Author Topic: Oil changes  (Read 1305 times)

zahc

• friend
Oil changes
« on: February 27, 2019, 12:15:52 AM »
I have never in my life paid somebody else to change my oil. But in a sudden burst of laziness, I have decided I don't like changing my oil anymore. This mood will probably last until I realize that taking the car somewhere and waiting to have it done is more work than just doing it myself. But just for the sake of seeing things through, I am now posting on the internet asking how not to do this.

For those who do not change their own oil: do you use a Jiffy Lube? Dealership? Local mechanic? Walmart? What should I do? I want to not change my oil properly.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: Oil changes
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 12:26:15 AM »
I have a local guy I’ve known since HS that owns a shop.

Oil change, check of suspension components, exhaust, light bulbs every 3-5k miles.

Cost is a touch more than the chain shops but that’s ok, I’m getting more.

The fleet vehicle I used to drive had all its oil changes and check ups ata jiffy lube type shop. Only had one bad experience in over ten years. Works in a pinch.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 05:46:30 AM »
I get free oil changes and routine maintenance for free at the dealership where I bought my Jeep.
Everything else I do myself.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 07:56:23 AM »
Both my cars that are still under warranty go to the respective dealers for scheduled maintenance.  A little more expensive, but OEM parts and good records are kept.

I've had some pretty bad experiences with the jiffy lube type places; wrong oil, stripped drain plugs, not enough oil put in, stuff like that.  Those techs are pretty low on the training/experience spectrum.  I'd suck it up and do it myself before I let those guys do it.

FWIW, my 14 year old F150 I still do myself. It's not worth the expense and hassle to have it done for me.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 08:49:04 AM »
Toyota does the free service for a two years also.  For my previous Ford, I used to go to the dealership because it took about as long and was the same price.  

For the oil change places, just understand that they will try to upsell you on air filter changes and other stuff that is overpriced or not advisable.  I wouldn't want them doing any complicated maintenance.  

I guess for me I never saw it as that much time and the cost is small for not having to get dirty, buy oil, or dispose of the old oil.  I did it as a teenager and in college.  Not something I enjoy doing I guess. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 09:05:51 AM »
I do everything myself, but second choice would be to find a local independent shop. Avoid the places that only change oil. I've known a few people that worked at them in the past and the stories are scary.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 09:24:38 AM »
Dealer while under warranty. I'll do the rest of them myself. I NEVER trust my vehicles to the minimum wage wrench monkeys in the jiffy places.
I use the same privately owned/operated automotive service shop for other work. I know them and trust them. He has had the same mechanics for years and even second generation. I have had them do oil and service if I'm in a crunch or the rare occasion when can't do it myself.
Full synthetic. I change at 5k now since synthetic oil can be purchased cheaper than in the past. I used to go 10k and change the filter at 5k (add a half quart).
What we have here is failure to communicate.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 09:25:27 AM »
Oil changes are such a low level skill/problem that it isn't worth my time nor hassle to deal with it nor the waste oil.
I've been using jiffy lube places for years without a problem, and I generally drive cars to 250K miles.
My only caveat is to have them do the oil and filter only, and not to touch anything else.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2019, 09:49:56 AM »
On my F150 I still do the oil for two reasons: First, everything is pretty easy to get to, second, though the issue has probably been resolved by now, there was a big problem with even the dealership guys overfilling Ecoboost engines. The oil in these engines can take 15 minutes to get back in the pan after the engine is turned off. A lot of places started draining the oil two minutes after the vehicle was on the rack, then 30 seconds later when the oil got to down to a dribble (the 2.7L drain hole is huuuge), figured they were done draining. There were lots of documented cases of guys driving around with 10 quarts in a 6 quart engine. Doing it myself, I let it take the time to fully drain. It takes me that long to get the *%^&$%^$ little o-ring on the oil filter housing anyway.  :laugh:

On the 4Runner, it goes to the dealer. The oil on it is easy. The filter is too, but you have to take extra stuff off to get to it, and the time for me to crawl under and do it without a lift is past my cost/benefit point.  I take it to the dealer and let them do it while I surf APS in the lounge*.

I always took gov vehicles to the Jiffy Lube. I spent enough time dealing with them with the gov vehicles that I won't take my own car to that kind of place. The dealer isn't all that much more expensive, and as Dogmush said, they'll use adequate to good parts and fluids and keep records. That's maybe not a big deal on an old car, but I buy new and like to take care of the vehicle and keep good records.

A lot of the Jiffy Lube places are "locally owned" so I suspect if you were to find one run by a Franchisee who took quality as seriously as profit, you would be okay. It's just the finding - which I guess could be applied to dealership service too.

*Apropos of nothing, every Toyota lounge I've been in has been spotless - almost like an upscale cafe. Every Ford lounge I've been in has been "meh" to run down.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2019, 09:51:59 AM »
Waste oil has never been an issue for me. I keep a 30 gal steel barrel in the barn for waste oil, hydraulic oil, etc. a guy that heats his shop with a waste oil furnace will pick it up when full and leave me an empty.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2019, 10:04:07 AM »

*Apropos of nothing, every Toyota lounge I've been in has been spotless - almost like an upscale cafe. Every Ford lounge I've been in has been "meh" to run down.
I haven't noticed that around here.  The toyota dealership is next door to the Ford dealership and they are both owned by the same people.  However, the lounge is nice at the Toyota dealership. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2019, 10:06:28 AM »
I haven't noticed that around here.  The toyota dealership is next door to the Ford dealership and they are both owned by the same people.  However, the lounge is nice at the Toyota dealership. 

This is what cracks me up about the Ford and Toyota places I use now. Both are owned by the same family and a couple of blocks from each other, but the Toyota lounge is still way, way nicer.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2019, 10:16:05 AM »
Dealerships are slaves to the lines they sell. The manufacturers put all kinds of requirements on them for showroom, square footage, signage etc. my guess is that Toyota probably forces them to keep a certain standard on lounge where ford probably twists their arms in different ways.
The waiting area at our local ford dealer looks like a 1950s run down bus stop but the showroom is nice.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 10:52:23 AM by Kingcreek »

brimic

• friends
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2019, 10:22:39 AM »
Dealerships are slaves to the lines they sell. The manufacturers put all kinds of requirements on them for showroom, square footage, signage etc. my guess is that Toyota probably forces them to keep a certain standard on showroom where ford probably twists their arms in different ways.
The waiting area at our local ford dealer looks like a 1950s run down bus stop but the showroom is nice.

Every Toyota/Subaru/Honda dealership I've been to seems to make a point of having a nice lounge area stocked with soda/coffee/cookies/snacks for customers.
Its almost as if they want customers to be comfortable and to have a nice experience while contemplating spends 10s of thousands of dollars on a product.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2019, 10:24:03 AM »

Excellent description.  :laugh:

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2019, 10:53:48 AM »
I take the 2016 Toyota Tacoma to the dealer for all scheduled maintenance, including the oil changes.  If I recall correctly, the oil changes also include tire rotation and some other items.  I especially do this now that a new Toyota dealership has opened up 10 minutes from the house, as opposed to my former dealership, which was 45 minutes from the house.  And the waiting area is great: coffee, water, fruit, granola bars, TV with the news or sports on it, and free wifi.  It is nicer than my house.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2019, 11:20:17 AM »
I have only had to go to my Toyota dealership once and all I noticed was popcorn.  I will have to see what else they have.  Only at 5500 miles or so now. 

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2019, 01:32:52 PM »
I use a Goodyear franchise for my workmobile. I do my own oil change for my truck and take the waste oil to a the Goodyear franchise where they heat their shop with it. I use sythenics and wix filter for my truck, my cost is $35, shop would be close to $60 for same oil/filter. Wife has her car done at the shop because I can never nail down a time with her to do it.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2019, 01:33:12 PM »

It cracks me up every time but the service lounge at the dealer I take my BMW to is great. Nice leather couches, fresh backed goods, bottled water and a Kureig with probably 30 types of tea, cocoa, and coffee to choose from.  They always offer a private spot with a door and desk "in case I want to get work done".

I bought my car used for less than a new Toyota or Ford, but BMW is going to give me the bourgeois experience regardless.