Author Topic: Mandatory public service for young Americans  (Read 3813 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Mandatory public service for young Americans
« on: January 23, 2019, 05:33:13 PM »
https://www.npr.org/2019/01/23/687715869/should-young-americans-be-required-to-do-public-service-federal-panel-says-maybe?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20190123&fbclid=IwAR0-ZapJmZtznwj-MtHLIZS7pGj_UuCmzdMVPD67ZVYjpwH3qfnvlEVKy0I

This commission is also looking at many other things, such as requiring women to register for the draft, etc.  I have often thought we need the 21st century equivalent of the Civilian Conservation Corps, to start working on the billions of dollars of backlogged upkeep and new construction in our National Parks and other wilderness lands.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MikeB

• friend
Re: Mandatory public service for young Americans
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 05:54:17 PM »
I have always thought we should have mandatory service. You get to pick between military, healthcare, national parks, maybe some infrastructure building, stuff like that. Everyone serves. Make it somewhat flexible so people can attend college, or pursue trades. Some of that could be done at the same time. We would still need professional volunteer military, this could lead to that for those so inclined so no draft, outside a WW2 situation people completing their service don’t get sent overseas.

I actually think it would help people to have more pride in the country and help teach life skills.

Most important though. If you don’t participate and complete your service you don’t get to vote.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 06:24:06 PM »
Like every good American, I also favor mandatory left-wing indoctrination camps.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 06:58:40 PM »
Like every good American, I also favor mandatory left-wing indoctrination camps.

Yea, what we imagine and what we would get probably would be two different things.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 07:25:28 PM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 07:19:24 PM »
Make it retail, hospitality, customer service, or internship in a service/trade and I might just be on board.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 07:21:52 PM »
 :rofl:

Much right of center. Very wow. So limited government.
I promise not to duck.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 07:27:45 PM »
I have always thought we should have mandatory service. You get to pick between military, healthcare, national parks, maybe some infrastructure building, stuff like that. Everyone serves. Make it somewhat flexible so people can attend college, or pursue trades. Some of that could be done at the same time. We would still need professional volunteer military, this could lead to that for those so inclined so no draft, outside a WW2 situation people completing their service don’t get sent overseas.

I actually think it would help people to have more pride in the country and help teach life skills.

Most important though. If you don’t participate and complete your service you don’t get to vote.

Service Guarantees Citizenship!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 07:34:32 PM »
Service Guarantees Citizenship!

Would You Like To Know More?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2019, 07:51:30 PM »
I once worked with a physician who went to medical school in West Germany and subsequently came over here. He said that West Germany (at least at the time) had mandatory national service for young people, and if you did not want to join the military, you did 'a social year' doing scut work in a hospital, nursing home or some other human services work.  He was in favor of it.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2019, 08:03:39 PM »
Hell.No.
Mandatory servitude is a happy-feely way of saying slavery.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2019, 08:58:35 PM »
Hell.No.

Indeed.  I much prefer them just ponying up the money to do things properly, if they're going to do them.  Rather than drafting people.

That said, I also support the government being some sort of employer of last resort.  It shouldn't pay much, but be kind of like enlisting in the Army as an E-1 Open.  They decide where you're going to work, what you will be working on, provide training if necessary, and provide food, shelter, and clothing while paying you a minimal stipend.

Hell, give them something like 1/2 of the GI bill.  4 years gives two years of some equivalent of GI bill benefits.

Just have it be all volunteer.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2019, 09:06:21 PM »
Absolutely positively not

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2019, 09:24:07 PM »
Indeed.  I much prefer them just ponying up the money to do things properly, if they're going to do them.  Rather than drafting people.

That said, I also support the government being some sort of employer of last resort.  It shouldn't pay much, but be kind of like enlisting in the Army as an E-1 Open.  They decide where you're going to work, what you will be working on, provide training if necessary, and provide food, shelter, and clothing while paying you a minimal stipend.

Hell, give them something like 1/2 of the GI bill.  4 years gives two years of some equivalent of GI bill benefits.

Just have it be all volunteer.

It will just become a new form of welfare and some judge will tell them they can't force them to work and they have to pay for sex changes and drug/needles. 

As said above, what you imagine and what will actually happen are two different things.  The worst version of your idea you can imagine probably gets you half way there. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2019, 10:08:30 PM »
Hell.No.

I was going to say "Lotsa luck getting anything mandatory nowadays."

So you beat me to it.

Oh, won't the law indu$try have a field day ha$hing thi$ one out?
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2019, 09:14:10 AM »
I do favor the USA setting up mandatory militia training and service for young men like the Swiss do it- but only if they can take their weapon home like the Swiss.  It would do a lot to make the Second Amendment a more effective deterrent on tyranny, as it was originally designed to do.  I admire the Swiss system.  It helps keep the gov accountable.

Mandatory militia service was pretty standard in the colonial period and early USA.

I do absolutely oppose mandatory "social service" rubbish.  More slave-like left wing indoctrination.

Women in the draft?  Get the women out of all combat position in the military instead.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2019, 09:22:26 AM »

Thread win, full stop.

"mandatory" anything is unamerican.  Period.

Could you require service to receive certain perks? Sure.  Free college? Access to the GI Bill via conservation corps, etc? 

But mandatory?  *expletive deleted*ck no.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

brimic

• friends
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2019, 09:23:15 AM »
The idea that universal militia training would prevent tyranny is the exact reason why the idea will be quashed at every opportunity.

The local HS which my son attends requires 100 hrs of volunteer service in order to graduate.
I’m very much opposed to this nonsense as well, it really degrades the meaning of volunteering when you are required to do it.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2019, 09:28:24 AM »
Get the women out of all combat position in the military instead.

;/

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/afghanistan/8408236/Female-medic-awarded-Military-Cross-for-bravery.html

Women have been defacto in combat positions for over 30 years. And the invasion into Iraq was telling of such.  Convoy drivers. Pilots.  Many other positions that aren't combat, but being placed into harms way and having to act.

You think women can't perform in a combat role?
They already have.
My Marine Sister Lt. Turpin is a prime example
https://www.mcbhawaii.marines.mil/News/News-Article-Display/Article/539638/54-hours-of-valor-female-marine-awarded-combat-v/
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2019, 09:30:52 AM »
Perhaps not mandatory, but maybe there is a viable way to incentivize a voluntary year of service at ~18. A college stipend or $5000 put into an IRA or something.

Only because I have found that people I interacted with in my working years who have done "dirty jobs" (in the Mike Rowe sense) have generally been better grounded and seemed to have more common sense than those who went from High School to college to a cubicle in a govt office.

If nothing else, working as a roustabout in the oil patch instead of going to college right out of High School taught me that I didn't want to do hard labor all my life and made me appreciate the job I got after paying my way through college. Many times when I was having a bad day at work I thought to myself, "You could be carrying bags of sandblasting sand up three floors of ladders on an offshore rig." And I also happened to learn a lot of manly tool skills during that time that came in handy later in life. "Specialization is for insects."

Edit: Jamis hit on the incentivizing while I was typing.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Pb

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2019, 09:34:48 AM »
Deleted.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2019, 09:43:53 AM »
Eff this. 

This is using coercion to create a class of "super citizens" who get special benefits versus those that may choose not to do the service.  Or those that have religious/philosophical objections to the forms of service the government wants versus alternatives in the private charitable sector or just plain old private sector.

And on top of that, it's using stolen tax revenues to accomplish the goal.

I already loathe every cent the government takes from me via sales/income/property taxes (I can accept more market-oriented approaches to usage fees for certain government services, i.e. airport taxes on plane tickets and similar).  I'll loathe it to a higher degree if my stolen money is used to indoctrinate and create more AOC's via additional year(s) of commie/statist exposure on top of everything received from public schools.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2019, 09:45:50 AM »
I should add something regarding "Conservation Corps".

California has the California Conservation Corps. I may be prejudiced, or may simply not have enough data points, but whenever I see a van load of these kids, it reminds me more of a Juvie road crew doing their community service in lieu of jail time than it does bright young kids doing good works on their way to a bright future.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Pb

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2019, 09:45:53 AM »
;/

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/afghanistan/8408236/Female-medic-awarded-Military-Cross-for-bravery.html

Women have been defacto in combat positions for over 30 years. And the invasion into Iraq was telling of such.  Convoy drivers. Pilots.  Many other positions that aren't combat, but being placed into harms way and having to act.

You think women can't perform in a combat role?
They already have.
My Marine Sister Lt. Turpin is a prime example
https://www.mcbhawaii.marines.mil/News/News-Article-Display/Article/539638/54-hours-of-valor-female-marine-awarded-combat-v/

Women on average make worse soldiers than men.  The perform worse on military tasks.  They are injured more frequently.  This is based on women average lack of strength and greater body frailty to injury.  That is an empirical fact that can be determined by testing.  And it has been:

https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/your-marine-corps/2015/09/10/mixed-gender-teams-come-up-short-in-marines-infantry-experiment/

Like you said, some women are brave and perform well.  But on average, women do much worse, and adding them to units makes the whole unit perform worse.  That is an actual fact, not anecdotes based on exceptional individuals.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2019, 09:49:22 AM »
Keeping standards for such roles high is the obvious answer.  Anyone that can perform at the required level should be allowed to do the job.
JD

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2019, 10:11:54 AM »
Women on average make worse soldiers than men.  The perform worse on military tasks.  They are injured more frequently.  This is based on women average lack of strength and greater body frailty to injury.  That is an empirical fact that can be determined by testing.  And it has been:

https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/your-marine-corps/2015/09/10/mixed-gender-teams-come-up-short-in-marines-infantry-experiment/

Like you said, some women are brave and perform well.  But on average, women do much worse, and adding them to units makes the whole unit perform worse.  That is an actual fact, not anecdotes based on exceptional individuals.
So as long as standards are kept high, there will always be few women in combat so it all works itself out.   =)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge