Author Topic: The Department of Education has a SWAT team  (Read 12854 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: The Department of Education has a SWAT team
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2011, 10:50:36 AM »
I think that used to be the case, and maybe where you are it still is, but I think American universities have now become one more branch of social welfare filigreed with mythological trappings about education and democracy.  How much real learning gets done is questionable; ditto how much actual preparation for society.  Absolutely staggering amounts of money, much of it public, are channeled through the education machine with increasingly dubious results.  (The hard sciences and engineering remain an endangered oasis.)

The purpose of the History department is certainly not to 'prepare' anyone for 'society'. We cannot be called out as having failed as this was never our goal.

Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2011, 11:59:06 AM »
once upon a time i was greatly a joe fan.  that faded upon closer examination. i also have seen real police gone wild and often find folks blow their "incidents" outa proportion.  and even when they do the zomg choir gathers to sing hallelujahs
Please keep it up.  I may not agree with you all the time (or much  =D ), but we don't need to start doing the echo chamber on these threads either. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2011, 12:05:47 PM »
The purpose of the History department is certainly not to 'prepare' anyone for 'society'. We cannot be called out as having failed as this was never our goal.

Just remember when you're studying history to prepare your future.  It's coming, you know.

My point was not to debate pure academic studies versus career/vocational ed but to suggest that higher education is now big business and heavily dependent on gov't subsidies with all that implies.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.