Author Topic: Renewing my carry permit  (Read 7179 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Renewing my carry permit
« on: May 12, 2011, 06:48:04 PM »
Today I took a run to the courthouse to renew my AL carry permit. I still can't get over how easy it is, especially after having lived in Wisconsin and fought for so many years fruitlessly for a CCW bill. Even the FL non-resident permit process seems burdensome now. I had three glitches in the renewal for the FL permit that delayed it a month or two.

I just walked into the sheriff's department this afternoon, and looked for the sign that said "pistol permits". Went to the desk in that office, and told the woman behind the desk I wanted to renew my permit. She asked for my permit, then asked if anything had changed. She then asked for $20, had me sign my name on an electronic pad, then took my picture. The longest step in the process was waiting for the laminating machine to run through the permit card.

That was it. There's no restrictions on the back of the permit as there are in other counties in the state (no carry in bars or restaurants that serve alcohol, no carry in strip clubs, etc).

I'd like to hope that Wisconsin would institute a system so simple, but I doubt very much that's going to happen.

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Renewing my carry permit
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 06:54:54 PM »
In MN we have to renew every 5 years, and that requires taking a refresher course with shooting qualification.  Not sure what it costs (the permit, not the class) I think $75.  I just got my permit in January.
"It's good, though..."

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 06:57:03 PM »
cool, here in Washoe county Nevada I had to wait 3 months to get it in the mail - next time I'm renewing three months in advance
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 07:34:10 PM »
Today I took a run to the courthouse to renew my AL carry permit. I still can't get over how easy it is, especially after having lived in Wisconsin and fought for so many years fruitlessly for a CCW bill. Even the FL non-resident permit process seems burdensome now. I had three glitches in the renewal for the FL permit that delayed it a month or two......

You have to actually go down to the courthouse?? :O

Here in Morgan County the sheriff's office mails me a reminder, I send in a check, and two days later I get my new permit, no hassle, no fuss, no gas, nada, zip, ziltch.  :lol: =D ..... :angel:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 07:43:34 PM »
Here in Morgan County the sheriff's office mails me a reminder, I send in a check, and two days later I get my new permit, no hassle, no fuss, no gas, nada, zip, ziltch.    .....

I'm in Morgan county, too. Nothing was mailed to me. What about your photo?

I had to be downtown anyway to go to the bank, so it was no big deal.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 07:48:14 PM »
They should have mailed you a card....
They use the old photo unless you go in and have a new photo taken.  A couple or three years ago a new jail was built and the sheriff's office was moved there.  That year they didn't send me a  reminder so I went to the new office and renewed it. 
However, I haven't had a new photo done.  I haven't changed much from the original so I don't think it matters.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 08:13:18 PM »
Texas could take some lessons from this....  ;/
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 08:39:32 PM »
For Alaska...

Q: My permit is about to expire; what do I need to do to keep my permit valid?

A: Complete the Renewal of a Concealed Handgun Permit form (form # 12-299-84) and submit it to the ACHP office. You are not required to deliver it in person. You may apply to renew your concealed handgun permit by mail.
Renewal forms are available on-line on the ACHP Home Page.

Mail your application to:
Alaska Concealed Handgun Permit Office
5700 E. Tudor Road
Anchorage, AK 99507

Renewal applications must be postmarked not more than 90 days before your concealed handgun permit expires. Include your renewal application, a recent photograph and the $25 non-refundable fee.
A permit submitted on or after the expiration is subject to an additional $25 late fee. The department will not accept a renewal for a permit submitted more than 60 days after the expiration date of the permit. (If more than 60 days have elapsed since your permit expired, you must submit an application for a new permit.)

When you get the new one you mail back the old.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 09:42:17 PM »
Well, in the current shall-issue bill in WI, it'll be $65 for 5 years with no training requirement. We'll see if that holds through the process.
I promise not to duck.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 11:11:41 PM »
Well, in the current shall-issue bill in WI, it'll be $65 for 5 years with no training requirement. We'll see if that holds through the process.

Yes, we shall see. Can you say "Republican Senator Luther Olsen"?  ;/

Hell, last time around in 2006, even Republican Representative Scott "my office is completely decorated with NRA stuff" Suder watered down the bill with amendments. He did so in one of the committees where there would be no record of his actions.

We'll see how much Republicans snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

The funny thing is that Alabama gets a bad rap for being discretionary-issue, although I haven't heard of anyone being denied. When you consider that there's almost no place a licensee can't carry--including bars--that's pretty remarkable. There's just a few states that allow tavern carry.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 12:05:30 AM »
You have to actually go down to the courthouse?? :O
You have to actually renew your permit??

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 12:58:54 AM »
Lifetime permits in NYS, if you can get one. . .
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2011, 01:10:40 AM »

The next time I see Robert DeNiro, I'll ask if he can put in a good word for me with Cuomo.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2011, 01:16:43 AM »
The next time I see Robert DeNiro, I'll ask if he can put in a good word for me with Cuomo.

The S is for "State", brother.  Whole different world up here.  The process is a hassle and a wait, but most of the state is essentially shall-issue.

If you just pretend NYC is a different state altogether, the CCW scene in NYS isn't as bad as most would think.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2011, 03:21:22 AM »
Oklahoma issued a 5 year permit when it started. Total cost including mandated course was just under $200. renewals for a 5 year permit is $85 X2 for a ten year permit plus new passport type photos. renewals are done by mail and by statute take 90 days. Reality is anywhere from under 30 days to over 120 days.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2011, 08:19:13 AM »
For Alaska...
Wait a minute . . . I thought Alaska instituted a "Vermont Carry" system a couple of years ago . . . no permit required.

Did I hear wrong?  ???
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2011, 08:34:31 AM »
Quote from: HankB
Wait a minute . . . I thought Alaska instituted a "Vermont Carry" system a couple of years ago . . . no permit required.

Did I hear wrong? 

My understanding is that Alaska has a permit program for Reciprocity purposes.  You don't need one in state, but if you travel it's nice to have.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2011, 09:39:44 AM »
Here in Missoula County, MT to renew we have to fill out the entire CCW form again including references that they WILL call to get a feeling for your character.  The other counties have a separate renewal form that does not have all that junk.  It is the lesser fee, $25 I think, for the renewal.

This is my next target...

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2011, 10:50:53 AM »
The S is for "State", brother.  Whole different world up here.  The process is a hassle and a wait, but most of the state is essentially shall-issue.

If you just pretend NYC is a different state altogether, the CCW scene in NYS isn't as bad as most would think.

I'm aware of that, and aware of the hassle in some parts, which is why I said  "Cuomo" rather than "Bloomberg". Andrew Cuomo is, I believe, your governor.  ;)

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2011, 11:43:24 AM »

Did I hear wrong?  ???

Dogmush is correct.

The weakness of "Vermont Carry" is the lack of reciprocity with states that require you to have a permit.  A lot of Vermonters get Utah or Florida permits for that purpose.

That's why "Alaska (AZ,WY) Carry" is arguably better. Vermont-style in state but a permit for reciprocity with all the states covered by FL and Utah (except WA because they are dumb, no, really) if you want to travel and your personal info and cash stays in your own state.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2011, 01:18:13 PM »
Indiana too.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2011, 07:00:11 PM »
Here in SC we can renew online. =D
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2011, 07:31:09 PM »
Here in SC we can renew online.

Ah, but can you carry online? ;)

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2011, 05:55:50 AM »
My understanding is that Alaska has a permit program for Reciprocity purposes.  You don't need one in state, but if you travel it's nice to have.

GFSZA also has an exception for a permit holder.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2011, 09:23:37 AM »
GFSZA also has an exception for a permit holder.

But only in the state the permit is issued from, or your state of residence, one or the other.
Look, tiny text!