Author Topic: Electric usage in the pellet stove era...  (Read 2192 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Electric usage in the pellet stove era...
« on: December 18, 2019, 01:22:49 PM »
Now that we're into full time heating mode, I decided to check my electrical usage for the first 22 days of this billing period.

In years past, with an all electric house, including my heat pump, I'd use roughly 1,000 KwHr for the December billing period, or around 30 KwHr a day.

So far in this billing period I've used 383 KwHr, or a little over 17 KwHr a day.

And I'm warm....
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MikeB

• friend
Re: Electric usage in the pellet stove era...
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2019, 01:58:34 PM »
Pellets stove heat real well, and no criticism, but I think you are missing part of the equation. How much did the electricity cost vs the pellets? I had a pellet stove at a previous house and wish I had one at my current house. I don’t recall the difference I paid in total being that much. I did however prefer the heat of the pellet stove and it was a lot easier to run off a generator.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2019, 02:22:59 PM »
My December bill just came in at 387 kWh.  It includes a little A/C and I got a used gas dryer so my old Maytag electric was retired.  I wasn't sure if that would make a noticeable dent in my bill, but I think it has.  My heat is natural gas.  Getting off electric appliances is nice if you have a good alternative. 
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 02:41:37 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2019, 05:46:26 PM »
Pellets stove heat real well, and no criticism, but I think you are missing part of the equation. How much did the electricity cost vs the pellets? I had a pellet stove at a previous house and wish I had one at my current house. I don’t recall the difference I paid in total being that much. I did however prefer the heat of the pellet stove and it was a lot easier to run off a generator.

This.  At least in my area, pellets are about 20% more expensive per unit of energy compared to natural gas.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2019, 07:00:28 PM »
This.  At least in my area, pellets are about 20% more expensive per unit of energy compared to natural gas.

Gotta love the cheap natural gas in the Midwest
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2019, 07:35:22 PM »
I don't know and I don't care.

Focus on the last sentence.

For the first time in 25 years, I'm truly warm and comfortable,  something I never felt with the heat pump..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2019, 07:36:09 PM »
And silly me! Why didn't I just turn on my natural gas tap....

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2019, 07:55:30 PM »
Well, I'm glad you're happy with your purchase and that it makes your home more comfortable.  =)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2019, 08:07:19 PM »
When I really started crunching the numbers on price of pellets vs heat pump heat, I realized I wasn't going to save anything.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2019, 08:08:16 PM »
If I had natural gas service in this house I wouldn't have a  Pellet stove.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2019, 08:56:21 PM »
When I really started crunching the numbers on price of pellets vs heat pump heat, I realized I wasn't going to save anything.

It sounds like the added cost of pellets is a worthwhile expense if you're more comfortable in the long run.  It's good that the changeover is working out for you.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2019, 11:32:05 PM »
I don't know and I don't care.

Focus on the last sentence.

For the first time in 25 years, I'm truly warm and comfortable,  something I never felt with the heat pump..

That is what it comes down to. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

brimic

• friends
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2019, 07:36:44 AM »
Gotta love the cheap natural gas in the Midwest

Propane too.
I did the math to figure out if I would be better off switching to NG from propane (taking into account BTUs and different units of measure) and found it would take a really long time to see any cost benefit to switching to NG. If I ever need a new furnace, I might make the switch then. Currently my garage and home is heated with propane.

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2019, 07:45:29 AM »
It sounds like the added cost of pellets is a worthwhile expense if you're more comfortable in the long run.  It's good that the changeover is working out for you.

That's exactly it.

The price difference between running the heat pump and feeding pellets to the stove isn't that great. If you factor in the price of the stove, the installation, what I paid for the materials to build the pad, etc., it would have made a lot more sense to stick with the heat pump if it were only a question of dollars. But I've said here many times over the years that while my heat pump heats my house, it doesn't deliver a warm, comforting heat. I was never truly comfortable in the house during the winter, and I often found myself running an electric heater or shivering under a blanket.

Completely different scenario with the pellet stove.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2019, 08:21:22 AM »
Now that I've been running both a heat pump and propane furnace for a while, I'm not even sure I would save that much on using the heat pump only. Like Mike, the heat pump heat often gives me a "not warm" feeling, and I end up bumping it up a couple of degrees, so it ends up running more. My thermostat has a daytime setting of 69. I can "feel warmer" at 67 when the propane kicks in than I often do with the heat pump at 69, and often find myself temporarily bumping the heat pump up to 71 or so, while I often bump the propane heat down.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2019, 09:17:40 AM »
Jesus Wept it's cold out there today!

It's cold enough that I expect my heat pump will kick in. I have it set at 60 to maintain a base level of heat in the house. When I get home I'll kick the stove on and leave it run until bed time.

When I head out Saturday for the holiday I'll let the heat pump take over.

If we get a nasty cold streak in January or February I'll redo the programming on the stove so that it kicks on during the day when I'm at work for an hour or two to keep the heat up in the house so the heat pump doesn't kick on.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2020, 08:44:42 AM »
Got the final read on December's electrical usage...

522 KwHr. Not bad at all!

Of course, I was gone for a week of that over Christmas, during which time I shut off the water heater, so that was a pretty significant reduction. Also no lights, dishwasher, dryer, stove, or computer.

I'm sure that the heat pump came on a bit while I was gone because the temperature when I got home was 60 deg., which is where I have the thermostat set. Don't care much about that, though.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2020, 09:29:39 AM »
Propane too.
I did the math to figure out if I would be better off switching to NG from propane (taking into account BTUs and different units of measure) and found it would take a really long time to see any cost benefit to switching to NG. If I ever need a new furnace, I might make the switch then. Currently my garage and home is heated with propane.

Did you figure in the costs of getting the NG tap installed, lines run and changing out all the orifices in your appliances and heaters?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2020, 08:41:21 AM »
Now that we're nearing the end of the heating season I thought I'd take a look at this again.

It's been a warm winter, one of the warmest I can remember, so I'm not using the stove particularly hard, and certainly not using a lot of pellets.

I bought 40 bags, thinking that the weather would get colder, but it never did, and as of right now I've only used 25 bags.

Those 25 bags cost me $130.

The reduction in electric usage so far has added up to about $110.

So, I'm paying a bit more to heat with the pellets, but the increase in comfort levels in my house simply can't be measured in dollars and cents.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2020, 08:48:49 AM »
Did you figure in the costs of getting the NG tap installed, lines run and changing out all the orifices in your appliances and heaters?

Yes, including the fact that the local utility will run the first xx feet of NG  gas line for free. (I called them and confirmed that).
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama