Author Topic: And yet another European article screaming about...  (Read 2521 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
And yet another European article screaming about...
« on: March 11, 2021, 09:26:58 AM »
Americans and our air conditioning...

WAAAAAH! They're killing the Earth!

Jesus wept... I wonder how many of them have actually spent a summer in the mid-Atlantic? A typical summer here is bad... A bad summer here is horrendous.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/the-air-conditioning-trap-how-cold-air-is-heating-the-world?utm_source=pocket-newtab
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

cordex

• Administrator
Re: And yet another European article screaming about...
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2021, 10:56:40 AM »
I imagine their response would be: "Well, then don't live in places that are uncomfortable."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2021, 12:38:59 PM »
I imagine their response would be: "Well, then don't live in places that are uncomfortable."
And yet despite the experience of the 20th Century, so many Europeans still live within marching distance of Germany . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2021, 12:54:29 PM »
"We hate air conditioning"

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/08/europe/france-heat-wave-deaths-intl-hnk-scli/index.html

Of course then they don't say, "Maybe AC isn't such a bad idea." They say, "OMG GLOBAL WARMING!"
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2021, 12:57:14 PM »
And yet despite the experience of the 20th Century, so many Europeans still live within marching distance of Germany . . .
They may protest about living under German control, but it's what they all secretly want.  That's the whole reason they formed the EU - they wanted to get the Deutsches BDSM Erlebnis but with fewer goosestepping Aryans.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2021, 01:07:37 PM »
^^^LOL.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2021, 01:20:47 PM »
When I lived in Texas I used to hate it when places set the AC to 70F when it was 110F outside. AC is good but I literally had to carry a sweater to the mall. It doesn't have to be a competition about who can be colder.

AC very good. Last time I went to kyoto it was during a heat/humidity wave and they have very minimal AC. The office buildings are deathtraps, stores are hot, hotel rooms are hot, the train cars are insane... It's a panicky strange feeling NOT having anywhere whatsoever to go to get away from it.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2021, 03:01:19 PM »
^
Kerplunck.

Very interesting.  Not sure too many conclusions could be drawn from the coincidence of latitudes, but still very interesting.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2021, 03:57:22 PM »
I don't mind it too much if it's warm, or even hot.

What I can't tolerate is when it's hot and humid. The humidity absolutely kills me.

And in the summer Seren camps out on the AC vent. I really run the AC for her.

Because she's a German breed.

And she keeps threatening to invade France if I don't turn the AC on.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2021, 04:05:18 PM »

She is a good girl.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2021, 05:13:07 PM »
Back when I was in full-time real estate, I had a couple moving here from Germany to take a university position. We were looking at homes in mid-Fall so temps were about what they would have experienced in the hotter parts of German summers. To a house they groused about wasteful air conditioning and asked several times about building a home without it to save money. The next summer we had a real scorcher, two-plus weeks with highs at over 110 deg. Turns out they took to appreciating "wasteful air conditioning" a bit more after that.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2021, 05:22:28 PM »
And then there is that annoying Gulfstream that brings mild temperatures to northern Europe.  I guess we could redirect that to Africa and let the euroweenies cook.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2021, 05:34:44 PM »
Maybe we should complain about their use of wasteful heat.  No one should live in those cold climates.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2021, 06:41:22 PM »
^
Kerplunck.

Very interesting.  Not sure too many conclusions could be drawn from the coincidence of latitudes, but still very interesting.
Crap . . . according to the map overlay, I may as well be in Libya.

:rofl:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2021, 07:23:53 PM »
Arrogant Euro-trash, *expletive deleted*ck 'em and feed 'em hot peppers.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2021, 06:57:13 AM »
Crap . . . according to the map overlay, I may as well be in Libya.

:rofl:

At least your feet are dry, I'm in the middle of the Med
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2021, 07:06:04 AM »
Back when I was in full-time real estate, I had a couple moving here from Germany to take a university position. We were looking at homes in mid-Fall so temps were about what they would have experienced in the hotter parts of German summers. To a house they groused about wasteful air conditioning and asked several times about building a home without it to save money. The next summer we had a real scorcher, two-plus weeks with highs at over 110 deg. Turns out they took to appreciating "wasteful air conditioning" a bit more after that.

Brad

Oh yeah, I've recounted before a woman I used to work with. Grew up in Northern Germany somewhere near the Baltic coast in the old East Germany.

She moved from there to DC. She said she had heard that our summers could be "bad" but that it was an abstract thing. The first year she moved it was an absolute scorcher (summer of 1991 or 1992 was horrendous) with our brutal humidity levels. Only she didn't really know how to deal with it, and thought it was mostly American hype.

She ended up with heat stroke and a far greater appreciation for the fact that in the days before air conditioning European nations considered a diplomatic posting to Washington a tropical posting, just like being sent to India, Africa, or parts of Asia.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2021, 07:11:00 AM »
Oh yeah, I've recounted before a woman I used to work with. Grew up in Northern Germany somewhere near the Baltic coast in the old East Germany.

She moved from there to DC. She said she had heard that our summers could be "bad" but that it was an abstract thing. The first year she moved it was an absolute scorcher (summer of 1991 or 1992 was horrendous) with our brutal humidity levels. Only she didn't really know how to deal with it, and thought it was mostly American hype.

She ended up with heat stroke and a far greater appreciation for the fact that in the days before air conditioning European nations considered a diplomatic posting to Washington a tropical posting, just like being sent to India, Africa, or parts of Asia.

He has a few other videos on the weather in the USA compared to England. Basically most Brits and Europeans would be shocked at the weather here.

British Heat Waves Ain't Got Nothing on America
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxKHrqL1zJ0
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2021, 08:53:32 AM »
Back when I was running the captive insurance risk retention group, I would have to go to London once a year and meet with the underwriters at Lloyds.  We usually went in the fall, and the London weather was almost identical to Seattle but with less rainfall.

ETA: this is our first house having a heat pump, and I must say we do enjoy it for the three weeks or so that it gets up into the upper 80s to 80s in Seattle.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2021, 08:56:02 AM »
He has a few other videos on the weather in the USA compared to England. Basically most Brits and Europeans would be shocked at the weather here.

British Heat Waves Ain't Got Nothing on America
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxKHrqL1zJ0
I've seen a lot of that guy's videos even though I have never subscribed. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2021, 09:11:30 AM »

ETA: this is our first house having a heat pump, and I must say we do enjoy it for the three weeks or so that it gets up into the upper 80s to 80s in Seattle.

I'm on my first heat pump too. I like it a LOT more for hot weather than for cold. We get into the 90s here for a couple of months and even break 100 occasionally, and it just does a great job, and from everything I can tell is much cheaper than AC, even taking CA vs ID electricity rates into account.

I still don't like it much for cold weather in the temperature range of ~27-37 or so.  Below 27 is when the propane furnace kicks in and gives toasty heat, and above 37 is where the heat from the heat pump stops feeling "cool" to me. Also when the heat pump is working in that range, looking at my daily electricity use, it just sucks down the juice in that temp range. I think because it cycles between heating and defrost cycle so much.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2021, 09:53:54 AM »
I don't mind it too much if it's warm, or even hot.

What I can't tolerate is when it's hot and humid. The humidity absolutely kills me.

And in the summer Seren camps out on the AC vent. I really run the AC for her.

Because she's a German breed.

Point her at Russia.  That'll keep her busy.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2021, 09:54:45 AM »
I, too, am on my first heat pump.

I grew up in Central Pennsylvania in a huge Victorian-era house without AC, except for a window shaker in the (BIG) kitchen and another in my Mom and Dad's bedroom, which did nothing for my bedroom. Ugh.

The real special one was my first couple summers in DC. Had a top floor south and east facing apartment in the city in a 1920s steel and concrete building. Had an AC in the bedroom, but it did virtually NOTHING to knock down the EZ Bake Oven aspects of that building.

I love my heat pump for summer AC, but as I've recounted many times here, I've always hated it for "heating" my home in winter. Hence, the pellet stove.

Even with central air I still have to run dehumidifiers in the house because the system is sized for the heat loading as it was when I bought it and it had, at best, R 15 worth of insulation in the attic. I'd lie in bed in the evenings in the summer and I'd feel as if I were in a broiler because of the heat radiating down from the ceiling.

Back in 2010 I jumped it from an R 15 to an R 50 and that made all the difference in the world, both summer and winter, but it also meant that since I didn't get the heat loading in the summer the AC was now way oversized and it didn't remove the humidity like it used to.

All in all, however, given how much electric I am NOT using in the winter to heat my house now that I have my pellet stove I figure I have the right to use electric to run the AC to cool my house and the Eurotrash can go EFF themselves with an iron stick. The ones who screech the loudest have no conception of what summer can be like in much of the United States.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2021, 09:55:26 AM »

Point her at Russia.  That'll keep her busy.

She's not interested. Even she's smart enough to know that you can't win a land war in Russia.