Author Topic: clientcopia  (Read 1744 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
clientcopia
« on: August 07, 2012, 10:45:29 AM »
To cope with difficulties of a client attaining professional services and act to overcome them, despite that client's blatant stupidity.

New website for the geeks on the board:  http://www.clientcopia.com

Example:
http://www.clientcopia.com/quotes.php?id=4891

whbinder | posted 11-06-2006 | Number of Votes: 134  |  Current Rating: 4.56   

I recently set up a database, where each sales rep enters some numbers each week for record keeping. I admit, I don't know what those number represent, but it was a simple data entry program.

Last week their boss came to me with some scribbles on a piece of paper asking me if I could log in and enter one employees data for the week. I assumed the employee was just out and called the numbers in. That's reasonable and took me two minutes.

This week their boss came back with a huge pile of papers with different handwritings on them.

Boss: "I need you to enter everyone's data this week."
Me: "OK, why? Is the computer down?"
Boss: "No, they just aren't allowed to type in their own info anymore."
Me: "Why?"
Boss: "Because there's no accountability. They can lie about the numbers. So they're going to write down their info and you'll type it in."
Me: "So, if I understand you correctly, your assumption is that they can make numbers up with a keyboard, but not with a pen?"

Long pause.

Boss: "Umm.. No.. Nevermind"

:rofl:
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: clientcopia
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 11:49:56 AM »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 02:50:58 PM »

At least he admitted it wasn't a great idea.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 09:48:00 PM »
I am bookmarking Clientcopia.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 12:23:57 AM »
Example:
http://www.clientcopia.com/quotes.php?id=4891

whbinder | posted 11-06-2006 | Number of Votes: 134  |  Current Rating: 4.56   

I recently set up a database, where each sales rep enters some numbers each week for record keeping. I admit, I don't know what those number represent, but it was a simple data entry program.

Last week their boss came to me with some scribbles on a piece of paper asking me if I could log in and enter one employees data for the week. I assumed the employee was just out and called the numbers in. That's reasonable and took me two minutes.

This week their boss came back with a huge pile of papers with different handwritings on them.

Boss: "I need you to enter everyone's data this week."
Me: "OK, why? Is the computer down?"
Boss: "No, they just aren't allowed to type in their own info anymore."
Me: "Why?"
Boss: "Because there's no accountability. They can lie about the numbers. So they're going to write down their info and you'll type it in."
Me: "So, if I understand you correctly, your assumption is that they can make numbers up with a keyboard, but not with a pen?"

Long pause.

:rofl:

I literally facepalmed.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 09:46:04 AM »
Quote from: Clientcopia
I'm a technology consultant, and do everything from set up email servers and domains down to desktop work. The CEO of a company that I work for had ordered a new computer. As I'm setting it up, I notice that they have a small UPS (a.k.a. Battery Backup) under their computer desk.

I comment, "Oh, you have a battery backup. Excellent."

CEO: "Yeah, its ok, but it doesn't work really well..."

Me: "Oh?"

CEO: "You see, we have power failures sometimes, and when we do, my computer goes out. My monitor and speakers stay on, though. It's always confused me."

Me: "That does seem to be a problem, let me take a look..."

All of the user data is stored on the servers, so it wouldn't be a big deal if this guy's computer died a smokey death, but it wouldn't be good. Even so, the guy has a UPS, and is in a building with notoriously bad electrical wiring.

So, I examine the cables. This user has a standard 2-outlet plug near their computer desk. One of these outlets is taken up by the UPS. The computer is plugged directly into the other outlet, bypassing (and not taking advantage of) the UPS.

Connected to the UPS's built-in four outlets are the CEO's printer, monitor, speakers, and his electric pencil sharpener... >_<
Andy

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 04:57:05 PM »
Connected to the UPS's built-in four outlets are the CEO's printer, monitor, speakers, and his electric pencil sharpener...

Well, of course - when the computer goes out he needs to use paper and pencil  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin