Author Topic: Disinformation and Propaganda: The MSM and Global Warming As An Example  (Read 750 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
The topic of the author's post is disinformation, not global warming.  GW just happens to be the particular topic about which the disinformation is being produced.

He examines three articles about a particular topic (arctic sea ice) and examines them from a disinformation/agitprop perspective.

Most times, this sort of thing just washes off me & my consciousness as water off a duck.  I've seen so many examples of agitprop that it is hardly worthy of notice.  Thing is, most folks haven't read as voraciously as I have in the past and have not developed the propaganda detector necessary to safely navigate the MSM without collecting disinformation stowaways.

IOW, we really ought to make more noise about this sort of foul marketing of dishonesty and agitprop.

I can not do this guy justice with excerpts and will only excerpt the introduction. To understand the whys & wherefores, clicking through tot he original article is required.

http://fabiusmaximus.wordpress.com/2009/02/18/disinformation/

The media doing what it does best these days, feeding us disinformation

At some point during the 1970’s the mainstream media decided to abandon journalism to become the Ministry of Truth.  Advocacy journalism, instructing the peons and elevating their consciousness.  The slo-mo but accelerating business disaster that resulted — loss of audience, fading profits, layoffs — should not detract from their considerable success at mastering the basics of propaganda.

The original FM articles about climate change discussed the selling of global warming.  These were greeted with cries of the “science is settled.”  After 44 points describing the debate among scientists (see my posts here, literature citations here) we return to the original theme — with an example of skilled agitprop.  Professionals at work, keeping America misinformed.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Disinformation and Propaganda: The MSM and Global Warming As An Example
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 01:43:34 AM »
As Mark Twain said:

If you don't read the newspapers, you are uninformed.
If you do read the newspapers, you are misinformed.

And my father said:

"The only part of the paper that is the truth is the sports section, they have to get the scores right."

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Re: Disinformation and Propaganda: The MSM and Global Warming As An Example
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 02:47:23 AM »
That's a great read.
Thanks!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."