Author Topic: Well, trashed another Kindle...  (Read 404 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Well, trashed another Kindle...
« on: August 23, 2022, 10:06:15 PM »
They are seeming to last about a year before I crunch 'em...
Blog under construction

grampster

• friend
Re: Well, trashed another Kindle...
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2022, 10:29:50 PM »
Both of ours do weird things all the time.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2022, 10:46:57 PM »
I think mine is 6-7 years old now. Still works great.

Just checked history, ordered March 2011.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2022, 06:59:11 AM »
I had my first one for probably 8 or 9 years before the battery started crapping out.

Mtnbkr and his wife and kids got it for me for Christmas. One of the best gifts I've ever gotten.

I replaced it with a 1 or 2 generation previous Paperwhite with the backlit screen a couple of years ago. LOVE that feature.

I'm not crazy about how the library is organized, not sure if I can change that or not. I need to look into it.

Keep an eye on Woot and Amazon for refurb units. I paid a fraction of what a new one would have cost by buying an older refurb unit on Woot.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2022, 07:57:33 AM »
I am pretty rough on 'em... This one lasted close to a year. At $70/year, I'm good on that... I tend to stuff 'em in my back packet, and they get sat on hard or something... Prob gonna put a sheet of 1/8" aluminum glued to the case on the next one.
Blog under construction

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2022, 07:59:37 AM »
I am pretty rough on 'em... This one lasted close to a year. At $70/year, I'm good on that... I tend to stuff 'em in my back packet, and they get sat on hard or something... Prob gonna put a sheet of 1/8" aluminum glued to the case on the next one.

If you're set on destroying them, both Woot and Amazon regularly have refurb units on sale for $35.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2022, 11:14:06 AM »
I always kind of wonder about it when I see a phone in someone's back pocket.  I figure they must have a better memory than me.

I'm leery of putting anything in my back pocket. Was doing something on my car, slipped a screwdriver into the back pocket of my coveralls, forgot about it, went to sit down in the driver's seat and ripped up the back of the seat with the screwdriver.

Also found that carrying my wallet back there for an hour's worth of driving to and from work plus ~eight hours on and off at my desk resulted in excruciating pain in my "wallet cheek."  Took a while to realize the cause.  I still carry it back there, but will not sit with it there.  It's on a chain, so it goes on my lap while driving or working or sometimes in the front of my unbuttoned shirt.

I'll never forget that pain back there, though.

I strongly recommend chains on wallets.  Gives you (me) a bit of a motorcyclist / hippy look, but I ain't climbing any corporate ladders or running for public office, so up thine if you don't like it.

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2022, 11:49:01 AM »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Pb

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2022, 03:51:14 PM »
I have bought quite a few used Kindles from Shop Goodwill (website).  There are no returns, but I have not been burned yet.  Keep in mind that Amazon has abandoned some of the old Kindles (Kindle 5 and earlier) and will not let you register them.  If they are already registered to you, they work fine.

Kindle batteries are also replaceable.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2022, 09:36:20 PM »
The new one fits in the semi-rigid case from the old one - first time that has happened... They haven't changed recently.

Going to epoxy a 1/8" piece of 6061 to the back of it... The kickstand should still work, and things will be more rigid. I tend to trash the screens.
Blog under construction