Author Topic: CA Members, Buy Guns Now  (Read 16261 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
CA Members, Buy Guns Now
« on: November 05, 2010, 07:07:38 PM »
It's looking more and more like Kamala Harris will end up being our new AG. I honestly thought she would never have a chance, even in this lib state, because of her Draconian views on the law (for the law-abiding anyway). Here's what she has to say about the San Francisco law on residents being required to keep their guns unloaded, locked, and unuseable:

Sponsored a San Francisco ordinance requiring gun owners to keep their handguns in a locked container or disabled with a trigger lock in their own homes making them useless for immediate self-defense! And said that “[j]ust because you legally possess a gun in the sanctity of your locked home doesn’t mean that we’re not going to walk into that home and check to see if you’re being responsible and safe in the way that you conduct your affairs.”

One would think that would raise hackles of even anti-gun people in this state, since if you replace "guns" with anything else, (let's say pot) and her with another AG, what's to keep an anti-pot AG from doing random home searches on "how people conduct their affairs".

It appears many of my fellow residents are already scared about this. I was going to go today to buy that Ruger LCR that I had asked opinions on in the Roundtable, and found out the local gun shop was completely out of handgun safety certificates (we have to take a lame test every 5 years to buy a handgun) because the had a run on them this week. He's hoping to get some in next week...

I was checking things out on Calguns.net, and some people there had a good point, in that Harris is so screwed up that quite possibly she'll make constitutional bungles that could actually work out in the positive for gun owners. One can only hope...
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
Re: CA Members, Buy Guns Now
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 07:12:14 PM »
So I wonder who's gonna be the next "McDonald"
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 07:21:53 PM »
One would think that would raise hackles of even anti-gun people in this state, since if you replace "guns" with anything else, (let's say pot) and her with another AG, what's to keep an anti-pot AG from doing random home searches on "how people conduct their affairs".

Or sex.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 08:34:33 PM »
Or sex.

You'd think the (insert sexually positive group here) would realize that.  But alas, as long as someone else's rights are being infringed, they think it's okay....unintended consequences are like a dead language in this country....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 11:33:43 PM »
Whatever Arnold wasn't he could usually be counted on to veto most anti-gun insanity.  Jerry and Kamala certainly spell trouble for California gunowners, but they will have to fly head-on into Heller to do their worst.  I don't think they'll get away with that.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 01:37:47 AM »
You'd think the (insert sexually positive group here) would realize that.  But alas, as long as someone else's rights are being infringed, they think it's okay....unintended consequences are like a dead language in this country....

guffaw
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 02:03:35 AM »
The problem with the libs, esp. in CA, is that as long as nobody is trying to infringe on their practices of sexual perversions, or making any mention of moral standards/religion they think they're optimally free.  Any other infringements on freedom are OK by them as they seem to not really see it as such.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 02:39:14 AM »

Do you remember the context in which that word first appeared on thse forums? :)
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2010, 09:33:30 AM »
Do you remember the context in which that word first appeared on thse forums? :)

I'm trying to remember what I had for breakfast.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2010, 09:50:28 AM »
Whatever Arnold wasn't he could usually be counted on to veto most anti-gun insanity.  Jerry and Kamala certainly spell trouble for California gunowners, but they will have to fly head-on into Heller to do their worst.  I don't think they'll get away with that.

Although Arnie is the jackass that signed the "no mail order ammo and we're taking your fingerprints when you buy ammo" law (a group is currently suing to stop its FEB 2011 implementation).

I'm much more concerned with Harris as an AG than I ever was with Brown. For as much as a moonbeam as he is, he actually never (to my knowledge) pushed any 2nd Amendment restrictions in his AG role, he just gave the thumbs up whenever anyone else did, and (again AFAIK) never blocked or spoke against any proposed or implemented restrictions. I think Harris will attempt an active role in 2nd Amendment restrictions.

But you're right in that things might not go as they plan due to Heller, et al., and where Californians have simply laid down to let, "a restriction here and a restriction there" get by, they may not do so when her full wacky agenda comes to light.

The truly sad part is it's hard for me to root for her Republican opponent as the ballots are counted, because he may actually be to the left of Brown where RKBA is concerned.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2010, 05:25:31 PM »
The problem with the libs, esp. in CA, is that as long as nobody is trying to infringe on their practices of sexual perversions, or making any mention of moral standards/religion they think they're optimally free.  Any other infringements on freedom are OK by them as they seem to not really see it as such.

What makes you think Liberals are the only ones guilty of this?  Pretty much everyone is guilty of this.  The state of Texas is a great example.  You can carry your guns almost anywhere, but God forbid you want some liquor.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2010, 01:56:13 AM »
I was checking things out on Calguns.net, and some people there had a good point, in that Harris is so screwed up that quite possibly she'll make constitutional bungles that could actually work out in the positive for gun owners. One can only hope...

Ya think?  I'm rather curious to see how much of their asinine drivel would backfire on them.  Anti-2A folks refusing to back down handed us Heller and McDonald.  If they had folded, we'd actually be well behind where we are today.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2010, 10:46:42 AM »
What makes you think Liberals are the only ones guilty of this?  Pretty much everyone is guilty of this.  The state of Texas is a great example.  You can carry your guns almost anywhere, but God forbid you want some liquor.

Or buy adult toys in some places.

(Took a whack-on-the-nose by an appeals court)
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23155562/

Boy, you should see a real born-and-bred Texan get red when you lay out a case for why they aren't nearly as free as they think they are....  >:D

PS:
If at all possible, were I a Californian, I'd vote with my feet after this last election cycle.  They are going to destroy that state, one liberty and one business at a time.  It's going to be like Detroit, x 100.  Me, I'd not be there when it happens if I were some of you....
There are lots of states that are way more free.  Most western states and most Southern states. 
Find the opportunity, salt the earth, retreat.
JD

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2010, 11:43:59 AM »
We have had "Don't Californicate <your state's name>!" bumper stickers for years, and for good reason.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 12:01:49 PM by Chuck Dye »
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2010, 02:26:36 PM »
PS:
If at all possible, were I a Californian, I'd vote with my feet after this last election cycle.  They are going to destroy that state, one liberty and one business at a time.  It's going to be like Detroit, x 100.  Me, I'd not be there when it happens if I were some of you....
There are lots of states that are way more free.  Most western states and most Southern states. 

I hear you. I've been thinking about it a lot more lately. I'm at a point in my life and finances where I can easily take a deferred retirement, sell my home and rental property here, and move somewhere way cheaper and with more freedom, and have a comfortable retirement income with what I get from the .gov and if I pick a good market, what I can get from re-investing in rentals somewhere else.

My big thing holding me back is my parents. It's a self-imposed guilt trip, nothing they're doing, but they're on in years, and my mom is in the early stages of Alzheimer's, which makes things pretty hard on my dad. I'm at their farm at least a couple of times a month helping out. I just feel like I'm hanging them out to dry if I take off now.

I've actually thought a lot about Oregon and Washington, since from what I've seen from albeit short trips there over the years, they have a climate and physical features that are a big draw for me, plus they wouldn't be all that far for still helping out my folks. But it seems like both those states are starting to lean pretty progressive too. Sometimes when I read stuff about Portland, it makes San Fransisco look conservative.

I used to go to Texas a lot, and really like the people and social environment that values independence and freedom, but man, those humid summers always did me in ( I mostly was in the San Antonio region).

I also throw Kentucky, Oklahoma, Tennessee, and Arkansas into the mix when I'm thinking about places, but have again only spent a little time in three of them. They're mostly on the list from seeming to be pretty free, having good fishing and hunting, and from me seeing nice sized pieces of land for sale in small town environments that are in my price range on Realtor.com. :)

But yeah, I've been a "stay and fight" guy, but it may be time for me to admit defeat.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2010, 03:09:02 PM »
Or buy adult toys in some places.

(Took a whack-on-the-nose by an appeals court)
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23155562/

Boy, you should see a real born-and-bred Texan get red when you lay out a case for why they aren't nearly as free as they think they are....  >:D

PS:

Workin' on it, I'm pretty sure I'm done here.
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2010, 03:11:16 PM »
I remember reading some years back about California taxing retirement income, even if you move out of California.  Something about since you earned it there, you owe it there.

Is that right?

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2010, 03:15:43 PM »
I remember reading some years back about California taxing retirement income, even if you move out of California.  Something about since you earned it there, you owe it there.

Is that right?

DD

I'm not sure of current status -- I need to look into it. Not only for retirement income, but for a while they were looking at a "penalty tax" if you sold commercial property (including residential rentals) and moved out of state. There's so many underhanded tax regulations that get passed here, no one can keep up with them. Moving my money out of state is something that is going to require consultation with a very well-qualified tax attorney.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2010, 03:34:38 PM »
There's so many underhanded tax regulations that get passed here, no one can keep up with them.

I'm thinking that might be intentional.   [ar15]

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2010, 12:22:07 PM »
Whatever Arnold wasn't he could usually be counted on to veto most anti-gun insanity.

He didn't veto the .50BMG ban.  Or the microstamping law.  Or the thumbprint/no mail order ammo law.

Arnie kind of sucked, IMHO. I predict Brown will be remarkably better than him on gun rights as governor.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2010, 01:45:23 PM »

...and I would not be one of those Texans....see my sig....when Texas starts repealing the rest of their "Blue Laws" that didn't get axed the first time and legalizes Alaska/Vermont-style CCW, then I'll put up an arguement...
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2010, 02:31:29 PM »
Ben, come on up to OR, we'll welcome you with open arms.  But don't tell the liberals down there that.  Tell them that we're building a wall between CA and OR to keep the stupid out.

Granted, we've got quite a few of our own stupids up here (see the latest election results for plenty of proof of that) but we're at least fighting them.  When a liberal governor in OR can BARELY squeak by a complete political newbie, It's A Good Sign.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2010, 02:53:51 PM »
Right after the election, I bought two maps.

One is a large, detailed map of the western U.S., and the other a map of the whole country.

My wife and I have decided to start looking at other possible places to live, and at the same time begin taking road trips to show our two young sons their country.

First one will be spring break next April. I'm thinking western & northern Arizona, swing-up to see the Grand Canyon, then maybe swing around the north side and through Zion NP and back to So Cal.

Other suggestions for this trip and/or future recon missions are most wanted and welcome.

Are there any parts of Texas that aren't humid in the summer?

Sawdust
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2010, 09:53:04 PM »
Ben, come on up to OR, we'll welcome you with open arms.  But don't tell the liberals down there that.  Tell them that we're building a wall between CA and OR to keep the stupid out.

Thanks Man! I promise to sneak out in the dead of night! :)

Sometimes people have a blanket "no Californians" rule, not recognizing that some of us are would-be refugees that will strengthen the Conservative and libertarian voter blocks in their states. Our state only got this way from Leftists coming in. We used to have Reagan as Governor.

Sad that I have to think about fleeing, but good to know there are places where I'm welcome. :)

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2010, 10:35:38 PM »

PS:
If at all possible, were I a Californian, I'd vote with my feet after this last election cycle. 

I did back in 2005.  I've lived most of my life there, and I miss it.  The straw that broke my back was the doubling of bridge tolls to fund mass transit that I could not use, instead of increasing fares.

I consider myself a Californian refugee, but Texas is my home for now.  I uprooted a LOT of my life to leave California, and it hurts a lot, even now.  Maybe one day I'll get to go back, but i don't see it happening soon.  Living here, I've learned to appreciate a lot of what a conservative state has to offer, but California will always be my home.  I don't regret the decision at all, but hard choices stink, and it was a hard choice.

Looking at maybe some jobs in Oregon or Washington; that might be a compromise.  One of them is with a large internet retailer based in Seattle; we'll see.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM