Author Topic: The contraception debate and my SIL  (Read 16753 times)

BridgeRunner

• friend
Re: The contraception debate and my SIL
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2012, 12:06:36 AM »
I don't debate anything with brain damaged, aka liberals.  You are just wasting air to do so.  I am puzzled about liberals wanting free birth control.  They haven't used it in the past to have more kids so uncle sugar will give them more money.  If you don't want more kids, just keep  your pants on.  That is free birth control....chris3

Anyone who thinks all liberals are brain-damaged has clearly not bothered to listen to many of them.  Liberals are not stupid.  They just disagree with you.  And me, on a bunch of things.  But they are not, by definition, intellectually challenged. 

I find it foolish to build one's entire perception of one's political enemies' position built entirely on the dismissal as "brain damaged" of a series of self-built straw men that loosely relate to the actual issues. 

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2012, 12:10:40 AM »
Sigh. It's not about sex, or contraceptives, or equal pay, or vaginas, or men or women. It's about the president of the United States pushing around a church and its religion and "prohibiting the free exercise thereof."**

**See Constitution, Bill of Rights, Amendment One

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2012, 12:16:57 AM »
Now, if you are interested in my opinion, then basically it comes down to one finds it acceptable to pay women less than men.  It's an equal pay for equal work scenario.  I don't find it acceptable for an employer to ostensibly pay the same amount of money for the same job to women as they pay to men, except for that the pay for women does not include a major item of routine health care that requires an office visit and a prescription (which pretty much is what differentiates it from say, toothpaste or athlete's foot spray) and the pay for men includes all major routine health care (that requires a medical professional's intervention, etc, see above).

Stuff paid for by and insurance company is not "free" stuff.  When it's a benefit of employment, it's usually a combination of stuff received in exchange for premium payments deducted from one's paycheck and stuff received in exchange for premiums paid by one's employer--as a part of a benefits package that is a part of one's pay for doing the work.  It's not free.  When you get the phone with your insurer and argue over some billing screw-up that is costing you money, are you doing that because you want to get whatever service/drug for "free" or because you are entitled to it in exchange for work performed or payments tendered?

But it all comes down to whether one considers it appropriate for the fedgov to require that women be paid the same amount as men for the same work.  However, the argument that women who take this sort of job should suck it up because they knew it was not fair is pretty crass.  Thanks for noticing that women's lives, like everybody else's, are not fair.  But in the immortal words of Calvin "Why can't it ever be unfair in my favor?"  Women, just like people, tend to try to make our lives a bit less unfair for us.  Wanting to get paid the same money for doing the same stuff is a far cry from whining for free stuff.  And this pretty much comes under the heading of the principle behind the post-civil war amendments: It is simply not enough for gov't to say "Hey, y'all are free, go forth and prosper."  When there's institutionalized discrimination denying equality to a specific class of people on a fairly broad scale, saying they're free to work where they want, study where they want, live where they want, is meaningless so long as those institutions persist in denying that class of persons equal--or even reasonable--access to work, study, or reside.

Obviously, this is on a much smaller scale, but the same principle applies.  The "and be glad you have a job [that pays you less because you have women's health needs they don't like]" is pretty disingenuous.  One is permitted to want, and demand, what one wills from his employer.  At my last job, I was very glad to have a job, but pushed my employer pretty hard to keep the office open later in the evening, to make my life more convenient.  I was glad to have a job, but appreciated it when a colleague who was in a slightly more secure position agitated for overtime pay. 

Heck, I'm glad to have a roof over my head, but I want my landlord to clean my funky carpet.  I'm glad I have a left arm, but want to have less pain using it.  People strive for stuff.  People want more than what we have.  It's what landed men on the moon, it's what settled the West, and it's what built this weird place we call the USA.  It's what makes us people.  Even those of us who have vaginas. 

And speaking of having vaginas, I like to use it.  To have sex.  Kind of like most of you like to have sex.  Now, this whole line of reasoning is utterly irrelevant.  The issue isn't the sex, it's the unequal employment benefits.  But as it was raised, sure, I'll go there.  Seems that according to the Catholic Church (and most others), having sex is pretty much a duty spouses owe to each other.  It's also a pretty vital component of most non-sucky spousal relationships. Do you gentlemen really want women to stop having sex?  Cuz you'd get tired of jacking off pretty quick, one would think, no? And if you don't actually want women to stop having sex, why do you keep saying so?  Why is this a part of the issue?  Seems to me that if a woman wishes to not pay for birth control to keep her pay (as close as possible to) equal to her male colleagues', she simply needs to insist he use a condom.  Personally, aside from the taste, I have no issue with condoms, but haven't met too many guys who really enjoy them.  And the latex taste issue is resolved pretty easily, but again, have yet to meet a guy who thinks my solution is a particularly great plan.  So, I'm assuming that most of you do actually want your wives, significant others, less-significant others, etc., to use the sort of birth control that y'know, doesn't generally decrease your enjoyment of sex.

Of course, there are principles at stake way bigger than whether you like to wrap it or not.  It's about issues of government and religion and other big issues.  And reasonable minds can differ on that point.  Especially since it's really about equitable application of job benefits, and not about sex at all. 

So, why, for the love of the gods and all that is holey, why have so many men made this about smearing women who like/have too much sex?  Why has this become about jokes about aspirin between the knees and name-calling?  What purpose does it serve? 

In a democratic republic, the rights of two parties to be free to do as they will tend to bump heads an awful lot.  This is another instance of that.  No more, no less.  Equal pay=religious freedom.  Ok, so it's a biggie.  But sluts?  "Keep your pants on"? "Any woman who spends more than $3000 on birth control is a slut"? "whinging"?

Double-yew-tee-eff, gentlemen. Please find some civility and use it, because throwing your weight around about much more sexual freedom you ought to have than women is a-stupid, b-incorrect, C-NOT THE *expletive deleted*ING ISSUE.

PS: Employer-sponsored health insurance is a stupid, expensive, foolish system that frustrates small business development, perpetuates terrible, abusive marriages, ties adult children to the apron strings for years, and leads to insane waste, not to mention a whole slew of interesting constitutional issues. And it was brought to you by Congress and the Internal Revenue Service.  Imagine my surprise.  Best answer to this whole mess, and a whole bunch of others, is get rid of the government-imposed economic benefit to employers for offering insurance.

You're all so busy railing against gov't in health care, without acknowledging fully that gov't is neck-deep in it, manipulating it and screwing the market around, inflating prices and turning people into drones tied to a paternal employer with its hand so deep in our health that we don't dare start a small business, find a different job, explore better options for us and our families, lest the punishment be death or disability through medical neglect.

It does seem to me that something could be worked out with deductibles and what-not to enable women to not have to pay more out of pocket than men without their employers purchasing something they don't want to purchase. 

1) I'm not Catholic.  I have nothing against birth control, except where it's a slippery slope to abortion (and I'm not going to make that argument because it's pretty lame -- for now)  What does The Pill cost these days, about $15 per month?  $25? Arguing that it really costs much more than that because of the exams and prescriptions and such is disingenuous *unless* those office visits are not covered. 

2) "all that's holey" *snicker*  Good one!

3) I don't think anybody is defending Rush Limbaugh's personal attacks of that Georgetown student whats-her-name.  But he was right to point out the ridiculousness of that $3000 figure she pulled out of... somewhere. 

4) How about if women's health premiums were $30 per month cheaper than men's if birth control is not covered?  (assumes gyno office visits are covered (and probably always have been))
"It's good, though..."

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2012, 12:20:27 AM »
Sigh. It's not about sex, or contraceptives, or equal pay, or vaginas, or men or women. It's about the president of the United States pushing around a church and its religion and "prohibiting the free exercise thereof."**

**See Constitution, Bill of Rights, Amendment One

Sigh.  Yes, it is about some of those things.  Even if you insist it isn't.***

***Condescending citation do something-or-other.****  

****Probably all those dozens of cases defining the scope of the protections of the free exercise clause, coupled with the constitutional bases for sundry laws prohibiting pay discrimination on the basis of sex, among other thing.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2012, 12:32:50 AM »
Does anybody here object to a health insurance plan covering contraception, for men or women?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2012, 12:39:56 AM »
1) I'm not Catholic.  I have nothing against birth control, except where it's a slippery slope to abortion (and I'm not going to make that argument because it's pretty lame -- for now)  What does The Pill cost these days, about $15 per month?  $25? Arguing that it really costs much more than that because of the exams and prescriptions and such is disingenuous *unless* those office visits are not covered. 

I have no idea if they are are or not, but I do know my closest irl friend is consigned to the joy of condoms because she can't take the pill, or other hormonal bc, and can't afford an IUD--about $300, for the one she would get.  I don't know if the office visit is covered or not.  I can see it not being covered if one is being seen specifically to get the bc, and not rolling it into a routine visit.  Seems if one is saving up for the device, it would be more likely to have it be a separate visit.  

I use a Mirena IUD, because I also should not use hormonal birth control.  Pretty much most of us with a fairly substantial dose of the crazy shouldn't, because the hormones can do wacky, wacky stuff to out-of-whack moods.  She absolutely cannot, meds conflict.  I also have taken antibiotics for up to several weeks a year, spread throughout the year, due to bronchial and sinus problems, and those render the pill ineffective, hard to know for how long, and thus leads to some major stress.  People on long-term abx or who use abx frequently are often advised to try other BC options.  And I have ADHD.  Remembering to take a pill, at the same time, every day, is.... :lol: :laugh: :lol:   :laugh: ....yeah, it just hasn't ever worked out that way.  If one has a halfway intelligent doctor, demonstrated failure to reliably stick to a precise meds schedule is a good reason to advise other options.  Mirena is somewhere upwards of $500.    

2) "all that's holey" *snicker*  Good one!

Thank you, I was proud of that  =)

3) I don't think anybody is defending Rush Limbaugh's personal attacks of that Georgetown student whats-her-name.  But he was right to point out the ridiculousness of that $3000 figure she pulled out of... somewhere. 

I'm not troubled by Limbaugh's BS so much as by his defenders--and yes, there are many on this board.  But mostly by his emulators.  I've been called a slut for intelligently discussing this issue and defending womens' use of birth control for the purpose of having sex, usually within a marital marital relationship, more times in the past month or so than in the thirty-three years prior to that delightful moment of talk radio.  

I don't recall the breakdown of the $3000, but I think it was over three years, not a single year.  And it's a tad excessive, but not really outrageously so.

4) How about if women's health premiums were $30 per month cheaper than men's if birth control is not covered?  (assumes gyno office visits are covered (and probably always have been))

Not really a good solution, see above.  But a good solution could readily be crafted.  

[/quote]

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2012, 12:44:36 AM »
Does anybody here object to a health insurance plan covering contraception, for men or women?

Well, only in that it is not "insurance."  Describe it properly: an ate up and hyper-inefficient way to pre-pay for expected & foreseeable expenses. 

"I demand oil-change insurance for my car!"

"I demand toilet paper insurance for my bunghole!"

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2012, 12:57:25 AM »
Well, only in that it is not "insurance."  Describe it properly: an ate up and hyper-inefficient way to pre-pay for expected & foreseeable expenses. 

"I demand oil-change insurance for my car!"

"I demand toilet paper insurance for my bunghole!"

Obligatory picture of "Cornholio":

"It's good, though..."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2012, 01:49:15 AM »
Sigh.  Yes, it is about some of those things.  Even if you insist it isn't.***

***Condescending citation do something-or-other.**** 

****Probably all those dozens of cases defining the scope of the protections of the free exercise clause, coupled with the constitutional bases for sundry laws prohibiting pay discrimination on the basis of sex, among other thing.

BridgeRunner, I do believe I would know what my own complaint was with President Obama on this issue, and I do know that I wasn't upset about birth control. Unless you've acquired some sort of mind-reading skills, I suggest you take me at my word when I say what my issue is.

The birth control debate may be relevant to all sort of people, but it's been used as a smokescreen by the White House to deflect attention from one of the most visible violations of the Constitution that Obama has perpetrated.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2012, 08:22:22 AM »
But, if you are interested in my opinion, then basically it comes down to whether one finds it acceptable to pay women less than men for the same work.  It's an equal pay for equal work scenario.  I don't find it acceptable for an employer to ostensibly pay the same amount of money for the same job to women as they pay to men, except for that the pay for women does not include a major item of routine health care that requires an office visit and a prescription (which pretty much is what differentiates it from say, toothpaste or athlete's foot spray) and the pay for men includes all major routine health care (that requires a medical professional's intervention, etc, see above).

That's a load of crap. What are men getting that women aren't getting if the Catholic church doesn't pay for their birth control? Equal pay means equal pay. It doesn't mean women get a special bonus because they have different expenses than men. Unles you are arguing that equality means equality of outcome.

Even if it were, this is a matter of religious freedom. If you don't want to be bound by the dictates of a religion that is not your own, do not go to work for that relgion.

So, it all comes down to whether one considers it appropriate for the fedgov to require that women be paid the same amount as men for the same work.  There is a legitimate difference of opinion on this point that tends to split along the line between liberal/conservative.  However, the argument that women who take this sort of job should suck it up because they knew it was not fair is pretty silly.  Thanks for noticing that women's lives, like everybody else's, are not fair.  But in the immortal words of Calvin "Why can't it ever be unfair in my favor?"  Women, just like people, tend to try to make our lives a bit less unfair for us.  Wanting to get paid the same money for doing the same stuff is a far cry from whining for free stuff.  And this pretty much comes under the heading of the principle behind the post-civil war amendments: It is simply not enough for gov't to say "Hey, y'all are free, go forth and prosper."  When there's institutionalized discrimination denying equality to a specific class of people on a fairly broad scale, saying they're free to work where they want, study where they want, live where they want, is meaningless so long as those institutions persist in denying that class of persons equal--or even reasonable--access to work, study, or reside.

Not giving women an extra benefit that men don't get =/= THE PATRIACHY IS HOLDING TEH WOMYN DOWN!

Obviously, this is on a much smaller scale, but the same principle applies.  The "and be glad you have a job [that pays you less because you have women's health needs they don't like]" is pretty disingenuous.  One is permitted to want, and demand, what one wills from his employer.  At my last job, I was very glad to have a job, but pushed my employer pretty hard to keep the office open later in the evening, to make my life more convenient.  I was glad to have a job, but appreciated it when a colleague who was in a slightly more secure position agitated for overtime pay.  If one believes that fedgov interference to ensure equal pay for equal work is acceptable, then absolutely, agitating for this particular benefit is a legitimate expression of a reasonable and ethical desire.

Only if you believe that equality of outcome is your goal. FURTHER you have to completely ignore the fact that the religion for whom these women are working is firmly opposed to this "benefit". Again, there are hundreds or thousands of other jobs than to go work for the Catholic church. To force this upon the Church in the name of "equality" is completely disingenuous. This is about forcing the Catholic church to abandon their beliefs in favor of your own.

Heck, I'm glad to have a roof over my head, but I want my landlord to clean my funky carpet.  I'm entitled under my lease, and therefore I want it.  I'm glad I have a left arm, but want to have less pain using it.  I'm not entitled to it, but I want it, and I'm going to do what I can to get it.  People strive for stuff.  People want more than what we have.  It's what landed men on the moon, it's what settled the West, and it's what built this weird place we call the USA.  It's what makes us people.  Even those of us who have vaginas. 

But, if after signing a lease that says you'll clean your own carpet, you petition the government to force your landlord to clean your carpet for you, that would be more the case here.

And speaking of having vaginas, I like to use mine.  To have sex.  Kind of like most of you like to have sex.  But that's utterly irrelevant.  In fact sex in general is utterly irrelevant.  There's an unequal benefit and there's a religious principle.  That those two things involve sex does not matter. The issue isn't the sex, it's the unequal employment benefits.  But as it was raised, so sure, I'll go there.  Seems that according to the Catholic Church (and most others), having sex is pretty much a duty spouses owe to each other.  It's also a pretty vital component of most non-sucky spousal relationships. Do you gentlemen really want women to stop having sex?  Cuz you'd get tired of jacking off pretty quick, one would think, no? And if you don't actually want women to stop having sex, why do you keep saying so?  Why is this a part of the issue?  Seems to me that if a woman wishes to not pay for birth control to keep her pay (as close as possible to) equal to her male colleagues', she simply needs to insist he use a condom.  Personally, aside from the taste, I have no issue with condoms, but haven't met too many guys who really enjoy them.  And the latex taste issue is resolved pretty easily, but again, have yet to meet a guy who thinks my solution is a particularly great plan.  So, I'm assuming that most of you do actually want your wives, significant others, less-significant others, etc., to use the sort of birth control that y'know, doesn't generally decrease your enjoyment of sex.

No, the issue ISN'T sex. It may be the Catholic's issue, but as I am not Catholic, I don't have the same beliefs. It IS about forcing the Catholics to conform to your beliefs because you think their "issues" are  wrong wrong wrong and must be put down in the name of "equality!!11"

But of course, there are principles at stake way bigger than whether you like to wrap it or not.  It's about issues of government and religion and other big issues.  And reasonable minds can differ on that point.  Especially since it's really about equitable application of job benefits, and not about sex at all. 

Yes, and it's about FREEDOM, not equality of outcome. That's why those of us (and as far as I can tell, not a single Catholic has opined yet) who are not Catholics take this so seriously. This is an abridgement of the first amendment.

So, why, for the love of the gods and all that is holey, why have so many men made this about smearing women who like/have too much sex?  Why has this become about jokes about aspirin between the knees and name-calling?  What purpose does it serve? 

In a democratic republic, the rights of two parties to be free to do as they will tend to bump heads an awful lot.  This is another instance of that.  No more, no less.  Equal pay v. religious freedom.  Ok, so it's a biggie.  But sluts?  "Keep your pants on"? "Any woman who spends more than $3000 on birth control is a slut"? "whinging"?

Rush's point (and my own when I adopted it) was that she was LYING. The slut reference was to call attention to the absurdity of her claims. Further, if Ms. Fluke didn't want her sex life the subject of national scrutiny, perhaps she shouldn't have made it a topic of a congressional photo op/press conference.

Double-yew-tee-eff, gentlemen. Please find some civility and use it, because throwing your weight around about how much more sexual freedom you ought to have than women is a-stupid, b-incorrect, C-NOT THE *expletive deleted*ING ISSUE.

Civility begins with honesty. I think dishonesty should be treated with disrespect.

As for the rest, I completely agree that the employer based health insurance is a very stupid arrangement. However, until that is rectified, further government intrusion on freedom should and will be fought. The precedence of abridging the first amendment in the name of "equality" is not some light thing.

I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2012, 09:14:21 AM »
The day you all have the "freedom" to be entirely at the mercy of health care companies and your employers will be the day your freedom to vote gets smart.

Bridgewalker is making the point that anyone without market power (read 99 percent of the population with health care) would for an essential service.  No rational person loves the market so much that they'd rather do without life altering medicine for its sake.

So, today it's birth control, tomorrow the vast majority of you who will have heart disease will be complaining about some invented government rule that just forced Pfizer to charge you $200 a day, leaving you either broke or dead.  Medicine is one of those products that if you're selling it, you're always going to be able to get nearly whatever you want.  

Excuse me now while I go feel oppressed by the doctor tomorrow, who because of public health care will be charging me a whopping $30 for a service that would run me $500 at home.  
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2012, 09:56:58 AM »
My thread is not about **expletive deleted** health care! It's about the First Amendment, and Obama's undermining of it. Go start your own healthcare/contraception/sex thread.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2012, 10:07:51 AM »
My thread is not about **expletive deleted** health care! It's about the First Amendment, and Obama's undermining of it. Go start your own healthcare/contraception/sex thread.

Laws of general application do not offend the first amendment just because one religion doesn't agree with them.  That's why religions don't get exceptions to laws on peyote.  It's also why they don't get them on laws about commercial practices.

Religious groups are more than welcome not to engage in regulated activities that, because of a generally applicable rule, would contradict their beliefs.

The right to worship is not a special licence to get out of otherwise perfectly constitutional laws.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2012, 10:16:35 AM »
Laws of general application do not offend the first amendment just because one religion doesn't agree with them.  That's why religions don't get exceptions to laws on peyote.  It's also why they don't get them on laws about commercial practices.

Religious groups are more than welcome not to engage in regulated activities that, because of a generally applicable rule, would contradict their beliefs.

The right to worship is not a special licence to get out of otherwise perfectly constitutional laws.

Exactly! Just like we didn't exempt anyone from military service when we had a draft for religious reasons!

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2012, 10:42:57 AM »
Mak, that's a very good comparison -any Catholics believe they have a religious obligation to determine whether a war is morally right before choosing whether to serve in it.  We most certainly do not afford them that right as an exception to the rule.  The just war doctrine doesn't get you conscientious objector status. 

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2012, 10:50:27 AM »
This administration seems to be interested in forcing people and institutions into contracting for services they otherwise wouldn't.

I guess the commerce clause trumps the limitations on government enshrined in the bill of rights and voids the whole concept of inalienable rights.     
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2012, 10:52:23 AM »
Mak, that's a very good comparison -any Catholics believe they have a religious obligation to determine whether a war is morally right before choosing whether to serve in it.  We most certainly do not afford them that right as an exception to the rule.  The just war doctrine doesn't get you conscientious objector status. 

Impressive obfuscation counsellor. You're getting good practice in today.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2012, 10:56:10 AM »
Impressive obfuscation counsellor. You're getting good practice in today.

Care to explain?  You cited an example of a law that does not make exceptions for religious beliefs, namely, he draft.   You did so apparently in the mistaken belief that it did.  Nevermind that the draft is about compulsory service and not about setting conditions on entry to the market; it isn't an example of special treatment for religions.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2012, 11:04:57 AM »
Care to explain?  You cited an example of a law that does not make exceptions for religious beliefs, namely, he draft.   You did so apparently in the mistaken belief that it did.  Nevermind that the draft is about compulsory service and not about setting conditions on entry to the market; it isn't an example of special treatment for religions.

So the Amish served in the military?

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2012, 11:18:19 AM »

Some did without a doubt- but others joined Atheist pacifists on the sidelines.  The supreme court explicitly rejected laws that made an exception only for religious people and not for others.  Yeah, the statute that enacted the draft created exceptions for religious beliefs, and the supreme court shot that policy down (on first amendment grounds)

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2012, 11:30:32 AM »

There was at least one pacifistic (don't know if he was Amish) who served unarmed as a medic, and was awarded a MOH.  

(shouldn't be too hard to find his name... wait just a minute...)  Desmond Doss.

ETA:  another couple of name:  Thomas W. Bennett and Joseph G. LaPointe, Jr.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 11:33:37 AM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2012, 11:31:06 AM »
Some did without a doubt- but others joined Atheist pacifists on the sidelines.  The supreme court explicitly rejected laws that made an exception only for religious people and not for others.  Yeah, the statute that enacted the draft created exceptions for religious beliefs, and the supreme court shot that policy down (on first amendment grounds)

Beliefs which qualify a registrant for C(oncientious)O(bjector) status may be religious in nature, but don't have to be. Beliefs may be moral or ethical; however, a man's reasons for not wanting to participate in a war must not be based on politics, expediency, or self-interest. In general, the man's lifestyle prior to making his claim must reflect his current claims.

http://www.sss.gov/FSconsobj.htm

Emphasis mine.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2012, 11:33:24 AM »
There was at least one pacifistic (don't know if he was Amish) who served unarmed as a medic, and was awarded a CMOH.  

(shouldn't be too hard to find his name... wait just a minute...)  Desmond Doss.

Perhaps I should be pointing out that they aren't required to act in contravention of their religious beliefs, which, of course, is the point.

If the current law required the Catholic Church to provide funding for its employee's education on Natural Family Planning in the place of artificial birth control, I could support that. I would not have a First Amendment objection to that.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2012, 12:20:36 PM »

Excuse me now while I go feel oppressed by the doctor tomorrow, who because of public health care will be charging me a whopping $30 for a service that would run me $500 at home.  

Oh, I'm sure you pay that doctor the $500.00 and possibly more.  Just not at the time you're writing out the check for his bill.  Perhaps when you pay your taxes.  Or when someone else pays his taxes.

TANSTAAFL.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2012, 03:05:26 PM »
OK, legal types. Just what can or cannot the president force churches to do? Can he force the Catholic church to fund abortions for its employees? Can he force the Church to display works of "art" such as the crucifix dipped in urine? Can he force the church to hire atheists?

Excuse my naivete, but I'm trying to figure out where the line is that the government can't cross. Obama made recess appointments while the Senate was technically in session, which is a violation of the Constitution, but the outcry over that didn't last long, either.