Author Topic: So anyone watching the address tonight?  (Read 12414 times)

Waitone

• friend
So anyone watching the address tonight?
« on: September 09, 2009, 07:47:24 PM »
I've got better things to do.  Besides, no TV.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

eyebrows

• friend
Re: So anyone watching the address tonight?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 08:38:04 PM »
Listening to it online..................
I'm trying to keep an open mind and listen, but so far it seems a bunch of glossy BS.
(which i'm not surprised by)

WHOA
He just got boo'd by the f'ing congress when he said
"reform will not apply to illegal immigrates"

WTF

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 08:52:33 PM »
Waste time listing to a Marxist parasite? I'd sooner eat the contents of my cat's litter box.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

eyebrows

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 09:10:38 PM »
I did it I listened to his speech and I feel like I ate the contents of your cat's litter box.. He gave no details, it was all glossy promises. I'm not sure if he was annoucing a "new" plan or if it's still the old one he's talking about.
I really did not like the part where congress boo'd him for saying "reform will not apply to illegal immigrates". Not one bit.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 09:14:53 PM »
well he converted one person... on another forum one of the dyed in the wool libs just flipped on him.  said she can't believe/trust him/them. if they lied and screwed up cash for clunkers they aren't gonna get to do that to medicine
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 09:22:13 PM »
He just got boo'd by the f'ing congress when he said "reform will not apply to illegal immigrates"

LOL!  I guess Mr. Obama is not radical enough for congress.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 09:27:26 PM »
I can't stand to listen to him.  The lies flow off his lips like maple syrup flows out of maple trees in the spring.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 10:35:11 PM »
So far, I have never subjected myself to the voice of Saruman, except in very small doses. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

grey54956

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 10:40:56 PM »
It was interesting when Congressman Joe Wilson shouted "You Lie!" during one of Obama's pauses.  Specifically, it was when Obama stated that under his plan, illegal immigrants would not be covered by a public health care option.

While some contend that it was disrespectful and unwarranted, I find it to be indicative of the current administration's loss of control and popularity.  It would be brazen and bold for anyone to interrupt the President.  That it was done by a sitting US Congressman, even more so.  I would expect this kind of act in one of the many town hall meetings as of late, but not at this level.  Perhaps people have truly had enough, even at the highest levels of our society.

It's going to be an ugly 3.5 years.
"There are no carefully crafted arguments here, just a sausage-chain of emotional crotch-grabs." - Longeyes

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye and see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." -- Frank Herbert, Dune

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 10:42:05 PM »
Unbelievable. He said that his plan would insure more people, give better care, and cost less. Has someone repealed the laws of supply and demand?

He also repeatedly attacked the insurance companies for their evil "profits."

Funny that the profits he made on his book deals, the profits that Oprah and other celebrities make, and the $100 million in profits Al Gore has made from "global warming" are not evil.

Good for Congressman Wilson!

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 10:46:06 PM »
LOL!  I guess Mr. Obama is not radical enough for congress.

Actually, I believe that the boos were coming from people who believe that his statement was a lie.  Joe Wilson from SC even yelled out "LIE!!" 
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

Parker Dean

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 10:46:32 PM »
So far, I have never subjected myself to the voice of Saruman, except in very small doses. 

More like Grima Wormtongue. I mean, we all know Obama isn't really the one calling the shots.

FTA84

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 10:48:34 PM »
Can one catch it on the computer?  I was out of the house tonight and missed it.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 10:50:10 PM »
Actually, the boos were coming from people who believe that his statement was a lie.  Joe Wilson from SC even yelled out "LIE!!" 

We're troublemakers down here in SC. Thank God somebody had the temerity to protest Obama's bullcrap speech.

He also repeatedly attacked the insurance companies for their evil "profits."

Funny that the profits he made on his book deals, the profits that Oprah and other celebrities make, and the $100 million in profits Al Gore has made from "global warming" are not evil.

Hey, profits are evil when the bad corporations are making them, but when your side is making them, well, then they aren't.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2009, 10:53:42 PM »
We're troublemakers down here in SC.

Gonna nullify Obamacare?   :lol:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2009, 11:00:16 PM »

Gonna nullify Obamacare?   :lol:

If we can get rid of a certain jackass named Lindsay Graham, we might just.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

grey54956

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2009, 11:36:53 PM »
So, in what way is it constitutional to spend my hard earned money to purchase health insurance.

I understand car insurance, as driving a car on public roads isn't necessarily a right but rather a privilege.  I can buy a car and put it on my property and not have to worry about insurance.  I can keep it in the garage, or on the driveway, or in the backyard and not have to worry about insurance. 

But, I don't exactly see how there is any power granted to the gov't to make me buy, at my own expense, some health care insurance plan.
"There are no carefully crafted arguments here, just a sausage-chain of emotional crotch-grabs." - Longeyes

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye and see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." -- Frank Herbert, Dune

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2009, 11:45:58 PM »
Good for Congressman Wilson!

Amen!
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2009, 11:50:04 PM »
he apologised
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2009, 01:20:20 AM »

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2009, 01:22:40 AM »
Wilson may have apologized but maybe what we are recognizing is that the natives are getting restless.  Obama has indeed brought "change," and part of that change is a new tone to public and civic intercourse in America.  Let's for now just describe it as more "raw," but it takes a lot of bad faith and betrayal to truly rub a lot of Americans the wrong way.  And that is where we are right now.  Obama is The Great Rubber.

As for the speech, which I heard on the radio while driving, I kept thinking two things: Liar and Autocrat.  Obama's cocksure, arrogant tone really grates on me; he is so full of himself.  Before it was the bankers and the automobile makers who were The Evil Ones Who Make Profits, now it's the insurance companies.  Who's next?
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2009, 08:22:50 AM »
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2009, 08:42:37 AM »
Did he really actually call anyone or their profits "evil" or is that something you guys are coming up with on your own?
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2009, 08:46:30 AM »
I didn't listen to it all. I heard enough of it to know he's doubling down on lying to the American people.

I know Joe Wilson apologized, but I note that he apologized for "incivility". He did not retract his position, though.

Honestly, he echoed what I was yelling at the radio, anyway.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

HankB

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2009, 08:50:04 AM »
It was interesting when Congressman Joe Wilson shouted "You Lie!" during one of Obama's pauses.  Specifically, it was when Obama stated that under his plan, illegal immigrants would not be covered by a public health care option.

While some contend that it was disrespectful and unwarranted, I find it to be indicative of the current administration's loss of control and popularity.  It would be brazen and bold for anyone to interrupt the President.  
If applause, standing ovations, and cheers are acceptable behavior, then I find that jeers are equally acceptable.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain