Author Topic: Well that has to hurt - Error in new software costs trading company $440 Million  (Read 1554 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-08-02/knight-says-losses-from-trading-breakdown-are-440-million

Knight Capital Group installs new trading software and the software sent "numerous erroneous orders" that cost it $440 Million which is quadruple it 2011 net income.  The errors were caused by a trading algorithm. 

Who wants to bet the programming team doesn't get a bonus this year.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Who wants to bet the programming team doesn't get a bonus this year.

How much you want to bet the programming team quit when they knew what code was being rushed into production?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

TechMan

• Administrator
How much you want to bet the programming team quit when they knew what code was being rushed into production?

True...
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

HankB

• friend
Wouldn't surprise me if some suit ordered deployment of the software in 1 week . . . when there was still 4 weeks of testing left. (All it takes to compress a schedule is an executive edict.)

Or maybe the coding was outsourced to India . . . because they quoted a lower price.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
In any case, it seems that is wasn't properly tested beforembeing put to use.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
In any case, it seems that is wasn't properly tested before being put to use.

What could possibly go worng  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
What could possibly go worng  ???

You mean since it wasn't their own money they were playing with?

Up until about a year ago that was the way things went.  Then someone figured out how to write a class-action lawsuit. :'(

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
Maybe the programming team emailed the code from India......
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Maybe the programming team emailed the code from India......

Just think how much they saved on development costs  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

TechMan

• Administrator
The code review wasn't completed due to the blackout in India....