Author Topic: Diveeersity Training  (Read 3491 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Diveeersity Training
« on: March 30, 2007, 06:37:10 AM »
I completed my mandatory [michaelsavagevoice]diveeeersity training[/michaelsavagevoice] on the last day and nearly the last hour.

Lefty, HR-PC indcotrination/re-education is annoying enough.  When delivered in a chirpy voice and heaping helpings of hypocrisy it grinds my *expletive deleted*ss to the bone.

The primary take-away from the whole deal was, "Our main Diversity Goal for SurrenderToHR-WeeniesCorp is to be inclusive and treat employees as individuals.  Now, let us examine the characteristics exhibited by the four generations currently in the workforce..." (proceeds to dump employees into generational bins labelled with sterotypical descriptions).

One thing I despise about the whole progressive/PC/multi-culti project is the tin ear it has to its own cognitive dissonance.  Stereotyping is bad...unless done by multi-cultists.  Open thought is valued...unless that thought conflicts with progressive orthodoxy.  Individuality ought to be nurtured...when it isn't being squashed for not toeing the line.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Ezekiel

• friend
  • Intellectual Masturbationist
Re: Diveeersity Training
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 07:33:58 AM »
Concur in every respect.

Is this a sign of the Apocalypse?
Zeke

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 07:40:22 AM »
I have never heard of any company in my state having "diversity training". None. None that my friends work for, be they high-tech, medical, software, any of those.

Are there employees of all sorts of races and nationalities? Certainly. Do people need to be told how to behave? Doesn't seem so, since everyone gets along and works just fine.

Must be part of that whole "live free or die" thing.

mountainclmbr

• friend
  • Sunset, Casa Mountainclmbr
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 07:50:19 AM »
A large aerospace company in California that I do work for on occasion is now fully into the PC diversity thing. They won't have a Christmas get together, they have a Winterfest get together (disrespecting the majority is PC). They also had a week-long Gay, Lesbian, Transgender awareness week with 4-foot rainbow posters at the building entrances. I personally don't care if someone is oriented that way, but I worry about the day this company makes it mandatory  shocked .
Just say no to Obama, Osama and Chelsea's mama.

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 07:57:51 AM »
I doubt it is something companies do for fun. They are trying to be compliant with so many assinine pieces of idiotic legislative garbage that they have departments for it (a.k.a. Office of Compliance or some such). "Sensitivity Training" is another all-time favorite.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 08:23:21 AM »
I have no problem with being inclusive and treating people as indivivuals.  But somehow characterizing someone as having a certain set of characteristics simply because they are Black/Hispanic/Asian/gay/whatever seems to work against the basic premise of individuality.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 08:35:15 AM »
I have no problem with being inclusive and treating people as indivivuals.  But somehow characterizing someone as having a certain set of characteristics simply because they are Black/Hispanic/Asian/gay/whatever seems to work against the basic premise of individuality.
People like you would think that way.   grin

"Diversity" is a code word, like "multiculturalism"; it doesn't actually mean what the dictionary would have you believe.  Having a workforce that is diverse in the sense of "Everyone, of every color and shape and manner of plumbing, should have access to this job based solely upon his or her ability to do the job well" is a valuable goal.  Having a workforce that is "Diverse" in the sense of "Diversity Training", means, "Everyone, regardless of ability, should have access to this job so that the workforce is made up of exactly the demographic proportions present in the community unless those demographic proportions need a tan, in which case you should hire more brownish people because probably the reason the community is too lily-white is because of discriminatory housing practices, don't worry, we'll get to that in a minute".

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 08:36:01 AM »
My employer had several days worth of this diversity crap training a few years back.

The first session was just general diversity - the guy who came in introduced the concept of "mattering" and when challenged as to whether or not that was a real word, waffled . . . which got us into the concept of "anti-mattering" and, well, he pretty much lost control of the session.

The second session was gender diversity . . . where the main topics were women drivers and the horrible movie phenomenon known as "chick flicks."

The third was racial diversity, which was extremely offensive . . . it included a movie that should have been most appropriately titled "Blame Whitey." (Blame Whitey for what? Well, for all ills in the world, since they're all Whitey's fault.)

They apparently offended upper management, too, as we don't hear about this crap training any more.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007, 08:51:10 AM »

Didn't have one of those.  We had a "Harassment Awareness" training.  Very mild compared to the EO briefings I had in the military. 

In response to the HA training, one of the more vocal (and entertaining) ladies in Engineering put up a sign in her cube.  "Harassment will not be reported.  However, it will be graded."  She ain't kidding either.  Gods help you if you fail her grading system.  I learned to chuck a bar of Swiss chocolate over her cube wall before asking a question.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2007, 09:14:16 AM »
People like you would think that way.   grin

"Diversity" is a code word, like "multiculturalism"; it doesn't actually mean what the dictionary would have you believe.  Having a workforce that is diverse in the sense of "Everyone, of every color and shape and manner of plumbing, should have access to this job based solely upon his or her ability to do the job well" is a valuable goal.  Having a workforce that is "Diverse" in the sense of "Diversity Training", means, "Everyone, regardless of ability, should have access to this job so that the workforce is made up of exactly the demographic proportions present in the community unless those demographic proportions need a tan, in which case you should hire more brownish people because probably the reason the community is too lily-white is because of discriminatory housing practices, don't worry, we'll get to that in a minute".

-BP

I think you pretty much nailed it right on.  "Equality" to mean equality of opportunity is great and desirable.  Equality to mean equality of result is not.

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2007, 10:03:19 AM »
"Equality" to mean equality of opportunity is great and desirable.  Equality to mean equality of result is not.

That would never be acceptable to the multiculturalists because a deviation of the microdistribution from the macro-demographics they interpret in only two ways:

1) inequality in opportunity
2) inequality in abilities

Since for them #2 is an ideological impossibility, it must always be #1.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2007, 10:20:58 AM »
"Equality" to mean equality of opportunity is great and desirable.  Equality to mean equality of result is not.

That would never be acceptable to the multiculturalists because a deviation of the microdistribution from the macro-demographics they interpret in only two ways:

1) inequality in opportunity
2) inequality in abilities

Since for them #2 is an ideological impossibility, it must always be #1.

I remember grinning at the objectivist bits snuck into the movie "The Incredibles"...first the rant about "finding new ways to celebrate mediocrity", and then the response to "everyone is special"...."That's another way of saying nobody is."

Chris

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2007, 11:24:40 AM »
I was just wondering...after going through mandatory training on "non-offensive courtroom management"...and learning how to address criminals and send them to prison without offending them or their families...when did the Constitution get amended to inclue the right not to be offended?  just wondering if I missed something...

grampster

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2007, 12:49:26 PM »
The Declaration of Independence spoke about  Life (how does that square with abortion on demand), Liberty (look at the myriad of laws squashing it) and the Pursuit of Happiness. (Please note the word "pursuit", which does not mean guarantee).

Nowhere does the Constitution or B of R talk about "diversity".  As a matter of fact diverse means divided.  What ever happened to e pluribus unum; out of the many, one!

The statists are seriously wrong in promoting diversity.  That tears us apart and solidifies our differences.  What they should be told at every turn is that they should be promoting our commonality, the singular uniqueness of our stew.  When you throw many ingredients into a pot, it becomes the sum of its parts; something new.  Together we stand, divided we fall.  Just look how weak we are in the matters of geo politics.  It is because we are divided not united.
Edited by grampster because of fingers being faster than brain late at night.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2007, 01:02:17 PM »
Where does the COnstitution mention life liberty and the pursuit of happiness?

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2007, 01:16:56 PM »
The statists are seriously wrong in promoting diversity.  That tears us apart and solidifies our differences. 

And thereby provides job security for said statists. If we are all united and color-blind, we would not need the Jesse Jacksons and Al Sharptons of the world, and also likely the Ted Kennedy's and Hillaries either. Create an endemic, chronic problem and be its installed manager. Besides, what will happen to all those sensitivity-councellors, minority-studies profs, consultants, bean-counters, scribbling hacks, and paper-pushers? Institutionalized hate can be good business. Divide and conquer.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2007, 01:17:55 PM »
Why can't companies just give people a slip of paper that reads, "do unto others as you would have them do unto you," and leave it at that?

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2007, 01:21:13 PM »
Why can't companies just give people a slip of paper that reads, "do unto others as you would have them do unto you," and leave it at that?

Because it doesn't pay as well as giving seminars.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2007, 01:33:57 PM »
I'm all for it.  If you know of any South Pacific Islanders that would like to work a hectic, mediocre paying job in the crappy weather of central Ohio, I'm willing to trade places with them.  My company would be thrilled to meet one of their goals...and I would be thrilled for them....taking one for the team...doing more with less (woo-hoo). Actually, it would be two goals for them....I've seen the graphs...the goal is to replace white males with more pacific islanders....seriously, you just can't make that stuff up.

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2007, 01:39:39 PM »
I doubt it is something companies do for fun.
Ordinarily I would look to some fed.guv policy as a cause, but I don't think that applies. This is something companies do on their own, and ironically, the fed.guv COPIES industry *because they do everything so well* ACK!

I despise HR people. At least in the military, in a good unit, the admin folks knew it was their mission to help the unit accomplish it's mission; to do that, the troops had to be cared for. As in, make sure they get paid, their records are up to date, they get required medical support, etc.

This is one thing we can't blame the feds for.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

One of Many

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2007, 02:23:10 PM »
I recently attended a mandatory meeting for part time faculty at a private college where I am an instructor.  This meeting was for "sensitivity" training on diversity issues.  One part of this training was a session on LBGT individuals, and how we (non LBGT) can make them feel more comfortable and accepted in the school environment.  The activities were based on forcing us (non LBGT) to see how these poor individuals are discriminated against, and how they deserve to be treated so much better, even given special treatment.

There was no consideration given to the discomfort that discussion of this subject matter causes, to persons that believe this is not a fit subject for public conversation in mixed gender situations.

The next session was a study of stereotypes based on racial and ethnic factors.  A clip of a film named "Crash" was shown, and discussion was then started.  This film is loaded with the "F Word", and was offensive to many of the audience because of the obscenities and crudeness contained in it.  When I stated my objection to being forced to view this film in a public setting, I was told by the Dean that he "respected my opinion, but did not agree with it". This was a blatant lie, because he warned people before showing the film that it contained offensive language; he did not offer to let those who would be offended to skip the viewing.

He wants the religious and morally principled individuals to accept and condone language and behaviour that is offensive at fundamental levels, in the name of diversity.

The language that we were forced to listen to would be considered sexual harassment in a normal business working environment, and the forced attendance at a sexually oriented meeting would certainly be considered a hostile working environment, if not sexual harassment.

The only group that it is OK to discriminate against now, is the fundamentally religious and faith based morality group.

The Dean commented that none of the students had expressed an objection to the language in that film clip.  He seemed to be oblivious to the discomfort of the older adults in the audience, and dismissive of criticism toward his selection of obscenity as a means of getting his point across.  I was the only person to express an objection to the language, but several attendees thanked me after the meeting was dismissed.  If mature adults are afraid to disagree with an authority figure, it is no wonder that no student would object to him.

In my opinion, this LBGT diversity training is a farce, intended to protect the company or institution from lawsuits brought by people seeking special status, to make themselves feel normal and accepted.  They know that their sexual orientaion is not normal, and not accepted by the majority, but they want to force others to grant them that status regardless of the rights of the majority.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2007, 04:18:31 PM »
Thank you, gentlemen, for reminding me how wonderful self employment is. 

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2007, 05:58:16 PM »
Thank you, gentlemen, for reminding me how wonderful self employment is. 

Eh, I can ruin said wonderful feeling. http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=6504.msg102477#msg102477

Wink

No, I agree, self-employment isn't all that bad. Yeah, I hate the self-employment tax too, but you don't have to put up with all the baloney of the workplace.
Andy

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2007, 07:26:14 PM »
Concur in every respect.

Is this a sign of the Apocalypse?
If it is, it is not the one described by John the apostle.  Perhaps some lost, apocryphal work of Ayn Rand describes such a circumstance.  I suggest the only way to be sure is to meet and quaff several fine brews over the course of an hour or two. 

--------------

We have a goodly number of "diverse" employees at my site.  Frankly, I don't think much about their "diverse" nature.  I'm just glad that one such diverse employee takes on the configuration management burden for me, leaving me to engineer.  Getting the CM nazis off my tail is something I value, yessiree, Bob!

And the diverse IT employee who steps in when my linux savvy is not savvy enough for the task...him I value.

What I value in the workplace has little to do with pigment, sex, who/what they sleep with, etc.

I am obviously in need of re-education.   rolleyes
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2007, 09:06:36 PM »
Constitution guarantees Life (how does that square with abortion on demand), Liberty (look at the myriad of laws squashing it) and the Pursuit of Happiness. (Please note the word "pursuit", which does not mean guarantee).

Nowhere does the Constitution talk about "diversity". 

Nowhere does the Constitution talk about life, liberty, and/or the pursuit of happiness.

That's the Declaration of Independence, which is NOT a foundation-of-government document in the United States.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.