Author Topic: "We're heading for a Misgendering Crisis"  (Read 3663 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
"We're heading for a Misgendering Crisis"
« on: June 27, 2021, 09:00:24 AM »
No this is not from the Babylon Bee

Pronouns are often attributed to a person at birth, when newborns can be labelled ‘he/him’ or ‘she/her’ depending on their biological sex. Despite a wealth of progress on the matter, many people still have a habit of assuming a person’s gender and pronouns.

Oh no!

This lack of understanding, or perhaps in some cases refusal to learn, has led to 85% of Brits not knowing the meaning of the term ‘neopronoun’, which refers to a set of singular third-person pronouns typically created with the intent of being a gender neutral pronoun set.

OH NO!

Mermaids CEO Susie Green, who uses the pronouns ‘she/her’, said the findings show we are facing a ‘misgendering crisis with the UK public not understanding the mental health impact that using the wrong pronouns can have on young minds.’
A further 86% of Brits do not understand one of the most likely impacts of misgendering someone is negatively affecting their mental health.

Good chance there already was something amiss when it came to their mental health

Report: UK headed toward ‘misgendering crisis’ as 61 percent of Brits don’t ask about pronouns
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2021/06/26/report-uk-headed-toward-misgendering-crisis-as-61-percent-of-brits-dont-ask-about-pronouns/

Concerns We’re Heading For ‘Misgendering Crisis’ As 61% Of Brits Never Ask About Pronouns
https://www.unilad.co.uk/featured/concerns-were-heading-for-misgendering-crisis-as-61-of-brits-never-ask-about-pronouns/

This reminds me, I need to clean out the litter boxes
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: "We're heading for a Misgendering Crisis"
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2021, 09:12:23 AM »
I'm actually not sure what my comeback line would be if someone were to ask me, "what my pronouns are". I'm thinking I'd either be dumbfounded and at a loss for words, or else coming back with an offensive, smartass reply.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Pb

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2021, 09:23:37 AM »
I am pretty sure this is not the best of all possible worlds.   =(

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2021, 09:35:07 AM »
I'm actually not sure what my comeback line would be if someone were to ask me, "what my pronouns are". I'm thinking I'd either be dumbfounded and at a loss for words, or else coming back with an offensive, smartass reply.

Beep/Bop/Boop seems to trigger them pretty well.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2021, 10:07:06 AM »
"first world problems"
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2021, 10:10:40 AM »
Half of these problems solve themselves but hey, encouraging cutting off OEM parts to solve what needs counseling is the greatest thing ever, bigot!
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2021, 10:11:55 AM »
We are encouraged to list our preferred pronouns on our corporate email signature.  I am tempted to list 'Skippy the Wonder Dog' just to see if anyone notices.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2021, 11:58:41 AM »

Using profane ones come to mind.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2021, 01:16:51 PM »
"first world problems"

Agreed.  I will endeavor to remember this one if someone ever asks about my pronouns.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2021, 01:30:21 PM »

Offer to help them find an English as a Second Language course.

Among the many problems with the idiocy of "my pronouns" is that the whole purpose of pronouns like she and him is to be generic shortcuts. By nature, they aren't particular at all, but apply to one half of humanity or the other. They aren't yours or mine.

The second half of that problem is that pronouns are a shortcut. They're convenient. Unless, of course, you have to announce "your" pronouns, or look at someone's profile or email signature to know how to talk about them.

This deconstruction of the language has more in common with the French or Bolshevik revolutions than the American. So no thank you, lefties.

This stuff can only make headway in a dumbed-down populace. Even the snarky retorts to pronoun chicanery reveal that most of us don't know what a pronoun is. I'm sure Millcreek knows that "Skippy the Wonder Dog" is not a pronoun, but most don't seem to.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2021, 03:37:01 PM »
I'm actually not sure what my comeback line would be if someone were to ask me, "what my pronouns are".

"Why, mine are pronouns, of course. What are yours? Adverbs?"
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2021, 05:16:53 PM »
Gotta love how the Left is screwing with these children's heads, and simultaneously preparing to blame normal Americans for the fallout of their own awful, antihuman ideas. Just great.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 10:55:29 PM by Perd Hapley »

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2021, 05:38:36 PM »
Create a problem

Blame others

Require government money to "fix" problem

Profit

Western Civilization has devolved into one gigantic grift.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2021, 10:56:11 PM »
Create a problem

Blame others

Profit

Or require gun regulation to fix the problem.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2021, 11:00:41 PM »
Create a problem

Blame others

Profit

That's a good summation of the "issue." We are not heading for a misgendering crisis -- the loony tunes are doing their best to create a "misgendering" crisis by convincing gullible victims that God gave them the "wrong" bodies.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 04:13:30 PM by Hawkmoon »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2021, 09:57:54 AM »
The real crisis is that the general public doesn't really care what someone's pronouns are. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

griz

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2021, 11:13:17 AM »

Can I use Smartass as my pronoun?  It seems if it's OK to make up one such as Zer, I could use an existing word (accepted and accurate) as a pronoun.

Another question, would heads explode if I picked she/him as my pronouns?
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2021, 12:16:08 PM »
Offer to help them find an English as a Second Language course.

Among the many problems with the idiocy of "my pronouns" is that the whole purpose of pronouns like she and him is to be generic shortcuts. By nature, they aren't particular at all, but apply to one half of humanity or the other. They aren't yours or mine.

The second half of that problem is that pronouns are a shortcut. They're convenient. Unless, of course, you have to announce "your" pronouns, or look at someone's profile or email signature to know how to talk about them.

This deconstruction of the language has more in common with the French or Bolshevik revolutions than the American. So no thank you, lefties.

This stuff can only make headway in a dumbed-down populace. Even the snarky retorts to pronoun chicanery reveal that most of us don't know what a pronoun is. I'm sure Millcreek knows that "Skippy the Wonder Dog" is not a pronoun, but most don't seem to.

Wonderfully put.

All these pronoun shenanigans do is prove that people don't understand the utility of a 3rd person pronoun; it's a placeholder for a proper name or more specific noun, when the object is well understood by the first and second person who are engaged in communication.  Party A is telling Party B to give a thing to Party C, for example.  A and B are in agreement about the direct and/or indirect object, and that is belongs to or correlates to Party C.  "Give it to him" is used if Party C is nominally male.  "Give it to her" is used if Party C is nominally female.  Soulful navel-gazing and spirit bonding over soy lattes while exchanging preferred pronouns is unnecessary, but also fundamentally a corruption of language.  It's a hijacking of the 3rd person tense in the most narcissistic way possible.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2021, 12:39:28 PM »
These are the same people that have subverted words like justice, diversity, and racism.  They don't mean anything anymore.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2021, 01:30:25 PM »
The real crisis is that the general public doesn't really care what someone's pronouns are.

Not sure how you mean that. We really do have a crisis of not caring about one another's personal lives. The average American can't seem to grasp that we can believe in personal freedom from coercive government action, but still care whether or not someone is hurting themselves. Somehow, we understand that we can try to help an alcoholic without banning alcohol. But legalizing sodomy has led us to believe there's something wrong with helping homosexuals and transgenders "transition" to a healthy, normal, heterosexual "cis" existence. We behave as if that was just the anteroom to reinstating anti-sodomy laws. This is a dumb planet.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2021, 01:40:49 PM »
Not sure how you mean that. We really do have a crisis of not caring about one another's personal lives. The average American can't seem to grasp that we can believe in personal freedom from coercive government action, but still care whether or not someone is hurting themselves. Somehow, we understand that we can try to help an alcoholic without banning alcohol. But legalizing sodomy has led us to believe there's something wrong with helping homosexuals and transgenders "transition" to a healthy, normal, heterosexual "cis" existence. We behave as if that was just the anteroom to reinstating anti-sodomy laws. This is a dumb planet.

Unlike alcoholism, I think only a small minority believe that homosexuality and transgenderism is destructive, unhealthy, abnormal behavior.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2021, 02:16:55 PM »
Unlike alcoholism, I think only a small minority believe that homosexuality and transgenderism is destructive, unhealthy, abnormal behavior.

Seems like heterosexuality is often treated as destructive, unhealthy, abnormal behavior nowadays
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2021, 02:21:54 PM »
Seems like heterosexuality is often treated as destructive, unhealthy, abnormal behavior nowadays

I would guess only a small minority thinks this way as well.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2021, 04:16:00 PM »
I would guess only a small minority thinks this way as well.

Fixed it for you.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2021, 04:49:01 PM »
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht