Author Topic: Cellphone provider swap question  (Read 1810 times)

Paddy

Cellphone provider swap question
« on: January 25, 2006, 07:02:19 AM »
I'm thinking of changing cell companies-from Cellularone to Verizon.  I want to keep my number, which is originally a Cellularone number.  If I go to Verizon will the number work as reliably on their system?  Probably a dumb question, but I'd like to make sure before I commit to a new contract.  Thanks.

bermbuster

• friend
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 07:06:09 AM »
Quote from: RileyMc
I'm thinking of changing cell companies-from Cellularone to Verizon.  I want to keep my number, which is originally a Cellularone number.  If I go to Verizon will the number work as reliably on their system?  Probably a dumb question, but I'd like to make sure before a commit to a new contract.  Thanks.
Yes.

We have ported hardwire phone numbers from BellSouth to Verizon.  No problems.  Took about a week if that long for the port to be complete.  Verizon takes care of everything.

Paddy

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 07:17:01 AM »
OK, thanks, bermbuster Smiley  One other question, what is Verizon's track record with regard to outages?  Any problems there?  

I have absolutely no gripes with Cellularone; the only reason I'm thinking of changing is for two decent phones; all Cellularone offers are some funky Nokia and Ericsons and one Motorola I think.   I want a cool phone and SWMBO has a Prius and wants Bluetooth, which Cellularone doesn't offer.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 07:17:49 AM »
The only thing you might want to check is if there is a fee. If you're at the end of a contract, there generally isn't, but if switching "mid-contract" your current provider may charge a hefty fee.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

bermbuster

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006, 07:22:31 AM »
Quote from: RileyMc
OK, thanks, bermbuster Smiley  One other question, what is Verizon's track record with regard to outages?  Any problems there?  

I have absolutely no gripes with Cellularone; the only reason I'm thinking of changing is for two decent phones; all Cellularone offers are some funky Nokia and Ericsons and one Motorola I think.   I want a cool phone and SWMBO has a Prius and wants Bluetooth, which Cellularone doesn't offer.
The only places I have not had service with Verizon is where *nobody* had cellphone service.  Also, I use their VZ Access air card for my laptop when I have no other access available.  I do have a complaint with that.  I am paying for broadband but the speed is most often far less than that.  I believe that has to do with the fact that it is competing with all the cellphones for space on the wireless network.  Aside from that I am happy with it.

I, ah...., "went swimming" with my cellphone in my pocket recently and had to buy a replacement.  I opted for the least expensive in the store.  A Samsung 630.  I am lusting after the 900 series model with bluetooth but I believe I shall wait until my next subscription cycle and use the discount toward the purchase.  Who knows, by then maybe the price will come down.

Paddy

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006, 07:23:27 AM »
My contract with Cellularone is fulfilled.  I'm month to month with them right now, but their phone selection is real limited.  I want to make sure Verizon will treat me right before I commit to them, but I haven't made up my mind yet.  Cellularone works flawlessly and the coverage is excellent, even in rural areas.  Maybe I should just stay put.

thumbody

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2006, 07:31:24 AM »
Riley
 Just a quick question. In Mid Michigan I know of three Cellularone offices that have posted no handguns stickers on the front doors. Is your local office posted?
 I had Cellularone for a year and was not satisfied with them.No coverage at home (had to go 1/2 mile down the road to make a call). I work 7 miles out of the home coverage area so  all calls were charged against package minutes(even on weekends and having purchased the state wide plan not local only).The dealer I signed up with was new and told me a bunch of untrue things about my plan that I could never get straightened out with cellone so I switched to Nextel when my contract was up.
I'm OK it's the rest of the world that's messed up

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2006, 07:39:07 AM »
Quote from: bermbuster
Also, I use their VZ Access air card for my laptop when I have no other access available.  I do have a complaint with that.  I am paying for broadband but the speed is most often far less than that.  I believe that has to do with the fact that it is competing with all the cellphones for space on the wireless network.  Aside from that I am happy with it.
Check what "connection" you're using (it's shown in the application when you connect).  While it's marketed as "broadband", unless you're in an area that supports the EVDO network, you're only going to get the old 1xRTT network, which is closer to ISDN speeds rather than "broadband".  EVDO support is still mainly in the larger metro areas.  Here in Northern Virginia, I can get EVDO just about anywhere.  In Roanoke, Va, the largest city in SW Va, I can't get EVDO, only 1XRTT.  They're expanding EVDO access, but it takes time.  1xRTT took a couple years to become commonplace.  

FWIW, you're paying less than what the early adopters paid for the slower 1xRTT network.  At least the price plans here in NoVa are cheaper...

Chris

Paddy

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2006, 07:47:22 AM »
I have never seen a no handguns sign posted at the local Cellularone office-but then CCW permits around here are almost nonexistent so it wouldn't even be an issue.  The local company is owned by one guy but I don't know what his views on RKBA are.

bermbuster

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2006, 07:51:47 AM »
Quote from: mtnbkr
Check what "connection" you're using (it's shown in the application when you connect).  While it's marketed as "broadband", unless you're in an area that supports the EVDO network, you're only going to get the old 1xRTT network, which is closer to ISDN speeds rather than "broadband".  EVDO support is still mainly in the larger metro areas.  Here in Northern Virginia, I can get EVDO just about anywhere.  In Roanoke, Va, the largest city in SW Va, I can't get EVDO, only 1XRTT.  They're expanding EVDO access, but it takes time.  1xRTT took a couple years to become commonplace.  

FWIW, you're paying less than what the early adopters paid for the slower 1xRTT network.  At least the price plans here in NoVa are cheaper...

Chris
I have experienced several episodes of over an hour on the phone having been bumped up to the next level of tech support with them.  We danced through all the buttons and connections.  We made sure I was EVDO.  They claimed it was the concrete building I was in (not a jail cell) although I was by the window but the download times improved very little when I went outside.  This was in south Broward County, Florida, at the beach.  Even in the Verizon store the speed was not blazing.  They replaced my card thinking that was the problem.  As I said, it was better than nothing.

Occasionally, depending on time of day, I get broadband speed.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2006, 12:22:52 PM »
I like Verizon very much.  Gets good signals where others wont.  I carry an Alltell work phone and my Verizon cell out in the bush hunting and the Verizon is still useable whereas the Alltell isnt.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2006, 02:52:40 PM »
A cell to cell number port is easy and foolproof.

A landline to cell number port is a hole 'nuther issue.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

bermbuster

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2006, 05:05:24 AM »
Quote from: Waitone
A cell to cell number port is easy and foolproof.

A landline to cell number port is a hole 'nuther issue.
We had no problems porting two landlines to cell.  Maybe we just got lucky.