Author Topic: Firefly dialog keeps showing up  (Read 42813 times)

Silver Bullet

• friend
Firefly dialog keeps showing up
« on: March 31, 2010, 12:47:59 AM »
In Serenity (the movie), there's a point when the crew first arrives on Miranda, when Jayne states (speaking of River) "She's going to damage my calm."

Twice in episodes of last year's Chuck, Adam Baldwin (as John Casey) made comments about "his calm".

In yesterday's episode of Castle, Richard Castle (Nathan Fillion) shoots the gun out of the bad guy's hand when the bad guy was about to shoot Castle's "partner" Kate Beckett.  Beckett says, "nice shot", and Castle replies, "I was aiming for his head."

Jayne spoke the exact same line in The Train Job, when he shot the knife out of Crow's hand as he was about to kill Mal with it, after Mal said "nice shot."

It's fun being in on the inside jokes.   :laugh:

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Firefly dialog keeps showing up
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 12:50:20 AM »
Dang it!  I just watched that, and totally missed it!   :facepalm:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 12:55:00 AM »
Jayne spoke the exact same line in The Train Job, when he shot the knife out of Crow's hand as he was about to kill Mal with it Crow's leg, after Mal said "nice shot."

:angel:
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 01:01:09 AM »

Also:

Firefly cast members doing voice work in Halo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFZJmZ8raC0

"Sure would be nice if we had some GRENADES, don't ya think??"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf1HkoECnOQ
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 01:03:40 AM »
In Serenity (the movie), there's a point when the crew first arrives on Miranda, when Jayne states (speaking of River) "She's going to damage my calm."

Twice in episodes of last year's Chuck, Adam Baldwin (as John Casey) made comments about "his calm".

In yesterday's episode of Castle, Richard Castle (Nathan Fillion) shoots the gun out of the bad guy's hand when the bad guy was about to shoot Castle's "partner" Kate Beckett.  Beckett says, "nice shot", and Castle replies, "I was aiming for his head."

Jayne spoke the exact same line in The Train Job, when he shot the knife out of Crow's hand as he was about to kill Mal with it, after Mal said "nice shot."

It's fun being in on the inside jokes.   :laugh:
Pfft.  "She is damaging my calm," is the quote.
Noob.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 01:06:32 AM »
Also:

Firefly cast members doing voice work in Halo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFZJmZ8raC0

"Sure would be nice if we had some GRENADES, don't ya think??"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf1HkoECnOQ
They're also pretty much the main characters in ODST, with their faces modeled on characters and all.
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 01:18:23 AM »
Also, Serenity was pretty much a total rip-off of Firefly.  The ship even looks almost the same.   ;/
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 01:44:02 AM »
Also, Serenity was pretty much a total rip-off of Firefly.  The ship even looks almost the same.   ;/
Huh?

taurusowner

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 01:57:25 AM »
I tried watching the first episode of Firefly, after hearing so many people on here rave about it.  I just couldn't get past the goofy props.  So much stuff was obviously from present/past real life.  It looked like their prop guy just raided a surplus store or gun show.  It ruined the show for me.

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 02:53:24 AM »
I tried watching the first episode of Firefly, after hearing so many people on here rave about it.  I just couldn't get past the goofy props.  So much stuff was obviously from present/past real life.  It looked like their prop guy just raided a surplus store or gun show.  It ruined the show for me.

BLASPHEMER!!!!!!!
Hi.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 03:08:32 AM »
Do you hate Star Wars also?

British Sterling

Mauser C96

Margolin .22 MTs

Or maybe Aliens?

plus

equals

and

plus

equals

And don't even get me started about the H&K VP70.

He's using an antique pistol that was rare when it was being manufactured!  :facepalm:
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010, 03:08:58 AM »
If you couldn't tell, it's a bit of a sore spot for me.  :P
"And are you?"
-Douglas Adams

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2010, 03:34:26 AM »
there is a lot of that in chuck, i have lost count of sources. :facepalm: dune d&d spaceballs(something in the background =D[might have been the dvd =|]) 007 in like flint, just to name a few. =D

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2010, 04:48:55 AM »

Do you hate Star Wars also?
<snip>
Or maybe Aliens?
<snip>
And don't even get me started about the H&K VP70.
<snip>
He's using an antique pistol that was rare when it was being manufactured!  :facepalm:

Not to mention that the pilot episode took place mostly on the outer planets (the actual pilot episode, Serenity, though the one Fox used instead, Train Job, also took place in the outer planets).

The outer planets are destitute, so they use outdated technology.  This is part of the plot. It's kind of like how you see old trapdoor Martini-Henrys or older rifles still show up in regular use in places in the middle east.

You don't really see any futuristic stuff in the Firefly 'verse besides space ships until they head into the inner planets, which are much more advanced. If you want a good example, check out the episode called Ariel, where they steal a bunch of meds from an inner-planet hospital.

You also have to realize that it's a TV show.  They don't get the budget of movies, so their props aren't going to be quite as good, and they have to do with what they can get cheaply.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 04:57:38 AM by Regolith »
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2010, 07:37:21 AM »
Ragnar missed the point of Firefly.  Don't you feel sorry for him, Brethren?  Isn't he to be pitied?
From here on we will just have to treat him as the cousin that everyone knows isn't quite right in the head.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2010, 08:05:01 AM »
The "nice shot" line is a lot older than Firefly.

In The Magnificent Seven the response was: "I was aiming for the horse"
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2010, 08:27:10 AM »

Part of the whole point was that people were dumped on other planets to colonize them.  Some colonies had money and neat things.  Others didn't, and reverted to a pioneer like lifestyle using outdated technology.  They explain that in the pilot.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2010, 08:52:48 AM »
it must be a fun job turning a pile o parts into an icon

"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2010, 08:57:44 AM »
Like Sanglant wrote, there are a ton of inside jokes, and allusions to other movies, shows, and memes in the TV show Chuck.  It is the only TV show I make a point to watch each week.

If you don't know already, Adam Baldwin is one of the main characters in Chuck.  He plays an NSA agent who really loves guns.  It's a bit of a stretch from his usual roles, but he handles it very well.   ;)

FYI, previous seasons of Chuck are available via NetFlix and http://www.nbc.com/chuck/video/categories/season-3/1191172

Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2010, 09:03:01 AM »
I tried watching the first episode of Firefly, after hearing so many people on here rave about it.  I just couldn't get past the goofy props.  So much stuff was obviously from present/past real life.  It looked like their prop guy just raided a surplus store or gun show.  It ruined the show for me.

During it's first run I caught a few minutes of the Fox network mis-chosen episode and thought "Meh, space-western" and tuned it out. I can live with re-used props and costumes from "today". The remake of Battlestar Galactica actually did it on purpose to great effect I think.

Horses on space ships and women walking around in 1800's petticoats... not so much. I couldn't get past that either. So I get what your saying.

It wasn't until years later as the Internet groundswell grew I learned about the great writing and dialogue and banter in Firefly. They could have done the whole show wearing leotards and on an empty sound stage like experimental theater, and it still would have been good.

Like Sanglant wrote, there are a ton of inside jokes, and allusions to other movies, shows, and memes in the TV show Chuck.  It is the only TV show I make a point to watch each week.

If you don't know already, Adam Baldwin is one of the main characters in Chuck.  He plays an NSA agent who really loves guns.  It's a bit of a stretch from his usual roles, but he handles it very well.   ;)

FYI, previous seasons of Chuck are available via NetFlix and http://www.nbc.com/chuck/video/categories/season-3/1191172

"Chuck" is even funnier if you've ever spent any time during your teens or college years working at a Best Buy, Circuit City, Fry's, or CompUSA.  :laugh:
I promise not to duck.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2010, 09:04:36 AM »
Pfft.  "She is damaging my calm," is the quote.
Noob.

Ahem,

Quote from: Jayne
She is startin' to damage my calm

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2010, 09:31:18 AM »
River: Run-tse duh shang-dee, ching dai-wuhtzo! Make them stop! They're everywhere! Every city, every… every house, every room—they're all inside me! I can hear them all and they're saying nothing! Get up! Please get up! Wuo-shang mayer, maysheen, byen shr-to… Please, God, make me a stone…
Jayne: [upset] She is starting to damage my calm…
Zoe: Jayne—
Jayne: She's right! Everybody's dead. This whole world's dead for no reason!

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Serenity_(film)
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2010, 09:32:12 AM »
I have been re-catching "Angel" weekday mornings on the tube.

Lots of Joss there.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2010, 10:30:52 AM »
Horses on space ships and women walking around in 1800's petticoats... not so much. I couldn't get past that either. So I get what your saying.
Would you rather they wore shiny silver jump suits and road big reptiles? 

The petticoats were only on one world I think and only among the rich there.  I can see styles would be radically different if people were isolated a bit or if hygiene practices were different. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2010, 11:10:16 AM »
I was kind of iffy on Chuck during its first season.  The second season was much better.

What's really fun about Chuck is the secondary, geeky characters, in the Buy More store.  They are hilarious! 

The two female leads (CIA agent and Chuck's sister) are great to look at, also.