Author Topic: Mandatory public service for young Americans  (Read 3816 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Mandatory public service for young Americans
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2019, 10:16:50 AM »
Perhaps not mandatory, but maybe there is a viable way to incentivize a voluntary year of service at ~18. A college stipend or $5000 put into an IRA or something.

Only because I have found that people I interacted with in my working years who have done "dirty jobs" (in the Mike Rowe sense) have generally been better grounded and seemed to have more common sense than those who went from High School to college to a cubicle in a govt office.

If nothing else, working as a roustabout in the oil patch instead of going to college right out of High School taught me that I didn't want to do hard labor all my life and made me appreciate the job I got after paying my way through college. Many times when I was having a bad day at work I thought to myself, "You could be carrying bags of sandblasting sand up three floors of ladders on an offshore rig." And I also happened to learn a lot of manly tool skills during that time that came in handy later in life. "Specialization is for insects."

Edit: Jamis hit on the incentivizing while I was typing.
What AZRedhawk44 said.  

Also, considering how corrupt many things are, there is no way to guarantee EVERY kid did hard work or learned anything.  More than likely you would see 10 people assigned to do the work that 1 or 2 people should do and all it would teach is laziness.  Then you would have the kids with connected parents getting assigned to cushy jobs as an intern for a Congressman or something and learning nothing but how to spend more of my money.  Then you would see someone sue because they were a different race and were assigned to clean toilets somewhere and the resultant anti-discrimination policies would screw it up even more.

With our current govt, it would just be a big waste of time and money and full of indoctrination disguised as "training".  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2019, 10:20:11 AM »
What would be better IMO, is to get rid of food stamps and welfare and force young people to get a job or starve.  That would be the best way to learn the value of hard work. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

brimic

• friends
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2019, 10:47:44 AM »
What AZRedhawk44 said.  

Also, considering how corrupt many things are, there is no way to guarantee EVERY kid did hard work or learned anything.  More than likely you would see 10 people assigned to do the work that 1 or 2 people should do and all it would teach is laziness.  Then you would have the kids with connected parents getting assigned to cushy jobs as an intern for a Congressman or something and learning nothing but how to spend more of my money.  Then you would see someone sue because they were a different race and were assigned to clean toilets somewhere and the resultant anti-discrimination policies would screw it up even more.

With our current govt, it would just be a big waste of time and money and full of indoctrination disguised as "training".  

>:D
Give all of the kids a paycheck for $15/hr.
Take out federal/state/FICA from the checks.
Take the remainder of the money and mark it as something lefty sounding like :donated to the less fortunate, or for feeding refugees in east elbonia.
 >:D

They will learn something from this.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2019, 11:30:08 AM »
There is an “internet law” or meme out there something to the effect that “Any organization whose purpose and staff is not overtly right wing will eventually become a leftist organization.”

Like public schools this would just become another avenue for leftist indoctrination.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2019, 03:10:48 PM »
You think women can't perform in a combat role?
They already have.

I'm sure they can. It's not a question of can. It's a question of, should we knowingly put women in that kind of danger, even if they volunteer? The answer is, no, we should not treat women that way, even if some think it grants women some kind of empowerment or dignity. It is wrong.

Like public schools this would just become another avenue for leftist indoctrination.

Of course.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2019, 03:19:13 PM »
I'm sure they can. It's not a question of can. It's a question of, should we knowingly put women in that kind of danger, even if they volunteer? The answer is, no, we should not treat women that way, even if some think it grants women some kind of empowerment or dignity. It is wrong.

Of course.

If my son can get drafted and shot at, I see no reason why my daughter should not be afforded the same opportunity.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2019, 03:34:11 PM »
If my son can get drafted and shot at, I see no reason why my daughter should not be afforded the same opportunity.

Can't figure that out, huh?

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2019, 04:01:14 PM »
Someone said,

Can't figure that out, huh?

Unless someone is kidding, I think someone forgot the baby-making ratio.

One man can make a hundred babies in nine months.

But one woman cannot make a hundred babies in nine months.

A lot of people forget that the two sexes should not be treated identically in all respects.  That's a real fact of life, to be ignored at your cultural peril.

Terry, not a misogynist, but a realist, 230RN
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 04:16:40 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2019, 04:18:11 PM »
^^^And this is exactly the sort of thinking that even the younger Republicans, as mentioned in another thread will be supplanting as they grow older.  How many 20-30 year olds think about gender roles as do you and Fistful?  Not very many, I bet.  And for that matter, darn few of my 50 year old plus social and professional circles feel that way.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2019, 04:24:39 PM »
^^^And this is exactly the sort of thinking that even the younger Republicans, as mentioned in another thread will be supplanting as they grow older.  How many 20-30 year olds think about gender roles as do you and Fistful?  Not very many, I bet.  And for that matter, darn few of my 50 year old plus social and professional circles feel that way.

"And that after this is accomplished, and the brave new world begins
When all men are paid for existing and no man must pay for his sins,
As surely as Water will wet us, as surely as Fire will burn,
The Gods of the Copybook Headings with terror and slaughter return!"
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2019, 04:24:53 PM »

It's funny to me that you think you need to explain this to us.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2019, 04:29:32 PM »
I'm reminded of Theodore Dalrymple talking to a young lady about the dangers of dating an abusive man (after having been abused) in "Life at the bottom"

(Paraphrasing)

"I can take care of myself!"

But men are generally physically stronger than women and you are putting yourself in danger with such men.

"That's sexist!"

Shorter? Reality doesn't care about your feelings.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2019, 04:40:57 PM »
It's funny to me that you think you need to explain this to us.

So you are against mansplaining?  You are so woke.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2019, 04:46:49 PM »
It's not a question of can. It's a question of should... It is wrong.
Reality doesn't care about your feelings.
???
I'm not sure anyone is even talking about the same thing here anymore, but my gut says fistful is wrong.
Although it's a man gut so maybe I shouldn't trust it.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2019, 05:07:24 PM »
So you are against mansplaining?  You are so woke.

Like the profile says, I'm more into gunsplaining.

I don't understand responding to someone's viewpoint by saying that his ideas are no longer in style. Is that how you form your opinions? Majority rules?  ???

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2019, 05:28:50 PM »
First world countries go crazy destroying their cultures and religion, stop breeding then import new citizens.

Doesn’t seem very sustainable.

Mandatory service to the state? Is that like catechism class for the unbelievers where they learn how to properly serve the state?  :laugh:

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: Mandatory public service for young Americans
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2019, 05:38:42 PM »
Someone said,

A lot of people forget that the two sexes should not be treated identically in all respects.  That's a real fact of life, to be ignored at your cultural peril.

And in just what scenario do you see one man essentially breeding 100 women? How's that work with the whole one man and one woman thing? And for the government interference that would certainly be necessary to facilitate such I'm gonna go ahead and guess you'd scream bloody murder. Cause being drafted into being a brood mare is so much better than potentially being shot at.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2019, 05:40:57 PM »
And in just what scenario do you see one man essentially breeding 100 women? How's that work with the whole one man and one woman thing? And for the government interference that would certainly be necessary to facilitate such I'm gonna go ahead and guess you'd scream bloody murder. Cause being drafted into being a brood mare is so much better than potentially being shot at.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

If I may, I believe his point was sperm is cheap, eggs are priceless.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2019, 07:47:45 PM »
Someone said,

If you're a government accountant, basic math says that while 1 woman can make 1 baby in 9 months, nine women can make that 1 baby in 1 month.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2019, 07:54:59 PM »
If you're a government accountant, basic math says that while 1 woman can make 1 baby in 9 months, nine women can make that 1 baby in 1 month.

I sincerely doubt it works that way .....  [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2019, 08:02:23 PM »
If I may, I believe his point was sperm is cheap, eggs are priceless.

You may.   and thanks.

Good one.  I heard that joke in relation to something else.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 08:38:02 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2019, 10:25:06 PM »
I sincerely doubt it works that way .....  [tinfoil]
Then don't bother applying for any government accounting jobs.   ;)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2019, 10:37:24 PM »
Mandatory service?  Hell no,  too many retards make it through boot already.

Extra incentives for prior service?  Not opposed.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2019, 11:47:26 PM »
I'm not sure where exactly this fits in, but when I was in high school I wanted to take some classes at the local vocational technical school.  Later in high school I had extra space in my schedule which I wanted to use learning some metal fab.  I had every intention on moving right on into a bachelors program after high school, but with some free time, why not learn some hands on stuff I wanted to know.

I was strongly, strongly advised against this by everyone.  High school guidance counselors, college admission folks, family, etc. all said I should not do that.  The reason being that it would look bad to admissions folks; it would look like I was not committed to a path of higher education.

I found this frustrating.  It felt like social expectations dictated that learning hands on skills was beneath someone who was pursuing a professional position. Later on in life after graduating and getting a professional job, I went back to night school at a local community college to improve my hands on skills in topics that interest me.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2019, 05:24:50 AM »
^^^^
My son wants to be an engineer.
He’s in all the right classes in a very good HS which should prepare him well.
My best hope is that he takes a few metal working electives- his school has an incredible machine shop.
His mom keeps pushing him to take fluff classes for electives, all I can to is to plant the seed.

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama