Author Topic: Sen. John McCain (edited) has died.  (Read 6623 times)

Phyphor

• friend
Re: Sen. John McCain (almost) dead.
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2018, 09:09:11 PM »
Yeah, it didn't take long.

May he rest in peace.

"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2018, 09:16:04 PM »
*Appropriate noises*

Well,  that's over.  Deity of his choice rest his soul.  This will get interesting.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2018, 09:26:30 PM »
Though I'm sure McCain would qualify for TCC (fed version of COBRA), which would give him 18 more months of insurance that he pays himself after he separates, and it sounds like that would be long enough, given his prognosis.

McCain is well covered regardless of what he does.  He has served in the senate more than long enough to retire and keep medical benefits that way.  He is retired military and thus has Tricare and VA coverage.  He's also rich and able to pay for stuff that way.

If he wasn't so dedicated, I'd have recommended that he retire and finish his life with those he loves.

edit - and now I see that he has passed.  My grandmother passed about as quickly when she decided against further medical treatment.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2018, 09:50:11 PM »
May his family find peace.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Re: Sen. John McCain (edited) has died.
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2018, 01:32:25 AM »
So, any word yet on the replacement most likely to be appointed?  And will that person be similarly mavricky, just a standard RINO, or someone conservatives can actually support?  Does this change the calculus for the Kavanaugh vote?
Formerly sumpnz

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: Sen. John McCain (edited) has died.
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2018, 01:05:41 PM »
Well I would say it lowers the odds of a no vote just to say fu to Trump.
So, any word yet on the replacement most likely to be appointed?  And will that person be similarly mavricky, just a standard RINO, or someone conservatives can actually support?  Does this change the calculus for the Kavanaugh vote?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2018, 12:10:41 AM »
I'll just state right now that this is going to be an "If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't even think of making a post" thread. This will be the only warning.

I didn't agree with all of his politics but, I would by God back him up for his having earned the right to say whatever he found to be aprapo. He earned his right to say whatever he found to be appropriate. Rest peacefully Captain McCain.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2018, 07:49:28 AM »
I didn't agree with all of his politics but, I would by God back him up for his having earned the right to say whatever he found to be aprapo. He earned his right to say whatever he found to be appropriate. Rest peacefully Captain McCain.

Not to threadjack, but freedom of speech is not an earned right.  His experiences were deeper than most people's but it doesn't give him any more or less rights than anyone else.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2018, 11:54:39 AM »
Holy hell people are starting to go absolutely apeshit about the White House flag going back to full staff this morning.

Screeching how Trump is disrespecting McCain (even though it followed the letter of US Flag Code).

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2018, 11:56:01 AM »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2018, 12:12:05 PM »
Holy hell people are starting to go absolutely apeshit about the White House flag going back to full staff this morning.

Screeching how Trump is disrespecting McCain (even though it followed the letter of US Flag Code).

I saw that this morning and was following it for a while. Heads are exploding all over the place. Just another excuse to bash the President and they wonder why their ratings are lower than whale poop.

bob

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2018, 12:45:26 PM »
Truly a no win situation.

He follows US Flag Code and he's accused of not showing any respect.

I'm sure that had he extended it to Code + X days = Some sort of respect the same people would be losing their minds over CROCODILE TEARS!!!!

I normally say people need to get their heads out of their assess, but in this case I think they need to shove them deeper... Might muffle the sound.

Thank God the Gov in Arizona is a Republican (not a particularly good one, but... hope). Pray to God he nominates someone who will do the correct thing on the Kavanaugh nomination.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2018, 01:48:14 PM »
I saw that this morning and was following it for a while. Heads are exploding all over the place. Just another excuse to bash the President and they wonder why their ratings are lower than whale poop.

I couldn't find anything in the flag code about how long the flag is flown at half staff after the death of a prominent politician.  Seems to at be the discretion of the President, except for Memorial Day.  (half staff until noon, then raised)
"It's good, though..."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2018, 02:05:24 PM »
Flag Code: https://www.military.com/flag-day/us-flag-code.html

The flag shall be flown at half-staff 30 days from the death of the President or a former President; 10 days from the day of death of the Vice President, the Chief Justice or a retired Chief Justice of the United States, or the Speaker of the House of Representatives; from the day of death until interment of an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, a Secretary of an executive or military department, a former Vice President, or the Governor of a State, territory, or possession; and on the day of death and the following day for a Member of Congress. The flag shall be flown at half-staff on Peace Officers Memorial Day, unless that day is also Armed Forces Day.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2018, 02:30:00 PM »
Flag Code: https://www.military.com/flag-day/us-flag-code.html

Thanks, I was looking at the code on a site that sells flags, and it wasn't complete.

I think he should have kept it at half-staff until sunset today instead of raising it at noon.
"It's good, though..."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2018, 02:32:26 PM »
How involved was Trump in determining when to raise the flag?  That seems like a job that someone else would handle.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

BobR

• friend
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2018, 02:51:25 PM »
How involved was Trump in determining when to raise the flag?  That seems like a job that someone else would handle.

I am pretty confident in saying his involvement in this was NOT issuing a proclamation extending the flag lowering. Without that the office in charge of the flag would have followed the US Flag code and brought it down at the appropriate time. He is just an easy target and it gives the MSM something to wail about because it is his house.

bob

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2018, 03:26:40 PM »
he was ok afaik on gun issues.
I hope we as a country move away from having a "governing class".
It's way past due for term limits in my opinion.
RIP mr McCain
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2018, 04:01:23 PM »
It's way past due for term limits in my opinion.

And national reciprocity!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2018, 05:24:33 PM »
The flag is back at half-mast and will remain so until interment. That is stupid. If they wanted to leave it lowered a little longer than the flag code says, I guess that wouldn't have been a big deal, but raising then lowering it again almost creates more politicizing and more crap for CNN to go on about.

I suppose it's presidential prerogative, but now it will just start a whole big thing anytime any Senator dies in the future. This and future administrations will about be stuck doing the "until interment" thing for all of them, or else will have to explain why one Senator is not as important as another.

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2018/08/27/change-of-heart-white-houses-flag-back-at-half-staff-for-john-mccain/

Edit: Apparently Obama did similar for Ted Kennedy, so there seems to be precedent for picking and choosing.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BobR

• friend
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2018, 05:31:46 PM »

I suppose it's presidential prerogative, but now it will just start a whole big thing anytime any Senator dies in the future. They'll about be stuck doing the "until interment" thing for all of them, or else will have to explain why one Senator is not as important as another.

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2018/08/27/change-of-heart-white-houses-flag-back-at-half-staff-for-john-mccain/

That is how all of this got started, BHO did the lowering bit until internment for anybody and anyone it seemed (N. Reagan for example). So now because one President did it a few times it is now "tradition".

bob

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2018, 06:23:44 PM »
The flag is back at half-mast and will remain so until interment. That is stupid.

They should twich it up and down a foot or two, at random times.  The usual suspects will fixate on that for the speculation.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2018, 11:25:32 PM »
They should twitch it up and down a foot or two, at random times.  The usual suspects will fixate on that for the speculation.

That really appeals to my sense of humor.   :rofl:

But it would be disrespectful to Senator McCain, so...
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2018, 07:26:50 AM »
I thought flying the American flag was racist anyway, right?  ???
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: Sen. John McCain (edited) has died.
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2018, 12:10:13 PM »
I thought flying the American flag was racist anyway, right?  ???
Not when it can be used for political gain by nitwits. Then it's okie dookie.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.