Author Topic: Firefox 14.0.1  (Read 1978 times)

Lee

• friend
Firefox 14.0.1
« on: August 12, 2012, 10:02:44 AM »
I was having all kinds of problems with Firefox, so I uninstalled the old one and tried to install the new one. It tied to load, but was incredibly slow, and eventually stopped. I finally gave up. I am not a fan of IE, so I tried Chrome yesterday, not a big fan of that either (although it might be a case of an old dog learning a new trick type of thing). Everything seems less intuitive these days- I just want a simple easy to use browser dammit.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Firefox 14.0.1
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 10:03:28 AM »
I've been having a lot of problems with the current version, myself.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Lee

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 10:09:03 AM »
I forgot to mention that some Babylon search bar from hell also became part of my life yesterday. I would like to track them down and go joker on them.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 11:47:15 AM »
I switched to Chrome a couple years ago after Firefox just got too bloated and slow for my taste. It took me a little while to get used to (and prefer it over) Firefox, but I much prefer it now. Especially now that it has AdBlock extensions, which was the biggest thing originally keeping me from switching.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 12:02:41 PM »
Especially now that it has AdBlock extensions, which was the biggest thing originally keeping me from switching.

Hey, thanks for that heads up! Last time I checked they weren't available. Going to get them right now. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 12:58:00 PM »
I have IE, Chrome, and Firefox (beta) installed.

I like Chrome, but it has been slow in streaming videos for the last few months,
so I switch to Firefox to watch videos.

I have added "Do Not Track +" http://www.abine.com/dntdetail.php/ to all my browsers which has the added benefit of blocking pop-ups.
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell

Lee

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 01:25:02 PM »
The inability to watch videos is where my problem started a few days ago. After going through all this crap over the past few days, I finally realized that it was related to a recent adobe flash upgrade...but not before I entered upgrade hell.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 03:39:47 PM »
I switched to Chrome a couple years ago after Firefox just got too bloated and slow for my taste. It took me a little while to get used to (and prefer it over) Firefox, but I much prefer it now. Especially now that it has AdBlock extensions, which was the biggest thing originally keeping me from switching.

I went through the same and now like Chrome over FF. Haven't been able to find an extension to replace ReminderFox though, so I still use FF for that.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2012, 03:42:15 PM »
I was a FF user, went to chrome, and now am on the fence because chrome got slower and FF got faster.

I use both and keep bookmarks in sync with xmarks.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2012, 03:45:02 PM »
I tried Google Chrome and I hated it -- even disregarding that it's a Google product.

They don't like to admit it to us plebians, but Mozilla has a more stable version of Firefox that's intended for universities and corporations with a large installed base where the IT department simply can't be bothered to install a new major number release every friggin' MONTH. It's the ESR (Extended Support Release) version, which is currently at 10.0.6. There's an ESR release for Thunderbird, too. You have to hunt around the Mozilla web site a bit to find the ESR versions, but it's worth the effort.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2012, 05:39:28 PM »
I tried Google Chrome and I hated it -- even disregarding that it's a Google product.

They don't like to admit it to us plebians, but Mozilla has a more stable version of Firefox that's intended for universities and corporations with a large installed base where the IT department simply can't be bothered to install a new major number release every friggin' MONTH. It's the ESR (Extended Support Release) version, which is currently at 10.0.6. There's an ESR release for Thunderbird, too. You have to hunt around the Mozilla web site a bit to find the ESR versions, but it's worth the effort.
This mirrors my experience, also.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Lee

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2012, 05:56:34 PM »
Thanks.  I have the  10.0.6 version up and running now. 

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 01:01:47 PM »

Last time I checked the adblock for Chrome was significantly less effective than the one for FF, which is one of the reasons I'm still with FF + adblock + noscript.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2012, 02:33:31 PM »
Last time I checked the adblock for Chrome was significantly less effective than the one for FF, which is one of the reasons I'm still with FF + adblock + noscript.

I'm subscribed to the default filter list and never notice ads on any pages. Are there particular pages which Chrome's AdBlock can't manage well, or are there specific features missing that you need?

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2012, 06:36:14 PM »
I'm subscribed to the default filter list and never notice ads on any pages. Are there particular pages which Chrome's AdBlock can't manage well, or are there specific features missing that you need?

I'll have to update and test again.  I just remember that the last time I tried Chrome+Adblock I saw ads on pages where there were none with FF+Adblock. But to be fair it has been a while.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2012, 10:40:19 PM »
My 64-bit version of Firefox, 15.andchange, is running fine.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2012, 07:33:49 AM »
When using Chrome on Saturday, I had annoying video ads running in the lower right corner of the screen, while videos were running...both had audio. Later, I was looking at a gun site, something with a .RU xtension, and a nude girl wanting to chat popped up on my screen. That is a bonus feature IM0, but not when my daughter is in the room. Lol.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2012, 08:33:13 AM »
When using Chrome on Saturday, I had annoying video ads running in the lower right corner of the screen, while videos were running...both had audio. Later, I was looking at a gun site, something with a .RU xtension, and a nude girl wanting to chat popped up on my screen. That is a bonus feature IM0, but not when my daughter is in the room. Lol.

There ya go.  I updated Chrome and so far with most casual browsing adblock seems to be quite effective, but once in a while I'll get something like you describe.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2012, 09:26:18 AM »
Hmm... I'll have to pay more attention. I haven't noticed ads, but doesn't mean they haven't been there. I also don't go to some of the kinds of sites that tend to be super aggressive on the ads, so I haven't really put AdBlock on Chrome to an aggressive test.

Foreign hosted sites in some countries seem to take some national pride in their ad density, though plenty of domestic sites take up the challenge as well.