Author Topic: Aren't there any new movies?  (Read 7163 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Aren't there any new movies?
« on: January 01, 2012, 07:28:57 PM »
I subscribe to Blockbuster's DVD by mail program, but I cannot find a movie that sounds interesting that I haven't already seen. They have probably thousands of titles, but I can go a couple of months without ordering anything.

At first I thought it was because they weren't getting the good movies. When I look at what's coming out on DVD, though, I can see that they're getting what's available. The problem is that there's nothing coming out that's of interest.

Am I missing something, or are there just a lot of mediocre movies being made?

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: Aren't there any new movies?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 07:39:31 PM »
That's what I like about Netflix, I can browse and watch anything slightly interesting without additional cost.  I've found some very good movies that I've never heard of (limited release, foreign, etc).

Chris

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 08:11:06 PM »
Maybe once or twice a year something decent will come out.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 08:22:52 PM »
I concur about Netflix on demand.  I have fallen into the habit of watching something for 10-15 minutes to see if something sparks my interest.  I end up watching the whole thing probably 50% of the time.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 08:28:27 PM »
Here's one I found by accident that turned out better than I expected: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1470827/

Chris

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 09:22:58 PM »
I want to see Warhorse. Is that out yet or in theatres? I searched Netflix for a while this afternoon and found nothing of interest I hadn't seen already. Do we have a movie list stickied here somewhere? We should.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 09:24:20 PM »
I think Warhorse is supposed to be in theaters.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Bubbles

• 07/C2 FFL/SOT
    • EFI, LLC
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 10:07:37 PM »
I concur about Netflix on demand.  I have fallen into the habit of watching something for 10-15 minutes to see if something sparks my interest.  I end up watching the whole thing probably 50% of the time.
We also have NetFlix.  If we can't find a decent movie there are a ton of tv shows available.  Some of the ones from the 1970's are a riot (I was just a kid then so I'm watching them for the first time now).
EFI, LLC - 07 FFL / C2 SOT in Inwood, WV - Custom Firearms & Gunsmithing

Tank Vest - Molle Vest for Your Motorcycle Gas Tank

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 10:14:09 PM »
Just watched Red Dawn from Netflix with the kids last night.

Been a long time since I had seen this one.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2012, 10:17:29 PM »
Warhorse, I hear you'll need a box of tissues.  :'(

:laugh:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2012, 10:31:57 PM »
are there just a lot of mediocre movies being made?

Hollyweird is entirely bereft of imagination and anything remotely resembling a new and/or interesting idea.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2012, 11:15:09 PM »
That's what I like about Netflix, I can browse and watch anything slightly interesting without additional cost.  I've found some very good movies that I've never heard of (limited release, foreign, etc).

I've looked at Netflix. Blockbuster has an on-demand streaming service, too. Both of the outfits have pretty thin libraries, though.

I did watch a movie tonight I thought was really good. "The Town", with Ben Affleck. In a way it reminds me of "Heat", but with a bit of romance thrown in. I wasn't expecting much, so I was pleasantly surprised.

On Friday night I watched "Brighton Rock". I watched it on Thursday night, too, but it took a second watching for me to be able to understand the thick British accents. I was an okay movie.

I've seen "Red Dawn" so many times, I don't think I could watch it again. As for 1970's TV shows, I saw them on their first airings, then watched them probably two dozen times minimum in reruns over the years. I can't take those anymore, although I must say that I think the sitcoms were the best in that decade than in any other.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2012, 11:31:01 PM »
Monkeyleg, this is your second thread on this subject. Get a new hobby. Or, heck, you're down South now. You should be riding the 'Stang and the Hog 9 months of the year, and saving all your movie viewing for the deep, dark winter.

Or design another switchblade.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2012, 11:33:05 PM »
I was out riding this afternoon, Fistful. Then I took the car to go to the gym. And I'm playing with switchblades as I type. (Ouch)

Sorry if I repeat myself. Early dementia.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2012, 11:34:24 PM »
I could recommend an over-looked comedy that nobody saw, but you don't seem like the comedy sort.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2012, 11:42:34 PM »
I could recommend an over-looked comedy that nobody saw, but you don't seem like the comedy sort.

I like comedies, but my sense of humor is locked into a style from a couple of decades ago. I stopped finding "comedies" to be funny around the time Beavis and Butthead, Caddyshack and The Blues Brothers came out.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2012, 12:10:42 AM »
For a good comedy, look for "The Cheap Detective" and "Murder By Death"....the best of Peter Faulk.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2012, 01:09:06 AM »
I like standup comedy more than movies. I watch Eddie Murphy's "Delirious" fairly often.

It may be heresy here to say this, but I like Woody Allen's early movies, from "Take the Money and Run" up to "Annie Hall".

For short skits, I like to re-play Obama's address to the nation after the killing of bin Laden.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2012, 01:10:00 AM »
I like comedies, but my sense of humor is locked into a style from a couple of decades ago. I stopped finding "comedies" to be funny around the time Beavis and Butthead, Caddyshack and The Blues Brothers came out.

Comedy?  Sounds like you like off the wall fare:

The Infidel

Or maybe a little darker?

Burke and Hare

Of course, Comedy must be balanced by Drama:

Aftershock

And sometimes only a visual/auditory feast can sate the hunger of the soul.

Baraka

Occasionally HollyWeird turns out a good flick, but don't look to them for all the good films.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2012, 04:32:20 AM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2012, 08:38:03 AM »
I only mention it because I was thinking about it yesterday, but a cool movie with big budget special effects and cast that almost nobody saw is "Equilibrium".

On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2012, 09:20:47 AM »
I shall add my usual comment on this subject. To wit, a lot of Shakespeare's plays were taken from history or pre-existing stories. For example, Romeo and Juliet was already being performed as a ballet or an opera, I don't recall which.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2012, 12:32:48 PM »
Just read a story that movie theater attendence in 2011 was the worst in 15 years.

I can believe it, and I'm pretty sure I know why: most of the ads I've seen for new movies bring out a reaction in me somewhere between "Oh, another one of those" to "That really looks like cr@p."
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2012, 12:38:19 PM »
Plus, movie content aside, I find the movie theater experience frustrating and overly expensive.  They took their captive audience for granted and I stopped going (far too many commercials before the movie starts).  Movie previews are fine, but at least around here they are 50% preview and 50% full on commercials for shampoo and cars that are mostly repeats of what is on TV.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 01:07:51 PM by 41magsnub »

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2012, 12:49:38 PM »
Just read a story that movie theater attendence in 2011 was the worst in 15 years.

I can believe it, and I'm pretty sure I know why: most of the ads I've seen for new movies bring out a reaction in me somewhere between "Oh, another one of those" to "That really looks like cr@p."

Avatar was on cable and the wife and I were arguing about watching it. I couldn't convince her that it has been done ad nauseum....Dances with wolves, but with goofy 8' tall blue people.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”