Author Topic: Man Builds and Demonstrates Passport RFID Sniffer/Cloner for $250  (Read 6827 times)

zahc

• friend
Re: Man Builds and Demonstrates Passport RFID Sniffer/Cloner for $250
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2009, 10:42:20 AM »
I had read that wrapping one's passport in foil would work to prevent unauthorized intrusion.

Tried it on the entry key-cards at work, which have a naked range of about 6 inches. Wrapping the wallet in one layer of foil still allowed the card to trip the lock (from within the wallet) at contact range. It took two layers, of the heavy-duty foil they use for the vacuum systems too, not normal cooking foil.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2009, 10:51:35 AM »
You can get wallets that block RFIDs.  ThinkGeek.com sells em:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/security/8cdd/

They also sell RFID-blocking passport holders, though they're out of stock at the moment:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/security/910f

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2009, 01:11:46 PM »
Lo, Med, Hi, thaw, defrost... which?

And for how long?

You do it on high power for 2 seconds less than it took the first passport to burst into flames.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2009, 01:35:23 PM »
I don't know what was wrong with the bar code that is/was on passports. That seemed to be pretty efficient.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2009, 08:04:21 PM »
The single biggest problem with RFID technology is it is exceedingly susceptible to static electricity.  Plans are to put these things in just about anything.  Problem is static electricity inherent in production processes kill 'em before they get planted.  The sure fire way of destroying the buggers is to zap 'em with ESD or electro-static discharge.  Draw a static arc and they will die.  I can see a business plan coming together to produce and distribute a consumer device designed to zap chips.  I can also see fed.gov writing laws to hinder attempts to establish privacy.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon