Author Topic: Aren't there any new movies?  (Read 7162 times)

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: Aren't there any new movies?
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2012, 12:57:21 PM »
Avatar was on cable and the wife and I were arguing about watching it. I couldn't convince her that it has been done ad nauseum....Dances with ferngully, but with goofy 8' tall blue people.

FTFY.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2012, 01:04:34 PM »
Don't run me out of town, I swear I resisted and resisted but...

"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2012, 01:25:59 PM »
Just read a story that movie theater attendence in 2011 was the worst in 15 years.

I can believe it, and I'm pretty sure I know why: most of the ads I've seen for new movies bring out a reaction in me somewhere between "Oh, another one of those" to "That really looks like cr@p."

Don't you think DVDs and bigger, better TVs have more to do with it? Not to mention the sluggish economy.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HankB

• friend
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2012, 01:38:57 PM »
  . . . Movie previews are fine, but at least around here they are 50% preview and 50% full on commercials for shampoo and cars that are mostly repeats of what is on TV.
They started that full-on commercial cr@p many years ago when I was still in high school . . . they stopped it for a while because they didn't like cleaning all the Cokes and such off the screen time after time, thrown by outraged moviegoers.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2012, 01:42:27 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2012, 07:32:54 PM »
^^^
Bedlamite, that is so very true!
Sony DVDs are the worst offenders.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2012, 07:50:16 PM »

Don't you think DVDs and bigger, better TVs have more to do with it? Not to mention the sluggish economy.

I think it's a combination of what both you and Hank said. I've been disgusted with movie theaters for quite some time, but back in the day if it was a really good movie, like Lord of the Rings, I still went to see that on the big screen versus on a DVD viewed on my CRT screen. Nowadays, now matter how excited I am about a movie, I'm quite happy to wait till it hits DVD or Amazon, and I watch it in the best movie theater around - my living room with the barcolounger, the 52" LCD, and the only other audience members being those that I invited (and who know to not talk at the theater).
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2012, 08:41:21 PM »
For me, the biggest advantage of DVD/VHS/whatever is that I can pause and rewind. And then watch it all over again if I want to.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife