Author Topic: ACHTUNG, Grammar Nazis.  (Read 6869 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: ACHTUNG, Grammar Nazis.
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2013, 11:21:40 PM »
Grammatically, we are still at "groovy".

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2013, 09:52:55 AM »
Grammatically, we are still at "groovy".

stay safe.

That's grand, isn't it?  =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2013, 12:26:27 PM »
I use disunirregardless disunirregardless of its disuninappropriatenessless.

I even added it to to my terrytionary.

"Epitome" used as the "top" of something used to bother me, since it really means the average, or a good example of.  Something.

One-word sentences used to bother me, too.  

Sometimes.

Even though there are implied modifiers.

As in: "One-word sentences used to bother me, too, sometimes, even though there are implied modifiers."

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 12:38:22 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2013, 03:09:29 PM »
English isn't the only language that begs, borrows, or steals words from other languages.

My 4 years of formal Latin taught me that. 

And y'all should be glad we don't speak Latin anymore.  A Grammar Nazi would be considered an uneducated amateur.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIAdHEwiAy8
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2013, 04:10:32 PM »
I use disunirregardless disunirregardless of its disuninappropriatenessless.

I even added it to to my terrytionary.

"Epitome" used as the "top" of something used to bother me, since it really means the average, or a good example of.  Something.

One-word sentences used to bother me, too.  

Sometimes.

Even though there are implied modifiers.

As in: "One-word sentences used to bother me, too, sometimes, even though there are implied modifiers."

Terry, 230RN

??? It can be used that way?

It's funny. Reading this thread, I'm learning more wrong uses for words I know then words I didn't know I was using wrong.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2013, 04:44:40 PM »
English isn't the only language that begs, borrows, or steals words from other languages.

My 4 years of formal Latin taught me that. 

And y'all should be glad we don't speak Latin anymore.  A Grammar Nazi would be considered an uneducated amateur.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIAdHEwiAy8

French is supposed to be a mixture of Latin and the native Celtic language.

I can see similarities between French and Scots Gaelic.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2013, 05:27:30 PM »
I have two pet peeves, either of which make me feel all stabby.

The expression "could care less" is being substituted for "couldn't care less.

The use of an inserted sentence or question in an ongoing sentence.

Example:  "It's a question of will we go there."  This should be formed:  "It's a question of whether we will go there."
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2013, 06:15:44 PM »
I have two pet peeves, either of which make me feel all stabby.

The expression "could care less" is being substituted for "couldn't care less.

The use of an inserted sentence or question in an ongoing sentence.

Example:  "It's a question of will we go there."  This should be formed:  "It's a question of whether we will go there."

Or it's a question of whither we will go.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2013, 08:02:59 PM »
??? It can be used that way?

It's funny. Reading this thread, I'm learning more wrong uses for words I know then words I didn't know I was using wrong.

You mean like the reversal of "then" and "than"?

(I am perfectly willing to accept a fat-finger typo claim for occasional lapses, but regular reversals are events up with which I shall not put.)

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2013, 08:38:59 PM »
You mean like the reversal of "then" and "than"?

(I am perfectly willing to accept a fat-finger typo claim for occasional lapses, but regular reversals are events up with which I shall not put.)

stay safe.

*snort* I'm guessing I do that all the time. You know correcting my grammer is futile. :P
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2013, 09:38:15 PM »
*snort* I'm guessing I do that all the time. You know correcting my grammer is futile. :P

Better that than "isle" for "aisle".  Unless, of course, you get your cereal on a land mass totally surrounded by water.

stay safe.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2013, 09:50:44 PM »
Better that than "isle" for "aisle".  Unless, of course, you get your cereal on a land mass totally surrounded by water.

stay safe.

Now, that's not a mistake I make.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2013, 09:53:24 PM »

I thought it was feudal  =D

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2013, 09:55:56 PM »
I thought it was feudal  =D

Well, you're old enough to know first hand...

=D

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2013, 06:31:27 PM »
It's funny, as I get older I find myself switching homonyms around, like site and sight and breech and breach and the like.

I'm sometimes amazed when I re-read my junk and see a their instead of a they're or a there and smite my forehead, saying, "Now how in the heck did you manage to do that, Terry?"

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2013, 07:16:48 PM »
It's funny, as I get older I find myself switching homonyms around, like site and sight and breech and breach and the like.

I'm sometimes amazed when I re-read my junk and see a their instead of a they're or a there and smite my forehead, saying, "Now how in the heck did you manage to do that, Terry?"

I blame such substitutions on the keyboard ...

In reality, however, I am certain that this is due ("do"?) at least in part to seeing so much garbled grammar on the Internet that the mind subconsciously repeats what it frequently sees ... even when incorrect. On one forum I frequent, a VERY prolific poster has a Habit of gratuitously capitalizing Words in the middle of Sentences, and then using Apostrophe's to make singular Nouns into Plural's. After seeing so much of this, I have to watch myself because I've caught my fingers doing the same thing without prior authorization.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2013, 01:49:23 AM »
I was going to comment on its not needing an apostrophe because it's its own possessive, but it's not that important.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 01:56:58 AM by 230RN »

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2013, 10:22:29 AM »
I was going to comment on its not needing an apostrophe because it's its own possessive, but it's not that important.

Your rite.  ;)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2013, 05:36:56 PM »

In reality, however, I am certain that this is due ("do"?) at least in part to seeing so much garbled grammar on the Internet that the mind subconsciously repeats what it frequently sees ... even when incorrect. On one forum I frequent, a VERY prolific poster has a Habit of gratuitously capitalizing Words in the middle of Sentences, and then using Apostrophe's to make singular Nouns into Plural's. After seeing so much of this, I have to watch myself because I've caught my fingers doing the same thing without prior authorization.

I blame the German I learned for the capitalization of proper nouns.   I also go back a re-read some things I posted and cringe while I edit those posts.  I really do the difference between they're, there and their; do and due; its and it's; then and than, etc.   It's just getting my fingers to cooperate.  :P
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2013, 01:16:30 AM »
"a VERY prolific poster has a Habit of gratuitously capitalizing Words in the middle of Sentences"

That's something I fight against all the time in my job as a technical writer/editor.

Years ago I told one particular ass that I wasn't going to abandon the rules of proper capitalization just so he could stroke his own ego. He didn't like that, but my boss backed me up.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2013, 10:24:54 AM »
"a VERY prolific poster has a Habit of gratuitously capitalizing Words in the middle of Sentences"

That's something I fight against all the time in my job as a technical writer/editor.

Years ago I told one particular ass that I wasn't going to abandon the rules of proper capitalization just so he could stroke his own ego. He didn't like that, but my boss backed me up.

Well if that's your biggest Problem then you don't deal with folks from a certain country in south central Asia  :lol:

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2013, 01:06:56 PM »

I have to watch that too. 
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2013, 02:27:47 PM »

Sorta like the panoply of excuses I use at my indoor range.

Damn crosswind.

Bird flew past my scope image.

Raindrops on my lens.

There was a squirrel suddenly showed up on the backstop and I jerked the shot.  Didn't you see it?

These are all carryovers from the days when I could do outdoor shooting.

Then there's my "BANG," recovery from recoil, look through the scope again, and holler "Called, 8 o'clock 6-ring."

Terry

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2013, 03:34:38 PM »

In fact, Terry, just how did you manage to "read" your "junk" in the first place?   >:D
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2013, 03:36:00 PM »

Yep.  It's a good place to put an apostrophe.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.