Author Topic: Radical Anti-Gun Florida Man Gets 15 Months: Threatening Pro-Gun Congresswoman  (Read 1142 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Radical Anti-Gun Florida Man Gets 15 Months for Threatening Pro-Gun Congresswoman
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/radical-anti-gun-florida-man-gets-15-months-for-threatening-pro-gun-congresswoman/

In 2021, Matthew Lee Comiskey sent five threatening tweets to Boebert that mentioned firearms and encouraged readers to do her harm. Comiskey originally faced five counts of making an interstate threat but pleaded guilty last year to one count.

I am a bit surprised that 1) he was actually prosecuted for this, and 2) that he got as much as 15 months.  Seems like a lot for someone running their mouth online. 

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/story/news/crime/2023/06/14/south-florida-man-sentenced-for-online-threats-to-u-s-rep-lauren-boebert/70302933007/

Rosenberg granted a defense motion for a downward variance from the minimum sentencing guideline, but rejected a request that Comiskey be given a prison sentence of one month followed by a period of house arrest.

Prior to the judge's ruling, Comiskey faced a minimum of 24 months. In exchange for the plea, prosecutors agreed to drop the remaining four counts of the same charge.
I guess he pled guilty and could have gotten a lot more.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
The defense:

"It's just very unfortunate that Mr. Comiskey has to do jail time. I understand the need for deterrent generally but, in this particular case, it was just a kind, good man who made a big mistake."

No, Counselor, your client is not a kind, good man who made A big mistake. That might describe someone who slipped out of character one time. Your client made multiple threats over an extended period of time. "Kind, good men" don't do that.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
The defense:

"It's just very unfortunate that Mr. Comiskey has to do jail time. I understand the need for deterrent generally but, in this particular case, it was just a kind, good man who made a big mistake."

No, Counselor, your client is not a kind, good man who made A big mistake. That might describe someone who slipped out of character one time. Your client made multiple threats over an extended period of time. "Kind, good men" don't do that.

Mostly kind, good man.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
^ Took me a second, but I finally got it.  Like "mostly peaceful protests."

Good one.

I'm confused about the sentence.  Was it 15 months for one offense, or a combination of offenses adding up to 15 months, or what?

If it were the former, he would now be ineligible to own a firearm, I guess, but if the latter, would four similar offenses of less than a year but adding up to more than a year affect his eligibility?

Terry, 230RN

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MechAg94

• friend
Not sure about that, but it sounded like they would drop or decline to prosecute additional counts that could add up to more time.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
But if multiple sentences for a number of identical crimes add up to more than a year but are less than a year for each individual one, would that trigger ineligibility?

See, I'm also thinking of how those per diem fines for N daily violations of a law add up to a huge fine under one crime.  So there's kind of a precedent there...same thing?

Terry
« Last Edit: June 22, 2023, 11:24:08 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MechAg94

• friend
What I meant is I think it was 15 or 18 months for the one offense and a few additional counts for the same offense would not be tacked on.  Might depend on the plea agreement.