Author Topic: The Great Male Survey 2010  (Read 7162 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
The Great Male Survey 2010
« on: July 24, 2010, 12:42:08 PM »
To be taken with a grain of salt, obviously. Surveys men (some of the results seem to indicate they include metrosexuals as Men   :laugh:  ) from Australia, Canada, UK, US. Apparently done at the same time Cosmo did one for women.

http://www.askmen.com/specials/2010_great_male_survey/

I have a problem with any survey where only 5% of respondents list the Old-Fashioned as a Man's Drink.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: The Great Male Survey 2010
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 01:45:44 PM »
What is an Old-Fashioned?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 02:25:29 PM »

Finally you're making yourself useful around here by proving my point. 
:laugh: :P
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 04:44:26 PM »
I have a problem with any survey where only 5% of respondents list the Old-Fashioned as a Man's Drink.
You expect them to pick an OF as a man's drink over beer and whiskey?  Now if the other choices were a Shirley Temple or a Cosmopolitan or a White Wine Spritzer, you might have a point.

Quote from: fistful
Basically, it's Canadian blended whiskey (or rye) and vermouth.  There's a little more to it than that; I think a sugar cube, bitters, and an orange twist, but I'm not sure of the details.  It's served in a short heavy glass.
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 05:09:17 PM »
Canadian whisky -- blech. Bourbon.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 07:03:08 PM »
D'oh!, I got Old Fashioned mixed up with the Manhattan.  (at least I got the glass right)
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 07:21:03 PM »
So what is an Old Fashioned?   :lol:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 07:38:07 PM »
Basically, it's Canadian blended whiskey (or rye) and vermouth.  There's a little more to it than that; I think a sugar cube, bitters, and an orange twist, but I'm not sure of the details.  It's served in a short heavy glass.
And if you order one when the bar is busy, some bartenders tend to leave out the sugar. BECAUSE you ordered a drink that takes more time to prepare when the bar is busy.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 07:56:34 PM »
I am alternately impressed and depressed by this survey. Nobody takes a pre-nup seriously? And yet they whine that men aren't treated fairly by the courts in divorce cases (AFAIK, true).
Silly asses. Cause and effect goes right over their heads.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2010, 08:00:57 PM »
And if you order one when the bar is busy, some bartenders tend to leave out the sugar. BECAUSE you ordered a drink that takes more time to prepare when the bar is busy.

You get that with drinks like Mojitos too. I usually only order drinks like that when it's slow or if I'm in a bar that's known for the particular drink (so they shouldn't mind making them correctly when it's busy). Otherwise I find the best Old-Fashioneds are the ones I make myself. :)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2010, 08:05:24 PM »
I am alternately impressed and depressed by this survey.

I wish they would have done a breakdown by country on the question where the majority of respondents said that the US was our own worst enemy. I'd be a little disappointed if US males held that same majority view as perhaps males from other countries might.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2010, 09:02:33 PM »
I wish they would have done a breakdown by country on the question where the majority of respondents said that the US was our own worst enemy. I'd be a little disappointed if US males held that same majority view as perhaps males from other countries might.

I think we the people of the US are our own worst enemy. China isn't going to invade. The downfall of the US will be the people of the US, and the self-destructive policies enacted at their demand.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2010, 09:22:22 PM »
Bourbon, sugar (not much), and orange bitters.  And maybe a little water or soda.  Served in an Old Fashioned glass and usually garnished with and orange slice, lemon twist, and/or a couple of cherries.

"It's good, though..."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2010, 09:28:00 PM »
Scotch

Glass

Drink

;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2010, 09:56:08 PM »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2010, 09:58:00 PM »
I think we the people of the US are our own worst enemy. China isn't going to invade. The downfall of the US will be the people of the US, and the self-destructive policies enacted at their demand.

Good point.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2010, 09:58:59 PM »
Scotch

Glass

Drink

;)

That. 

Or Vodka,  you really don't NEED the glass,  but it's polite to have one if you're sharing with other folks  :laugh:

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2010, 11:29:35 PM »
Barley > Rye > Corn

A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2010, 11:55:49 PM »

Or Vodka,  you really don't NEED the glass,  but it's polite to have one if you're sharing with other folks  :laugh:

Why?  Vodka is self-disinfecting....  =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2010, 03:40:54 AM »
I was more interested in the Marisa Miller gallery than the survey.

That's 100% of men in this household.

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2010, 09:34:00 AM »
Not just a man's drink but "The Ultimate Man's Drink."  That's comical.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2010, 10:17:13 AM »
Not just a man's drink but "The Ultimate Man's Drink."  That's comical.

Yeah, it's kinda hard taking "The Ultimate Man's Drink" seriously when it's voted on the by the same guys who enjoy getting "A regular haircut, additional skin care, and the occasional manicure and/or pedicure".   :laugh:

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2010, 12:30:00 PM »
A regular haircut, additional skin care
Isn't soap skin care?  :P

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2010, 08:25:02 AM »
Isn't soap skin care?  :P

Water is....soap is just excessive when used more than once a week...
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2010, 11:05:39 AM »
RedBreast Irish Whiskey, proper glass.

That is all.

"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw