Author Topic: So anyone watching the address tonight?  (Read 12416 times)

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Re: So anyone watching the address tonight?
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2009, 11:36:20 PM »
I believe the reference is to the over-regulation of the health insurance industry that Obamacare would bring about.  Insurers should be free to pursue whatever strategies lead to lower costs, which are good for both the insurers and their customers.  It's hard to come up with creative new incentives when the government is telling you how to run your business.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2009, 04:01:54 AM »
You know, I've long had an idea which I am not sure is good.

Suppose you had a law that said that if a medicine or procedure has been authorized in the European Union, it would immediately receive FDA approval (or at least receive it faster).

My rationale is like this: FDA approval requires expensive tests that cost millions upon millions of dollars. The European approval system is as tight or almost as tight as America's, so once a company did all the tests once and had already complied with the law there, there's no need to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to do it again.

This would benefit everybody – the healthcare providers, the pharmaceuticals, and clients. This would be fairly mainstream (note I did not say that medicine needs to be untested), and the politicians might accept it.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

buzz_knox

• friend
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2009, 08:39:48 AM »
You know, I've long had an idea which I am not sure is good.

Suppose you had a law that said that if a medicine or procedure has been authorized in the European Union, it would immediately receive FDA approval (or at least receive it faster).

My rationale is like this: FDA approval requires expensive tests that cost millions upon millions of dollars. The European approval system is as tight or almost as tight as America's, so once a company did all the tests once and had already complied with the law there, there's no need to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to do it again.

This would benefit everybody – the healthcare providers, the pharmaceuticals, and clients. This would be fairly mainstream (note I did not say that medicine needs to be untested), and the politicians might accept it.

It will never happen, as it would negate the justification for a massive portion of the FDA's budget.  Staffers and politicians won't stand for that kind of thing.

Just remember that whenever the gov't talks about how many thousands of lives will be saved by the approval of drug X, they've allowed that many to die during the years between the EU's approval and the FDA redoing the same work for no purpose except justifying their jobs.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2009, 07:33:50 AM »
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I