Author Topic: Martin v Boise and Homeless Camping  (Read 1102 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Martin v Boise and Homeless Camping
« on: June 20, 2023, 05:42:00 PM »
https://www.vox.com/23748522/tent-encampments-martin-boise-homelessness-housing

Yes, it's Vox.  It's not horribly written despite that.

I wasn't aware there was a 9th Circuit ruling on this issue which made it so hard to fight.

How would you proceed given this ruling, as a city councilman or mayor of suburbia or small town USA, to fix a growing tent city in your community?

All of this kind of harkens back to the rail hobos and the Bonus Army.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Martin v Boise and Homeless Camping
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2023, 05:54:10 PM »
It's funny that this decision involving Boise is not affecting Boise because:

Five years ago, a federal court issued a crucial ruling. People experiencing homelessness, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals said, can’t be punished for sleeping outside on public property if there are no adequate alternatives available.

There are several homeless shelters in the metropolitan area. I donate significantly to one of them. Most of the shelters are full up. The one I donate to (The Boise Rescue Mission) almost always has beds. It is one of the nicer, if not the nicest, of the shelters. Why is there always space? No drugs allowed. No alcohol allowed. Separation of sexes for sleeping (and there are only two sexes). You have to follow their rules and also participate in their work programs. Hence they have empty beds.

There were homeless camping at the state capitol last year complaining about no shelter availability and when the reporters brought up the rescue mission, it was, "Yeah but they don't allow...". Hence the state was able to kick all the homeless off capitol grounds based on the ruling.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2023, 06:01:44 PM »
https://www.vox.com/23748522/tent-encampments-martin-boise-homelessness-housing

Yes, it's Vox.  It's not horribly written despite that.

I wasn't aware there was a 9th Circuit ruling on this issue which made it so hard to fight.

How would you proceed given this ruling, as a city councilman or mayor of suburbia or small town USA, to fix a growing tent city in your community?

All of this kind of harkens back to the rail hobos and the Bonus Army.
Identify the judges who voted for that ruling and buy public property adjacent to their homes. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2023, 08:25:25 PM »
It's funny that this decision involving Boise is not affecting Boise because:

There are several homeless shelters in the metropolitan area. I donate significantly to one of them. Most of the shelters are full up. The one I donate to (The Boise Rescue Mission) almost always has beds. It is one of the nicer, if not the nicest, of the shelters. Why is there always space? No drugs allowed. No alcohol allowed. Separation of sexes for sleeping (and there are only two sexes). You have to follow their rules and also participate in their work programs. Hence they have empty beds.

There were homeless camping at the state capitol last year complaining about no shelter availability and when the reporters brought up the rescue mission, it was, "Yeah but they don't allow...". Hence the state was able to kick all the homeless off capitol grounds based on the ruling.

I think a lot of cities have a "Rescue Mission" with those rules, they also pray before meals. The one in Spokane often had beds available because of the "restrictive" rules. I would give them any protein from when I went hunting and didn't have a ton of room for storage. I used to give them tons of dove breasts so they could whip them up in Cream of Mushroom soup and put over rice. A nice hearty cheap meal which is what they were all about.

bob