Author Topic: Amazon closes distribution center in Texas  (Read 15250 times)

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re: Amazon closes distribution center in Texas
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2011, 05:54:08 AM »
Reading it shows that they only used low-priced goods, I doubt this would hold up for something that costs 100's of dollars or more. I mean I'm not going to pay 30k for a 20k car just because I can fondle it before purchase.

I would tend to go the other way; I'm not going to pay $20k for something I can't even prove the existence of, much less the quality, unless there's one heck of an ironclad guarantee.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2011, 09:36:39 AM »
The other end of that is that you are probably more likely to browse and buy items you have never seen before if you can see them and hold them in your hand.  While you might search for more things to buy in an online store, I browsing is only going to be done for certain lines of products or things you already know something about.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2011, 11:00:00 AM »
Getting back to the BMs versus the internet stores:

Here's a study that shows people are willing to pay up to 50% more for things they can touch.

I'd agree with that. Yesterday, I bought a Ka-Bar TDI knife at a B&M store (GT Distributors in Austin). I might have gotten it cheaper on-line (unless you factor in shipping costs), but I prefer to inspect an item like that before I buy it. Besides, I was in Austin for a conference anyway....had I not been there, I might have ordered it on-line or waited until I found one at a store.

OTOH, I don't mind ordering clothes on-line....as long as it's a brand I know well. Sizes differ b/t brands, and I usually only order certain brands...esp. when the closest store with those brands is 100+ miles away.
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.