Author Topic: Pray for virginia  (Read 7097 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: Re: Pray for virginia
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2013, 10:33:36 AM »
I don't know whether the Libertarian candidate swayed the election. I don't blame the Libertarians for acting as Libertarians do.

I blame the state Republican Party and the RNC for spending 1/3 of what they did to get McDonnell elected in 2009. It's hard to win when you are outspent over 2 to 1 AND your "allies" are absent while the Democrats are spending buckets of cash.
yup
someone pays attention

damn phone
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Re: Pray for virginia
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2013, 11:18:05 AM »
Just so everyone's aware, I'm stealing large swaths of this thread for facebook arguments.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2013, 12:00:24 PM »
When the facts are considered in the slim victory that terribly flawed Democrat Terry McAuliffe had against Ken Cuccinelli, it’s hard to deny the conclusion that the Republican party decided it was better to abandon Virginia to the Democrat party than to allow the Tea Party and social conservatives to win.

Here they are:

The Republican National Committee spent three times as much in 2009 on the same race as they did this year.
    The Chamber of Commerce spent one million dollars in the last Governor’s race, and not one dime on Cuccinelli.
    While it’s often claimed that Tea Party candidates do poorly among independents, Cuccinelli actually won independents by 9 points, 47 percent to 38 percent.
    “McAuliffe outraised Cuccinelli by almost $15 million,” and in the last weeks of the campaign, this left Cuccinelli with nearly no media exposure.
    Even Politico wonders if Cuccinelli was beginning to turn the tide against the “War on Women” narrative, as he drove down McAuliffe’s lead among women from 24% in polling to 9%.

In the last month, Cuccinelli’s claim that the election was a referendum on Obamacare started closing the gap for him – the continuing debacle of Obama’s signature legislation was taking its toll on his opponent. But ultimately, he couldn’t close the gap without help.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2013, 12:21:06 PM »
Well, you definitely got the Democrat playbook against <fill in the blank> conservative opponent.

You also didn't get enough about McAuliff. He is, additionally, completely unprepared and unqualified for any administrative position, let alone chief executive of a state.

We will suffer for 4 years. (Hopefully the massive supermajority in the House of Delegates will mitigate that, though.)

So what am I missing?

I gather he spent his entire career raising money, instead of actually doing anything productive for his constituents ?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2013, 12:25:08 PM »
This.  It sucks that we have a D as gov, but we've had several in the last few years and things haven't collapsed.  We have a system in place that mitigates such foolishness.

Chris

Several of my friends/acquaintances are just about ready to go over the ledge about the election.

One of them is basically running around squawking OLYMPUS HAS FALLEN!

I've not read this entire thread, but has anyone picked up on the fact that there is going to be at least one special election to fill a Virginia Senate seat? Maybe two (Not sure if the two candidates for Lt. Gov) have both withdrawn from their seat or what...

But, in either case, both Senators, one Democrat, one Republican represent areas of the state that went HEAVILY for Cucchinelli.

Right now the Virginia Senate is split, 20-20, with the Lt. Gov. breaking any voting ties.

It's entirely possible that the Senate could end up going 1 up for Republicans.

Sure, not that great a deal, really.

Until you consider that the Republicans have an unassailable majority in the House of Delegates.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2013, 12:27:47 PM »
So what am I missing?

I gather he spent his entire career raising money, instead of actually doing anything productive for his constituents ?

You're missing the fact that this is the first, and I mean FIRST, elected office he's ever held.

So, he's never had any constituents.

He is the consummate outsider to Virginia and Virginia politics. Unless he brings aboard some VERY saavy Virginia politicos, he could end up being buried in the process.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2013, 12:28:37 PM »
Quote from:  Roo_ster
http://www.ijreview.com/2013/11/92490-gop-gives-virginia-democrats-instead-giving-tea-party-social-conservatives-win/

I told my wife last year that the RNC was deliberately throwing the presidential election -- I just couldn't figure out why.  (I still haven't figured that out, but Mrs. Z reminded me of it recently and says she now thinks I might've been right.)  I think Romney was in it to win but he was just a rich patsy.
"It's good, though..."

• friends
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2013, 12:31:02 PM »

The rnc outspent the dnc 3 to 1 in this race. What did you want?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

• friends
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2013, 12:32:50 PM »
Several of my friends/acquaintances are just about ready to go over the ledge about the election.

One of them is basically running around squawking OLYMPUS HAS FALLEN!

I've not read this entire thread, but has anyone picked up on the fact that there is going to be at least one special election to fill a Virginia Senate seat? Maybe two (Not sure if the two candidates for Lt. Gov) have both withdrawn from their seat or what...

But, in either case, both Senators, one Democrat, one Republican represent areas of the state that went HEAVILY for Cucchinelli.

Right now the Virginia Senate is split, 20-20, with the Lt. Gov. breaking any voting ties.

It's entirely possible that the Senate could end up going 1 up for Republicans.

Sure, not that great a deal, really.

Until you consider that the Republicans have an unassailable majority in the House of Delegates.
yup northams district 2 of 3 counties went to cucinelli

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2013, 01:18:29 PM »

Exactly what we got. [tinfoil]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2013, 02:56:43 PM »

You mean the Democrats raised $35 million while the Republicans raised $20 million.  Which would be the DNC outspent the RNC 1.75 to 1.

Facts are pesky things.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2013, 02:57:28 PM »

You're missing the fact that this is the first, and I mean FIRST, elected office he's ever held.

So, he's never had any constituents.

He is the consummate outsider to Virginia and Virginia politics. Unless he brings aboard some VERY saavy Virginia politicos, he could end up being buried in the process.

Thus showcasing his complete lack of concern for VA and why this can only be a stepping stone to something greater.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2013, 03:00:32 PM »

The RNC has been outraising the Dems this year as well. I'd like them not to have wasted money on Christie's easy win.

I'd like the groups (e.g. Chamber of Commerce) that claim to care about taxes and fiscal conservatism to support a fiscal conservative.

They didn't. That speaks volumes about what they really care about.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2013, 03:05:02 PM »
I wasn't following the election closely. The gist I got was Cuccinelli dislikes women and gays, McAuliff was a Dem fundraiser guy with deep pockets that loves Big Government and Crony Capitalism. Don't know much about Sarvis.

So, how accurate is that assessment?

Cuccinelli did co-sponsoir an anti-abortion bill that would have required a transvaginal ultrasound before proceeding.  (Rape and incest victims were not exempted.)  He's been up front about his opposition to abortion based on personal religious convictions (Roman Catholic), and the measure was soundly defeated.  In spite of that he ran sucessfully for AG.

Virginia law spells out who gets to ber npt discriminated against.  Governor wanted to add gays.  As AG Cuccinelli published an opinion in response to a legislator's request that stated Va law did not allow the governor to extend non-discrimination to gays.  Gays & their supporters got all, pardon the expression, butt-hurt.

Yes, I guess he hates womyn and gays.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2013, 04:08:11 PM »
Trans vaginal ultrasounds are only required during very early pregnancy, generally it's a normal US. Also, fun fact, the clinics do them already without the law. It's a medical necessity that the law wouldn't have changed. All that would have changed via the law, would be that the clinic would have to show the mother the pictures of her child before she could kill it. "ZOMG the horrors!" It got spun as "GOP wants to rape women!!!!eleventyone11!!" because that fit the BS War on Women narrative they were trying to spin.

I think it's funny how lefties are so in favor of governmental health and safety regs and fully informed consumer laws except for abortion. Cause they know that many women wouldn't go through with it if they understood what was actually happening.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2013, 06:44:47 PM »
Trans vaginal ultrasounds are only required during very early pregnancy, generally it's a normal US. Also, fun fact, the clinics do them already without the law. It's a medical necessity that the law wouldn't have changed. All that would have changed via the law, would be that the clinic would have to show the mother the pictures of her child before she could kill it. "ZOMG the horrors!" It got spun as "GOP wants to rape women!!!!eleventyone11!!" because that fit the BS War on Women narrative they were trying to spin.

I think it's funny how lefties are so in favor of governmental health and safety regs and fully informed consumer laws except for abortion. Cause they know that many women wouldn't go through with it if they understood what was actually happening.

Don't need to see it to know I don't want it.

The theroy that guilt tripping woman who want an abortion is a good idea is the real BS.

Chalk another vote for Sarvis up to not gonna vote for Cucinilli anyway. If not for Sarvis, I doubt I would have even bothered to go. It's a shame he didn't get the 10%.

If the GOP wants the libertarian vote (or libertarian leaning votes) then they can put up canadates that appeal to those voters. I can promise that a socially conservative Roman Cathlic that uses political office as his pulpit is not ever going to get that vote.
If they don't do that, then they can stop whining about tinfoilery scemes that Dems are splitting the votes.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2013, 06:44:59 PM »
My fear is, generally, that we're rapidly arriving at the end of the "awkward stage".  NYC has elected an in-your-face progressive redistributionist who campaigned on the promise to raise taxes on the rich.  Jersey just set up a RINO to be our next GOP candidate for POTUS.

Hutch is a somber panda
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

• friends
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2013, 06:59:01 PM »
You mean the Democrats raised $35 million while the Republicans raised $20 million.  Which would be the DNC outspent the RNC 1.75 to 1.

Facts are pesky things.

Yes they are
You are aware that the rnc and dnc are specific organizations?
And that they operate under "hard money" restrictions?
And that they represent a fraction of the totals raised during a campaign?

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2013, 07:11:16 PM »
My fear is, generally, that we're rapidly arriving at the end of the "awkward stage".  NYC has elected an in-your-face progressive redistributionist who campaigned on the promise to raise taxes on the rich.  Jersey just set up a RINO to be our next GOP candidate for POTUS.

Hutch is a somber panda

And that is why I will be voting 3rd party next election.  I don't agree with the libertarians on drug issues, but at least they err on the side of freedom, as opposed to the stupid party and the quasi-communist party.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2013, 07:21:25 PM »
Don't need to see it to know I don't want it.

The theroy that guilt tripping woman who want an abortion is a good idea is the real BS.

Chalk another vote for Sarvis up to not gonna vote for Cucinilli anyway. If not for Sarvis, I doubt I would have even bothered to go. It's a shame he didn't get the 10%.

If the GOP wants the libertarian vote (or libertarian leaning votes) then they can put up canadates that appeal to those voters. I can promise that a socially conservative Roman Cathlic that uses political office as his pulpit is not ever going to get that vote.
If they don't do that, then they can stop whining about tinfoilery scemes that Dems are splitting the votes.

the idea that it was going to force doctors to rape innocent womyn was the real BS. The other is a debatable matter, .gov out of healthcare vs fully informed consent. I just grow weary of hearing silly War on Women talking points regurgitated as though they were fact.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2013, 07:23:39 PM »
Also, those evil evil socons who need to become D-lites in order to appease the theoretically mighty Libertarian vote got %45. The Libertarian got %6. I know which side I think needs the other more. Perhaps it's the L's who need to tone down their offensive rhetoric on red line issues in order to garner more popular support?

• friends
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2013, 07:25:01 PM »

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2013, 09:22:12 PM »
A good look at the role Sarvis played. Folks who voted L would have went for the D instead of the R 2-1 so it was a significant net positive for Cuccinelli.

http://ideas.time.com/2013/11/06/stop-scapegoating-third-party-candidates-for-election-results/?iid=op-main-lead

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2013, 09:30:55 PM »
A good look at the role Sarvis played. Folks who voted L would have went for the D instead of the R 2-1 so it was a significant net positive for Cuccinelli.

http://ideas.time.com/2013/11/06/stop-scapegoating-third-party-candidates-for-election-results/?iid=op-main-lead

I actually mentioned this the other day on FB.

My bosses and I were joking around and I fussed at them because I hadn't gotten to the polls yet.
The younger made a snark about her vote canceling out mine anyway. She assumed I was going to vote for Cucinilli. I snarked back and told her I was voting for Sarvis.
She got bummed out. She admitted that she only voted for McCalif because she didn't want cucinilli to win.

She's a die hard democrate, yet she hates McCalif. It made me think that Sarvis was probably getting a lot of support because a lot of Democratic voters hated their option just as much as the more conservative (republicans, libertarians and tea partiers) vote dislike cucinilli.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2013, 10:29:00 PM »
the idea that it was going to force doctors to rape innocent womyn was the real BS. The other is a debatable matter, .gov out of healthcare vs fully informed consent. I just grow weary of hearing silly War on Women talking points regurgitated as though they were fact.

Get your laws off my body!

Oh, wait, Obamacare? Take me now!!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife