Author Topic: Do we not have a gardening thread yet this year?  (Read 13150 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: Do we not have a gardening thread yet this year?
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2011, 08:02:29 PM »
That's a fine looking house you got there, ML.   I thought I was looking at a realtor's brochure.

Thank you.

Here's more of my wife's handiwork (all I know about flowers is how to kill them).

« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 02:38:25 PM by Monkeyleg »

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2011, 02:39:17 PM »
And this:

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2011, 02:40:52 PM »
And these (you'll notice that I haven't mowed the lawn, which is one of my husbandly duties):

castle key

• friend
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2011, 03:02:13 PM »
Squirrels are a big problem for me right now...

They are killing the strawberries, eating the baby pepper plants, munching the radishes, enjoying a pesto sauce from the basil, and generally sending me into a homicidal rage.

Detcord will not go over well with my neighbors but the pellet gun is in play.

How about any chemical solutions?

Any cure must not harm my dog!!

One last solution is  [ar15]!

Suggestions??

HELP!!!!
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2011, 03:39:14 PM »
Denatonium saccharide spray will keep deer, rabbits, and squirrels from munching your plants.  (I can't think of the product name I bought; the trade name in Bitrex and I think it's made by Repel)  Use it on your young pepper and tomato plants and on ornamentals.  I would not spray it on greens or radishes or basil or *you* won't be able to eat them either.
"It's good, though..."

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2011, 08:06:21 PM »
I haz a garden this year too!

Same hanging planters I had last year but without trying tomatoes in the middle buckets.  They came out tasteless and deformed last year.  The peppers did much better so I'm going all peppers and spices except on the far planter.  In the bottom of that planter is a cherry tomato that will get tied off to the fence as it grows.  That one did great last year.

Mix of peppers and tomatoes with some flowers and spinach in the one corner.

Over all view.  The planter on the right is a mix of lettuce, carrots, cucumbers, and sugar snap peas on the closest end.  There is a trellis I built shortly after this picture was taken on that end for the peas to climb.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2011, 11:36:13 PM »
Dinner this evening consisted of salad made from fresh picked romaine lettuce, baby carrots, radishes, green onions and baby spinach. New potatoes with fresh garlic scapes and butter (store bought butter), fresh picked and shelled peas and T-bone steaks from the beef I raised with my neighbor.

Still be a little while before I can include fresh 'maters.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2011, 01:16:46 AM »
Ate the first ripe tomato from my garden yesterday. =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2011, 11:45:44 PM »
I've got a litle over 60#s of ripe tomatoes ready for market Saturday =D

Early girl
Beefsteak
Cherokee Purple
Roma
Amish Paste
Cherry tomatoes

Had bacon, tomato and bacon sandwiches for supper.

Samuel Adams

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2011, 10:05:12 AM »
I've got a litle over 60#s of ripe tomatoes ready for market Saturday =D

Early girl
Beefsteak
Cherokee Purple
Roma
Amish Paste
Cherry tomatoes

Had bacon, tomato and bacon sandwiches for supper.

I have a single flower on one of my tomato plants....   =|

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2011, 12:06:08 AM »
My tomatoes, tomatillos, and peppers have all just started blooming.  I've never had tomatoes bloom this early in Minnesota.  I have a 5 gallon bucket that I threw a big handful of triple superphosphate in, and I piss in it occasionally (don't tell my wife) and keep it topped up with water.  I use that to water the 'maters.  They seem to really like it.  (the peppers and tomatillos and rose bushes too, but especially the tomatoes)

Almost forgot, cue the Bear Grylls pix.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 12:52:40 AM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2011, 10:46:57 AM »
As of this morning I've picked 105#s of 'maters from my hoop house.

Samuel Adams

Lee

• friend
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2011, 04:54:39 PM »
I've picked and eaten so much damned lettuce and broccoli, that I pulled all but one plant out this weekend.  Looking forward to the maters, cucumbers and 5 types of peppers now.

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2011, 08:08:09 PM »
Dinner was partially from the garden..  spinach, green onions, and radishes in the salad.  It's going to be a few more weeks before the lettuce is big enough to start picking especially after having to replant about 2/3 of it because of Sylvester the (now) stinky cat.  Tomatoes, peppers, carrots, cucumbers, and sugar snap peas are months away.  The growing season starts a little later in Montana!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2011, 10:18:47 PM »
To date I've picked over 300#s of 'maters. I a now in a life or death struggle with stink bugs. At least half of my tomatoes are not salable due to insect damage :mad:.

Also selling peppers and potatoes. My green beans pretty well burned up in our above average heat wave.
Okra is coming on strong, 2 pickings so far and we've put 6 qts in the freezer and had 2 meals.
Squash is coming along but I was late getting it in and I'm fighting squash bugs pretty hard.

Between bugs, drought and above average heat it isn't going to be a great year but it is so far a pretty good year.

At least I'm eating good.

Samuel Adams

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2011, 05:35:13 AM »
If it ain't one thing it's another.
I've got a little less than a 1/4 acre planted to watermelons. Some sort of vermin is eating the leaves off the plants. The ground is soft enough to leave tracks and I'm finding no deer tracks but I have seen glimpses of some sort of small furry vermin skittering down the hill a few times, might be a woodchuck but I haven't gotten a good enough look yet. First chance I get I will camo up and lay in wait for the bastages from the tree line. [ar15]
0nly 1.25" of rain in June where our average is 4.5" has put a hurting on my garden.

Samuel Adams

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2011, 03:26:27 PM »
This is what we have so far this year:

Ten 4x4 square foot raised bed garden boxes, and several fruit trees and bushes in pots on the patio.
I finished putting in a drip watering system to all ten boxes plus the raspberry bush two weeks ago. We're hoping that will provide better growth while lowering our water bill.

Looking west, nine of the ten garden boxes.

The tenth garden box, all strawberries, and the raspberry bush to its right.  We are seeing nice production from both this year.

The pots on the patio have two dwarf apple trees, a peach tree that isn't doing all that well, a blueberry bush, and bringing up the right rear next to the picnic table is a hybrid lemon tree that can actually live in this region.  It is just starting to grow lemons.

We're getting ready to put in three more square-foot garden boxes in the back yard (not visible in these pics).  They will be 4x8 foot boxes for cold weather greens and such.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 04:24:55 PM by RocketMan »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2011, 03:42:59 PM »
This is mine about three weeks ago.  Of course it's way taller now.   First tomatoes are just ripening.  We've been eating yellow squash and zucchini for over a week and we have a few cucumbers.  The asparagus patch is the weedy looking thing you can barely see on the far left.  We had asparagus from mid-April into mid-June.  I planted 17 more crowns this year so in a couple of years we'll way too much.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2011, 04:27:24 PM »
That is a nice looking garden patch, Ben.  And your garden guard dog is on duty, I see.
Our asparagus is in its second year, so it's not producing as yet.  We need to plant more as SWMBO and I can darn near live on the stuff.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.