Author Topic: Voting Machines Vote Republican  (Read 9620 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Re: Voting Machines Vote Republican
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2008, 02:45:51 AM »
I think I've voted at least 3-4 different ways...

What was wrong with the old fashioned clunky things, where you flipped a bunch of levers, and flipped the big "I'm finished, so record everything" dealie to finish? Seemed to work okay...

Blog under construction

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2008, 06:00:19 AM »
I think I've voted at least 3-4 different ways...

Sort of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?  You're supposed to vote the same way each time   :laugh:

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2008, 12:03:39 PM »
What was wrong with the old fashioned clunky things, where you flipped a bunch of levers, and flipped the big "I'm finished, so record everything" dealie to finish? Seemed to work okay...

They're relatively expensive, prone to wearing out, and unfortuantly designing and/or maintaining them is a more or less lost art.  With wear you get the hanging chads that caused this whole mess in the first place.

Reminds me of the candy machines on a 'how stuff is made' episode - the candy makers are having to get parts for many of their tools made by machinists.  *GASP* - I remember thinking at the time 'wasn't that how they fixed stuff back when the thing was made?'.  Still, it's more expensive to get a gear made at a machine shop than to simply order a mass produced one.

If I was them I'd pay to have the things patterned.  Shouldn't be too much that can't be made by a CNC machine today.

Personally, I like the #2 pencil.  Heck, I proposed THAT back when I was in school - and taking standardized tests several times a year.  My solution was simple:  Do a print out of the ballots, then run them through the frequently used, reliable, and relatively trustworthy scanners the school system had.  Pull some random samples for verification.

If they need more machines - great, more for the school to use to avoid delays on our test scores.

Now, more than a decade later, they have scanners that fit over individual bins - which are perfectly fine.  Just, after that, run some of the boxe's contents through the school scanning systems for verification.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2008, 01:18:36 PM »
Personally, I like the #2 pencil.  Heck, I proposed THAT back when I was in school - and taking standardized tests several times a year.  My solution was simple:  Do a print out of the ballots, then run them through the frequently used, reliable, and relatively trustworthy scanners the school system had.  Pull some random samples for verification.

If they need more machines - great, more for the school to use to avoid delays on our test scores.

Now, more than a decade later, they have scanners that fit over individual bins - which are perfectly fine.  Just, after that, run some of the boxe's contents through the school scanning systems for verification.

what about these
  :O

please let's at least use (maybe indelible  =|) ink  :laugh:

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2008, 07:01:32 PM »

They're relatively expensive, prone to wearing out, and unfortuantly designing and/or maintaining them is a more or less lost art.  With wear you get the hanging chads that caused this whole mess in the first place.

Reminds me of the candy machines on a 'how stuff is made' episode - the candy makers are having to get parts for many of their tools made by machinists.  *GASP* - I remember thinking at the time 'wasn't that how they fixed stuff back when the thing was made?'.  Still, it's more expensive to get a gear made at a machine shop than to simply order a mass produced one.

If I was them I'd pay to have the things patterned.  Shouldn't be too much that can't be made by a CNC machine today.

Back on voting machines, personally, I like the #2 pencil.  Heck, I proposed THAT back when I was in school - and taking standardized tests several times a year.  My solution was simple:  Do a print out of the ballots, then run them through the frequently used, reliable, and relatively trustworthy scanners the school system had.  Pull some random samples for verification.

Sanglant - a pencil allows people to adjust their votes during deciding, saves paper/ballots.  You simply don't allow any erasers in the counting areas.

Owens

« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2008, 07:17:06 AM »
personally, I like the #2 pencil

Simple wins again!
In fact, that is what I used the other day when I voted early.

Reminds me of the story (don't know if it's true) about all the R&D that was done by our folks here in the good ol U.S. of A. when hunting for a writing implement to use on space missions. Lots of time and $$ involved.  Russia sent their cosmonauts up with a pencil.
Life Member NRA, TSRA

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2008, 04:27:00 PM »
Turns out, the Machine's don't like either one of the candidates!

http://www.theonion.com/content/video/voting_machines_elect_one_of
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Iapetus

• friend
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2008, 06:30:48 PM »

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2008, 09:10:56 PM »
Sanglant - a pencil allows people to adjust their votes during deciding, saves paper/ballots.  You simply don't allow any erasers in the counting areas.

True, and yet(head to bad to finish that thought).   =)