Author Topic: Japan's Obesity Police  (Read 7150 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Japan's Obesity Police
« on: June 13, 2008, 11:46:01 AM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/13/world/asia/13fat.html?_r=1&pagewanted=2&no_interstitial&oref=slogin

Japan, Seeking Trim Waists, Measures Millions

By NORIMITSU ONISHI
Published: June 13, 2008
AMAGASAKI, Japan  Japan, a country not known for its overweight people, has undertaken one of the most ambitious campaigns ever by a nation to slim down its citizenry.

Summoned by the city of Amagasaki one recent morning, Minoru Nogiri, 45, a flower shop owner, found himself lining up to have his waistline measured. With no visible paunch, he seemed to run little risk of being classified as overweight, or metabo, the preferred word in Japan these days.

But because the new state-prescribed limit for male waistlines is a strict 33.5 inches, he had anxiously measured himself at home a couple of days earlier. Im on the border, he said.

Under a national law that came into effect two months ago, companies and local governments must now measure the waistlines of Japanese people between the ages of 40 and 74 as part of their annual checkups. That represents more than 56 million waistlines, or about 44 percent of the entire population.

Those exceeding government limits  33.5 inches for men and 35.4 inches for women, which are identical to thresholds established in 2005 for Japan by the International Diabetes Federation as an easy guideline for identifying health risks  and having a weight-related ailment will be given dieting guidance if after three months they do not lose weight. If necessary, those people will be steered toward further re-education after six more months.

To reach its goals of shrinking the overweight population by 10 percent over the next four years and 25 percent over the next seven years, the government will impose financial penalties on companies and local governments that fail to meet specific targets. The countrys Ministry of Health argues that the campaign will keep the spread of diseases like diabetes and strokes in check.

<snip>

But on a shopping strip here, Kenzo Nagata, 73, a toy store owner, said he had ignored a letter summoning him to a so-called special checkup. His waistline was no ones business but his own, he said, though he volunteered that, at 32.7 inches, it fell safely below the limit. He planned to disregard the second notice that the city was scheduled to mail to the recalcitrant.

Im not going, he said. I dont think that concerns me.

One can't help but wonder if our pending "universal healthcare" will include such measures. 

Kudos to Kenzo Nagata.

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Japan's Obesity Police
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 11:51:01 AM »
Wrong culture. They're used to being told what to do.

Don't worry about that happening here.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 11:51:51 AM »
This isn't from the Onion, is it Huh?

shocked

I'm trying to think of something about measuring my cold dead waistline  cheesy
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 12:30:33 PM »
33.5 inches for men and 35.4 inches for women

But...but... the women are supposed to weigh less...Huh? Why are women "allowed" to fat-up more than men are in Japan?  I'm sure there's an exclusion for pregnancy, but even in Asia where "tall" men are 5'6", the women are still a couple inches shorter than men.  And they're measuring "waists", not hips.

In all seriousness, is there any metabolic reason why women would be held to a lower standard for "healthy" by waistline measurement?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 12:47:22 PM »
The most chilling concept in the article is summed up in one word: "re-education".
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 12:59:14 PM »
For a more complete article try
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/13/world/asia/13fat.html?_r=1&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&oref=slogin

Last week in Japan, my wife bought me a 44 inch belt for a very small amount. A 36 inch belt woud fit better, but she couldn't pass up a bargain.  Perhaps it was cheap because there was no demand for such a size.
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell

atomd

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 01:46:05 PM »
Wrong culture. They're used to being told what to do.

Don't worry about that happening here.

I saw a segment on their transit system a while back. They have a guy who works in the train station and it appeared that his only job was to pack people into the trains. And I mean PACK.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 01:50:57 PM »
Yup.  One of the little bastards tried to pack myself and a couple fellow visiting aircrew into the train at Tachikawa.  We Americans are still a good deal bigger in stature and push-back stamina, as they soon discovered.  undecided
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 02:00:41 PM »
I saw a segment on their transit system a while back. They have a guy who works in the train station and it appeared that his only job was to pack people into the trains. And I mean PACK.

They have been doing that since the 1930's. Trains now run at 200% capacity during rush hour.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008, 02:30:00 PM »
Wonder if the summonses go out to the sumo schools . . . and who serves them!  grin
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2008, 03:20:19 PM »
Wonder if the summonses go out to the sumo schools . . . and who serves them!  grin

I am picturing the guy with the summons being bumped back out the door, if so...

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2008, 03:40:03 PM »

I am picturing the guy with the summons being bumped back out the door, if so...

Maybe they measure their necks instead...

Of course, some would probably STILL be over.   grin

BTW, this system has the same problem that the USAF system has - it doesn't sound like it have a modifier for height.  Of course, this is more critical in the USAF, which has to worry about a much larger proportion of six foot plus athletic types - who won't have a 33.5" waist even if emancipated to the point of ill health.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2008, 03:52:53 PM »
That's what I loved about the USAF before I retired 2 years ago.  Everybody's supposed to have a 34 inch waist, regardless of height.   rolleyes

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2008, 04:16:42 PM »
That's what I loved about the USAF before I retired 2 years ago.  Everybody's supposed to have a 34 inch waist, regardless of height.   rolleyes

Bet that doesn't apply to generals.

I remember hearing a rumor that the reason they left the belted four-pocket jacket and went to the blue one in the 50's was because the generals, who had been trim in WWII, didn't look so good in the slender-belted jackets now.  grin

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2008, 04:26:23 PM »
Last time I had a 34" waist I weighed 210 pounds...

Blog under construction

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2008, 04:30:26 PM »
It actually does apply to generals, as does the running/push-ups/sit-ups/BMI measurements.

As for the bus driver uniforms, one must thank former Air Force Chief of Staff Merrill McPeak for that.

We even had green nomex flight suits with sewn-in military creases and epaulets thanks to him. 

Thankfully, they disappeared from the inventory rather quickly after he retired.   

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2008, 04:34:42 PM »
Ah! The sweet smell of freedom.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2008, 04:42:09 PM »
One of the DIs in another company had a little hobby... I think he had a 32-34" waist, but had to weigh about 250 at about 6'ish... With a body fat percentage in the low single digits... He had his BDU shirts made, because his arms were too big for the sleeves.

They said he had a constant battle with the "you have to weigh this" regulations.

I had a buddy in college who was 5'8" and weighed around 250-260ish. He was squatting in the weight room one day and broke a bar. They said he had over 700 on it.

Blog under construction

Dntsycnt

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2008, 04:42:51 PM »
I forsee a great fat-person migration to the friendly, greasy U.S.  "The land that exercise forgot." 

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2008, 04:46:47 PM »
We even had green nomex flight suits with sewn-in military creases and epaulets thanks to him. 

Huh?

Wow. Those didn't even make it to the surplus market. I've never seen those in the flea-market or surplus store piles of nomex greens, no matter how patched up they were.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2008, 04:55:40 PM »

Maybe they measure their necks instead...

Of course, some would probably STILL be over.   grin

....even if emancipated to the point of ill health.
grin
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2008, 06:57:56 PM »
Last time I had a 34" waist I weighed 210 pounds...

And Dinosaurs ruled the earth..... grin

(sorry Bogie, but if you're going to tee it like that, I'm taking it outta the park !!)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2008, 02:34:08 PM »
Yup.  One of the little bastards tried to pack myself and a couple fellow visiting aircrew into the train at Tachikawa.  We Americans are still a good deal bigger in stature and push-back stamina, as they soon discovered.  undecided

So, you just had to Gaijin smash the poor bastard, huh?  grin

"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2008, 01:22:10 AM »
I'm trying to think of something about measuring my cold dead waistline  cheesy
laugh
In all seriousness, is there any metabolic reason why women would be held to a lower standard for "healthy" by waistline measurement?
Metabolically, we store approx. 5% more fat than men. Women tend to have more body fat than men even though we can weigh less. Men tend to have more muscle mass, which weighs more than fat even though it's lean tissue.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2008, 10:31:25 AM »
Last week in Japan, my wife bought me a 44 inch belt for a very small amount. A 36 inch belt woud fit better, but she couldn't pass up a bargain.

Ha! Wives !  My wife will buy a video tape that neither of us likes if it's in the closeout bin for $2.00.   sad