Author Topic: Washington Post crowdsources gun violence stories?  (Read 1453 times)

mangle

Washington Post crowdsources gun violence stories?
« on: December 12, 2013, 02:09:10 PM »
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journalism/2013/12/11/WAPO-Submit-Your-Gun-Violence-Story-For-Sandy-Hook-Anniversary

tldr; Washington Post is looking for personal stories of those affected by gun violence at the one-year mark of Sandy Hook.

I wonder how many would have to be fake stories to prevent them from publishing any?

brimic

• friends
Re: Washington Post crowdsources gun violence stories?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 02:11:24 PM »
Do hunting photos/stories count?  >:D
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 02:25:18 PM »
What makes you think they wouldn't post the fake stories?  Those are often the best kind.
"It's good, though..."

mangle

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 02:37:10 PM »
What makes you think they wouldn't post the fake stories?  Those are often the best kind.

Oh, I think it would be great if they posted some completely over the top false story, ran with it, and let the anti-gun nuts run with it until it is demonstrated to be false.  My honest question is how many over-the-top stories like that would have to be submitted before they decide to publish none for fear of that exact scenario.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 03:51:48 PM »
Oh, I think it would be great if they posted some completely over the top false story, ran with it, and let the anti-gun nuts run with it until it is demonstrated to be false.  My honest question is how many over-the-top stories like that would have to be submitted before they decide to publish none for fear of that exact scenario.

I fear you don't quite grok how the whole "false story" thing works in real life. They'd publish them all, maybe or maybe not publish a retraction, but the damage would have long been done. http://thefederalist.com/2013/11/22/new-satire-deception/

The initial impact of the “real” is a bell that cannot be un-rung. The emotional power of proof that we were right all along shapes our opinions and views even after the facts are exposed.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

mangle

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 04:04:56 PM »
I fear you don't quite grok how the whole "false story" thing works in real life. They'd publish them all, maybe or maybe not publish a retraction, but the damage would have long been done. http://thefederalist.com/2013/11/22/new-satire-deception/

Sadly, you're right.  I do find it disturbing that I often find myself watching segments of John Stewart or SNL and having to actually think for a minute to figure out whether it's real or satire.  I thin kit speaks badly for our current state of affairs that satire is often indistinguishable from reality.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 04:14:08 PM »
I think it's always been that way. We need narrative to understand the world, and stories have Black Hats and White Hats. So obviously no atrocity is too absurd for the BH's to have committed, those people are scarcely even human! It's almost impossible to viscerally hate someone because they're on the Blue Team instead of the Red, and yet acknowledge that they have good and bad sides.

I loathe feminism (as the phrase is generally used) and think her work on sexuality has helped a movement that's done incredible damage to our society, but I truly admire Camille Paglia's intellectual honesty and critique of academia and the war on masculinity.

Russ Feingold is a vile and loathesome creature who worked ceaselessly to undermine many important aspects of liberty and our Constitution, but he was also the only Senator with the balls to vote no on the Patriot Act in 2001 because it infringed on civil liberties.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 04:27:51 PM »
I think it's always been that way. We need narrative to understand the world, and stories have Black Hats and White Hats. So obviously no atrocity is too absurd for the BH's to have committed, those people are scarcely even human! It's almost impossible to viscerally hate someone because they're on the Blue Team instead of the Red, and yet acknowledge that they have good and bad sides.

I loathe feminism (as the phrase is generally used) and think her work on sexuality has helped a movement that's done incredible damage to our society, but I truly admire Camille Paglia's intellectual honesty and critique of academia and the war on masculinity.

Russ Feingold is a vile and loathesome creature who worked ceaselessly to undermine many important aspects of liberty and our Constitution, but he was also the only Senator with the balls to vote no on the Patriot Act in 2001 because it infringed on civil liberties.

I don't disagree with any of that, though it wouldn't surprise me if it starts a shyte storm. It's like when Mohammed Atta and friends crashed the planes. Everyone were calling them cowards, but Bill Maher (whom I loathe) said they weren't, and had his own storm.

Truth is often hard for people to take objectively, so those with the pulpit massage it to sell to the uneducated masses.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 11:19:36 PM »
Maybe flood them with stories of guns saving lives, like the ones that some gun mags have.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 12:40:55 AM »

Limbaugh coined the phrase "drive-by media." They'll spend two whole news cycles telling us that Sarah Palin thinks Africa is a nation, then drive on to the next Big Thing. By the time it's revealed that the story had no basis in fact, they're long gone, and can't be bothered to say much about it.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 03:44:14 AM »
False story impact, see any episode of the George Zimmerman files.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.