Author Topic: Fun Show Report  (Read 560 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Fun Show Report
« on: May 13, 2013, 02:45:53 PM »
Well went to the last show of the year (until fall) at the Kane County Fairgrounds.

Ammo was plentiful and prices were lower then in the near recent past.  Not back to "normal"  but lower then the last 5-6 months.  Saw several instances of .XXX ammo marked down from $ZZ. to $YY. to $MM.

Average was 5.56 for $.60-.70 per round and .308 for ~$.80.  7.62X39 was all over the board, anywhere from $.50 to $1.25 per round.  ;/

Lots more rifles available for sale, include many, many AR's.  Average price seemed to be between $1200 and $1400.   SKS's were around $450-$500.  91/30's a couple hundred.  Garands a least a G-note.  (Most in $1200-$1500 range), Carbines even more.   

There was powder and primers.  Lots of various bullets (Powder ran $21-$27 per pound, my buddy bought an 8# jug of Bullseye for $135.)

There of course was the usual jerky, WWII "souvenirs", knives and all the other kitschy stuff.  Tables have gone up to $38 in advance $48 day of show.   I'm still impressed by the number of folks that spend that kind of money to set up their "Museums" and not sell anything.  (If you're not willing to haggle even a little, I walk away.  Have fun carrying your crap home.)

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Fun Show Report
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 04:06:38 PM »
IMHO our new normal will be about a 25% increase.  .22lr will end up being a 100%increase.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 04:40:01 PM »
There was powder and primers.  Lots of various bullets (Powder ran $21-$27 per pound, my buddy bought an 8# jug of Bullseye for $135.)

When I can find powder in VA, it's about $20-$28 (been stocking up, buying a pound or two here and there), so your prices aren't bad.  An 8lbs jug of BE for $135 isn't too shabby either.  I'd pay that price for any powder I used in volume. 

Chris

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 04:52:33 PM »
IMHO our new normal will be about a 25% increase.  .22lr will end up being a 100%increase.

"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 05:17:04 PM »
Well went to the last show of the year (until fall) at the Kane County Fairgrounds.

Ammo was plentiful and prices were lower then in the near recent past.  Not back to "normal"  but lower then the last 5-6 months.  Saw several instances of .XXX ammo marked down from $ZZ. to $YY. to $MM.

Down to what they would have been, accounting for the inflation that is kicking in?

Pecatonica gun show will be in a few weeks.  I'll go.  Every once in a great while I'll actually buy a gun. 

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.