PM »
Getting stationed in the desert meant no field jacket for me.  Had to check one out just for my fun times at 29 palms, which required returning it to supply when I got back. 

In the Army, at least when I was in, you just got them with the rest of the uniform items, and they'd be in your duffel when you got out of the cattle car at Basic. Didn't matter where you were headed.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2014, 02:02:59 PM »
Ft. Leonard Wood, 1983.  Got two, one in OD, the other in Woodland.  I know I still have the woodland one, hardily wore it.   I think I might have the OD one.  It might have been sold to the surplus store with a bunch of other stuff.   I wish I had the liner for it.   =|
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2014, 03:52:08 PM »
Ft. Leonard Wood, 1983.  Got two, one in OD, the other in Woodland.  I know I still have the woodland one, hardily wore it.   I think I might have the OD one.  It might have been sold to the surplus store with a bunch of other stuff.   I wish I had the liner for it.   =|

http://www.amazon.com/Field-Jacket-Liner-Drab--Genuine-Military/dp/B006RKV3US/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419195081&sr=8-1&keywords=field+jacket+liner

Or check your local surplus stores.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2014, 12:18:47 AM »

That's surprising. I was in Cal for 11 years and it could get plenty chilly in the desert at night.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2014, 06:41:05 AM »
Got two in 88.  Not sure if I have them still.  Then when I came into the guard I got one and it is still hanging in a closet at this time.  Not sure they will want it back when I leave since it is woodland.  Got two of the ACU ones off the books and as of now have one after trading for a set of multi-cams. 
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2014, 07:42:00 AM »
That's surprising. I was in Cal for 11 years and it could get plenty chilly in the desert at night.

Yeah I don't know how I got screwed out of a field jacket.
I did get issued blues, though.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2014, 09:55:02 AM »
Ft. Leonard Wood in 94.  Two field jackets.  Was issued gor-tex at Ft. Riley, but had to turn it in at the end.  My field jackets were basically new when I got out because we weren't allowed to wear them.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2014, 01:55:31 PM »
Ft. Leonard Wood in 94.  Two field jackets.  Was issued gor-tex at Ft. Riley, but had to turn it in at the end.  My field jackets were basically new when I got out because we weren't allowed to wear them.

My experience was similar. I actually went old-school in Bosnia, wearing that placarded brown sweater and field jacket. It was quite comfortable.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2014, 02:28:52 PM »
Was that the 5 button brown wool sweater?   I loved that thing in the winter.  We'd wear it under our blouse.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2014, 02:37:59 PM »
Got issued one field jacket. I somehow had two of them. They wanted both back. I explained that I apparently signed for one, so I'm returning exactly one. I was being nice and allowing them to have some surplus junk back. Damned if I was going to let them steal my field jacket.

I somehow got a Goretex shell issued to me at some point. Different than the Goretex full jacket. I wore it over my field jacket, very comfy. Field jacket kept you warm, Goretex shell kept you dry.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2014, 03:03:57 PM »
Was that the 5 button brown wool sweater?   I loved that thing in the winter.  We'd wear it under our blouse.

Never was issued one but found one or two laying around unsecured.  Wound up trading for other worldly things.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2014, 05:04:03 PM »
Got issued one field jacket. I somehow had two of them. They wanted both back. I explained that I apparently signed for one, so I'm returning exactly one. I was being nice and allowing them to have some surplus junk back. Damned if I was going to let them steal my field jacket.

I somehow got a Goretex shell issued to me at some point. Different than the Goretex full jacket. I wore it over my field jacket, very comfy. Field jacket kept you warm, Goretex shell kept you dry.

That's what we had - gor-tex shell jacket and pants.  Issued with them were a set of thick poly-pro long underwear that we also had to turn back in   [barf]

Was never a big fan of the issued gor-tex, they were noisy.

They did let us keep the old school white cotton long underwear.  I junked that crap while I was still in, cotton kills and all that.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 05:44:38 PM by 41magsnub »

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2014, 05:08:24 PM »
I'm annoyed that we're not allowed to wear the 5-button sweater anymore.  Fortunately it pretty much disappears under my blouse.  =D
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2014, 05:51:47 PM »
I'm annoyed that we're not allowed to wear the 5-button sweater anymore.  Fortunately it pretty much disappears under my blouse.  =D

Yeah, we'd fold the collar in, just in case any one bitched.  You know some CSM, "It's better that the troops freeze and get cold weather injuries,then having a brown collar sticking out from under the blouse. "

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2014, 06:42:56 PM »

Yeah, I guess so. I actually meant to say "placketed."

I hate the brown poly-pros. They made me feel all clammy-like. I found a couple of half wool, half cotton undershirts at surplus stores. Those two shirts are still my go-to's, when it's seriously cold outside. I will probably go to looking for them online, cuz I could always use spares.