Author Topic: As murder rate climbs, Chicago mayor makes ‘values’ appeal  (Read 16416 times)

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/murder-rate-climbs-chicago-mayor-makes-values-appeal-161727694.html

Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel has a warning for gangs: Stay away from our kids.

Emanuel--formerly President Barack Obama's White House chief of staff and a Chicago-area congressman--is asking that even gang members show some regard for innocent children, and take their brawls "away to the alley."

Since coming into office 13 months ago, Emanuel has been shouldered with a soaring murder rate. As crime overall has dropped in the city and across the nation, Chicago already has had 275 murders this year, according to CBS News.

Looks like that gun control is not working well at all.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Nick1911

• Administrator
I wish we, "gun people" could get past the point where we attribute murder (and crime in general) to the one talking point we care about.  There are many, many factors that influence the murder rate.  The insinuation that the "one true big problem" is gun control makes us (as a group) look disingenuous at best, ignorant at worst.

To put in another way: Austrialia has a much lower murder rate then we do.  Perhaps we should implement their gun control policies? [1][2]

Sergeant Bob

• friend
I wish we, "gun people" could get past the point where we attribute murder (and crime in general) to the one talking point we care about.  There are many, many factors that influence the murder rate.  The insinuation that the "one true big problem" is gun control makes us (as a group) look disingenuous at best, ignorant at worst.

To put in another way: Austrialia has a much lower murder rate then we do.  Perhaps we should implement their gun control policies? [1][2]

I don't think he's saying "gun control" is the cause of the high crime rates, rather that implementing gun control does little to decrease crime.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon

It's more the anti-gunners that do that.  What I see is our side  pointing out that it's more complicated than that.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.

Where is Austrialia? ???  Do they even have guns there?  How about phase pulse guns in the 40 megawatt range?? [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
The trouble with Chicago is that it's full of Chicagoans  :P

/Longshanks  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
His appeal to the gangs reminds me of a comment by a member of the British Parliament in the 1990's. At issue was the arming--or not--of police, and an opponent said (words to the effect) that, if the criminals saw that the police were unarmed, perhaps they would be gentlemen enough to not be armed themselves.  ;/

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
I don't think he's saying "gun control" is the cause of the high crime rates, rather that implementing gun control does little to decrease crime.

Thank you - you are exactly correct.

Living in Chicago these days is like being a lame sheep with a target on your back.

I'll pass on being unarmed criminal fodder.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

De Selby

• friend
His appeal to the gangs reminds me of a comment by a member of the British Parliament in the 1990's. At issue was the arming--or not--of police, and an opponent said (words to the effect) that, if the criminals saw that the police were unarmed, perhaps they would be gentlemen enough to not be armed themselves.  ;/

I read an article by Dave Kopel covering that subject a while back - his view was that the single biggest factor in criminals arming themselves is an armed police force. 

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
I read an article by Dave Kopel covering that subject a while back - his view was that the single biggest factor in criminals arming themselves is an armed police force. 

Because no way in hell it could be to commit criminal acts
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

De Selby

• friend
Because no way in hell it could be to commit criminal acts

You don't need a gun to commit most criminal acts. 
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
The reason murder is up is probably due in part to CPD going back to business as usual.

They wouldn't keep Jody Weis in charge because half the force and the union hated him. He was forced out in March of last year. This in spite of his impressive results in lowering violent crime in Chicago during his short tenure (lowest murder rate since 1964 or thereabouts). He was replaced by the former chief, who is an inside guy, union likes him. Jody was an outsider and a former fed on top of it all (FBI).

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
You don't need a gun to commit most criminal acts. 

Having a gun keeps the victims from debating the subject with you.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
Having a gun keeps the victims from debating the subject with you.

Yea, and all of the other criminals have one.

Not buying this one.
Even if it was true, it has no bearing on infringing on the rights of legal carry by citizens.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Yea, and all of the other criminals have one.

Not buying this one.
Even if it was true, it has no bearing on infringing on the rights of legal carry by citizens.

Last I knew, David Kopel favors an armed citizenry. And since a disarmed police force makes about as much sense as a disarmed populace, he must have been saying that a criminal cohort desiring to arm itself is some kind of sign of progress. I.e., the people are armed; their police are armed, ergo the crooks try to arm themselves.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MicroBalrog

• friend

Have cop killings been a major issue in the UK, ever?

Why do UK cops need to be armed?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Perd Hapley

• friend
Why not?

Jim147

• friends
His appeal to their values has a few problems.

It can be turned to say, "It's alright if you kill each other, just don't let kids get caught in the crossfire." (Not that I have a problem with that.)

And, if they had real values, would we even be having this discussion?

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

De Selby

• friend

Last I knew, David Kopel favors an armed citizenry. And since a disarmed police force makes about as much sense as a disarmed populace, he must have been saying that a criminal cohort desiring to arm itself is some kind of sign of progress. I.e., the people are armed; their police are armed, ergo the crooks try to arm themselves.

http://www.davekopel.org/2A/LawRev/lrstlupl.htm

He explains the reasoning there - disarming police appears, for whatever reason, to reduce incidences of armed crime.

MicroBalrog

• friend
Why not?

Well, remember that the British introduced unarmed police at a time where gun ownership, including pistol ownership for self-defense, was common in England.

It was not done for outright hoplophobia.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

De Selby

• friend
Well, remember that the British introduced unarmed police at a time where gun ownership, including pistol ownership for self-defense, was common in England.

It was not done for outright hoplophobia.

I think it's an idea worth investigating - seems to have been more about a different conception of what police officers are supposed to do.

MicroBalrog

• friend
I think it's an idea worth investigating - seems to have been more about a different conception of what police officers are supposed to do.

Ka-ching.

Give this man a cee-gar.

HankB

• friend
. . .  To put in another way: Austrialia has a much lower murder rate then we do.  Perhaps we should implement their gun control policies?
Australia in general has a very different demographic than Chicago does.

Some time ago, Chicago did a study of murders over a 20 year period. At the time, about 3/4 of murders were committed by persons with prior criminal records. The bit of good news was that around 2/3 of the victims also had criminal records, putting most of the killings into the "good riddance" category.

The big problem is the study also included demographic data which showed that the vast majority of killings were committed by certain ethnicities . . . and that statistic was politically unpalatable, so the results of the study were studiously ignored.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• friend

In other words, people don't carry guns unless they want to use them.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net

I concur with De Selby. The British police do have armed units. They mostly keep their firearms at the armory back at their headquarters. Even the British know there is a time and place for armed police. Difference is the default always armed police. It is two very different philosophies. Both have good and bad points.

Let's be honest, even criminals are more likely to use lethal force against law enforcement if they think there is a good chance they're going to be killed. Yes, a handful are thoroughly insane or sufficiently sociopathic to just kill because they can or want to do so. Those tend to be the exception, rather than the norm.

I'm not advocating disarming the police. I am saying, it is not a foolish notion.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.