Author Topic: Cruz Admits to Spreading Ben Carson Rumor  (Read 16264 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Cruz Admits to Spreading Ben Carson Rumor
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2016, 08:12:31 PM »
If the "Carson quits" falsehood wasn't enough, how about Cruz sending out all those smarmy "voter violation" notices?

I'd like to like Cruz, I really would.

But ... I can't.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2016, 10:11:24 PM »
If the "Carson quits" falsehood wasn't enough, how about Cruz sending out all those smarmy "voter violation" notices?

I'd like to like Cruz, I really would.

But ... I can't.
http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/ted-cruzs-iowa-mailers-are-more-fraudulent-than-everyone-thinks
 :laugh: :laugh:
I had not even heard of that.  IMO, it is a weak.  

http://www.dailywire.com/news/3099/no-cruz-didnt-win-iowa-cheating-heres-why-trumps-ben-shapiro
Cruz refused to apologize, stating, “I will apologize to no one for using every tool we can to encourage Iowa voters to come out and vote.”
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2016, 10:26:02 PM »
IIRC, Jesus did a stint of flipping over tables and chasing people with a whip. 

No candidate is perfect.   Yet we've seen that the "Ben Carson is quitting" came from CNN.  The only problem that I see is that Ted Cruz's campaign was well organized enough to repeat/retweet that to the people on the ground rapidly (and apparently Rubio's did also)/

And the so-called "Smary Voter Violation Notice".  Even the liberal Washinggate Pest points only that several candidates have used that same thing over the years.   And it a get out the vote tool, in that it encouraged people to GO vote and caucus, NOT that they can't vote.   So I'm not seeing the problem with with it.   
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2016, 10:28:10 PM »

No candidate is perfect.   Yet we've seen that the "Ben Carson is quitting" came from CNN.  The only problem that I see is that Ted Cruz's campaign was well organized enough to repeat/retweet that to the people on the ground rapidly (and apparently Rubio's did also)/

And the so-called "Smary Voter Violation Notice".  Even the liberal Washinggate Pest points only that several candidates have used that same thing over the years.   And it a get out the vote tool, in that it encouraged people to GO vote and caucus, NOT that they can't vote.   So I'm not seeing the problem with with it.   

I got one in mail, I thought it was donkey dung also, but similar items have used just about every election cycle.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2016, 10:29:57 PM »
I got one in mail, I thought it was donkey dung also, but similar items have used just about every election cycle.
That is my thought.  I don't like it, but nothing to get bent out of shape over. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2016, 10:33:26 PM »
It seems like so many people here who are nominally conservative are looking for any reason to NOT vote for the most conservative/libertarian left in the race.   And then will spend the next four years complaining about the Clinton/Sanders administration.

I will admit that Ted Cruz ain't my 100% candidate, but he's at least 95fuckingpercent.  Which is about 70% more than any other currently...

And I be G_ddamned if I can understand why he's not getting more backing here...

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2016, 10:35:53 PM »

No candidate is perfect.   Yet we've seen that the "Ben Carson is quitting" came from CNN.  The only problem that I see is that Ted Cruz's campaign was well organized enough to repeat/retweet that to the people on the ground rapidly (and apparently Rubio's did also)/

And the so-called "Smary Voter Violation Notice".  Even the liberal Washinggate Pest points only that several candidates have used that same thing over the years.   And it a get out the vote tool, in that it encouraged people to GO vote and caucus, NOT that they can't vote.   So I'm not seeing the problem with with it.  
From what I am hearing, Rubio reporters spread the "Ben Carson is quitting" story first.  

Trump's tweets about the issue accusing Cruz of cheating were over the top.  I like the attitude Trump has brought to this election.  He certainly kept the media from focusing attacks on the other candidates for the last 9 months.  However, I think I would get a bit tired of him if he got elected.  (never mind that I believe he would be a fairly liberal President)

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2016, 10:37:29 PM »
http://www.mediaite.com/print/jeb-bush-has-to-tell-new-hampshire-crowd-please-clap/

This sad and a bit funny.  When you get support by claiming that you can win, and then you don't win, you don't look very good.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2016, 11:20:08 PM »

And I be G_ddamned if I can understand why he's not getting more backing here...

You know the feeling of i can't trust that person you get from random strangers? I've had that same feeling from the first time I heard Cruz speak. I can't get rid of it.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2016, 12:08:24 AM »
Funny, I get the exact opposite impression of Cruz.  So please go vote for Jeb! or Christie instead.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2016, 01:37:23 AM »
You know the feeling of i can't trust that person you get from random strangers? I've had that same feeling from the first time I heard Cruz speak. I can't get rid of it.

I guess it's this:
Here's a good article about him.

http://www.texasmonthly.com/politics/the-top-10-things-you-need-to-know-about-ted-cruz/

...ten months into a grueling campaign, under intense media scrutiny and while being attacked from all directions, Cruz has remained focused and unruffled. He’s hardly unhinged, quite the opposite. If anything, his preternatural self-possession is the most unsettling thing about him.

...between his intelligence and his verbal agility, Cruz is easily able to elide questions, or to answer them in a lawyerly, nuanced way. Such deftness can be a lifesaver for a politician who’s been put on the spot, and Cruz’s nuanced arguments are often quite interesting, but such answers can also seem like sophistry, and over time, have fueled suspicions that Cruz is a phony.

I saw him give a lengthy address, in person, if that matters. I didn't get any bad vibes, but I'm not a "vibes" kind of guy. Instead, I was listening to the content of his speech, which was on point.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2016, 07:37:51 AM »
Funny, I get the exact opposite impression of Cruz.  So please go vote for Jeb! or Christie instead.

I caucused for Rubio.

Uranus is a gas giant.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2016, 09:15:39 AM »
http://www.redstate.com/leon_h_wolf/2016/02/03/ben-carson-gets-hoisted-petard-isnt-pretty-video/

Another amusing point. Exchange from yesterday (summarized)

Carson: Cruz should be held accountable for the actions of his staff!

Press: Don't you have some responsibility for putting out such a poorly worded release?

Carson: Well, I didn't say it. You can't blame me for something my staff said.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2016, 10:10:28 AM »
http://www.redstate.com/leon_h_wolf/2016/02/03/ben-carson-gets-hoisted-petard-isnt-pretty-video/

Another amusing point. Exchange from yesterday (summarized)

Carson: Cruz should be held accountable for the actions of his staff!

Press: Don't you have some responsibility for putting out such a poorly worded release?

Carson: Well, I didn't say it. You can't blame me for something my staff said.

And that my friends is why Carson needs to be Sec. of HHS or something and NOT POTUS.  ;)
I promise not to duck.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2016, 10:19:21 AM »
And that my friends is why Carson needs to be Sec. of HHS or something and NOT POTUS.  ;)

Despite the contentiousness in the thread, that's one we can probably all agree on. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2016, 11:14:58 AM »
I will admit that Ted Cruz ain't my 100% candidate, but he's at least 95fuckingpercent.  Which is about 70% more than any other currently...

0. Note, I think Cruz is one sharp cookie.  He could have used some time in the service, preferably infantry, to knock some of AV smarty-pants geek stink off him.

OK, as to why...
1. Not the leader on stopping immivasion.  On the contrary, was vocally in support of H1B visas.  If immivasion is your top priority there is one and only one candidate for you.  Cruz did not have the courage to be the point man on this issue, but a "Yeah, me too!"

2. Literally in bed with and in hock to the establishment, but trying to act like a bomb thrower.  Good act, many times, I will admit.

3. Some of us recall how he treated middle eastern christians like dirt (you know, the ones being genocided in all the places we have disrupted since 2001) in favor of sucking up to the Israel lobby.  Screw him where he breathes if he won't put Christians lives and well-being before Israel's.

4. Two-faced social conservative, making noise about marriage and family while sucking up to NYC light in the loafers crowd and confirming to them socon issues are not a priority.  I expect him to make about as much progress on marriage, religious liberty, and life as the rest of the GOP did during GWB's administration.  Meaning: none, not even a token effort.

"But roo_ster, Trump is likely even more liberal / less socon than Cruz on those issues!"  True.
1. Immivasion uber alles.  We must turn around the ethnic swamping of this country with folk who do not share our values and can not maintain our institutions.  Cruz now makes the right noises.  So did McCain his last election.  And htere is the "wifey works for G-S and they owe G-S big bux."
2. See #1
3. See #1

I caucused for Rubio.

Maybe you can get a lap dance from Rubio for your efforts.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2016, 01:34:16 PM »
rooster, Trump was just smart enough to realize he could stand out and shoot to #1 in the polls by going against illegal immigration.  Do you think he will actually do all the stuff he is saying?  Has Trump commented on H1B visas himself?  

IMO, you like Trump for what he is saying now (as opposed to a year or two ago), not what he has done (what has he actually done?).  Yet you are dumping on Cruz based on a skewed perception of what he has done.  Well, my perception of what Trump has done is to raise money for Democrats, donate money to the Clinton slush fund, and support partial birth abortion.  I think you are deciding this solely on looks.  

Also, you need to start posting links for this stuff you say Cruz did.  The track record for anti-Cruz stuff is not so good right now.  I am already to the point of not believing it.  

I guess I am becoming a Cruz partisan.   =D

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2016, 04:22:10 PM »
rooster, Trump was just smart enough to realize he could stand out and shoot to #1 in the polls by going against illegal immigration.  Do you think he will actually do all the stuff he is saying?  Has Trump commented on H1B visas himself?  

IMO, you like Trump for what he is saying now (as opposed to a year or two ago), not what he has done (what has he actually done?).  Yet you are dumping on Cruz based on a skewed perception of what he has done.  Well, my perception of what Trump has done is to raise money for Democrats, donate money to the Clinton slush fund, and support partial birth abortion.  I think you are deciding this solely on looks.  

Also, you need to start posting links for this stuff you say Cruz did.  The track record for anti-Cruz stuff is not so good right now.  I am already to the point of not believing it.  

I guess I am becoming a Cruz partisan.   =D

Trump has been good on immigration for a long while.  Hell, he even read Ann Coulter's book on it.  Maybe his position and policy on his web site is just an opening bid on a deal.  Even so, it is more than Cruz was able to manage before Trump blazed hte trail.

My perception of Cruz is pretty straight-on.  Look at my pasts posts on the guy.  He does not get only barbs from me.

Yep, Trump gave Dems lotsa dough over the years.  I imagine he might have given some to GOPers in NYC.  Had htere been any GOPers in NYC to pay money to make things happen in NYC gov't.

=======================

Quote from: princess bride
You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line"!

And even less well-known(1) is this: "Never think roo_ster doesn't have an imperial buttload of data to back up his (supposedly) wilder posts."  How's about multiple sources for each claim?

Cruz sticking it to ME Christians

Ted Cruz Crashes Defense of Christians Summit
Last night Ted Cruz stood up to offer the keynote address to a room full of Middle Eastern Christians and their allies at a somber but celebratory gala dinner dedicated to Christian unity in the face of persecution and genocide. Soon thereafter he stalked off under a chorus of boos, with the senator declaring the room to be full of hate and saying, “If you will not stand with Israel and the Jews, then I will not stand with you.” ...

The plight of Christians in the Middle East has swept to the fore of public consciousness in recent weeks as ISIS and related organizations have systematically persecuted and murdered Christians, driving them from homes that date back to the very beginning of Christendom. The In Defense of Christians Summit was organized to bring together Christians of every sect and denomination to stand in solidarity with their persecuted brethren...

Ted Cruz, however, fractured that unity. Hours before his keynote yesterday, the Washington Free Beacon ran a customarily nuanced headline blaring, “Cruz Headlines Conference Featuring Hezbollah Supporters.” The story referenced several of the leading Middle Eastern Christian leaders present and their own remarks about their region’s politics, taking particular pains to note that Maronite Patriarch Cardinal Mar Bechara Boutros Raï has an open dialogue with Hezbollah, the Shi’ite Lebanese political party and State Department designated terrorist organization. Lebanon has a long history of inter-religious conflict and is split between Sunni, Shi’ite, and Christian communities. Many Christians in the region have either allied with or received shelter from Shi’ite Muslim communities in the face of radical Sunni organizations like al-Qaeda and ISIS...

When Cruz took the stage, however, after two days of declarations of Christian unity and recognition of the widespread persecution of peoples of all faiths, his remarks emphasized his devotion to the state of Israel. The crowd applauded faithfully as Cruz made the argument that ISIS, al-Qaeda, Hamas, and Hezbollah, as well as Syria and Iran, were all equal participants in genocidal bigotry. Cruz then transitioned. After saying, “Our purpose here tonight is to highlight a terrible injustice. A humanitarian crisis. Christians, are being systematically exterminated,” Cruz then turned to the 1948 formation of Israel, a sensitive subject for many Palestinian Christians, and declared that “today, Christians have no greater ally than the Jewish state.”

It was at that point that some in the audience objected to Cruz turning a celebration of Christian unity into a lecture on a divisive subject that many in the crowd experienced as part of their everyday lives. Cruz returned accusations of hatred...

As he continued to press the issue, however, the crowd increasingly urged him to “move on” and booed, leading him to lament those “consumed with hate” and depart...

In Defense of Christians executive director Andrew Doran later came to the stage to acknowledge the sensitivity of the Israel-Palestinian issue, but urged, “For the love of God, we’re here to talk about Christians and we’re here to be united.” When Cardinal Raï took the stage after the dinner, he related an old Lebanese saying, “At every wedding, there are a few wedding crashers,” ...

Ted Cruz Demonized Arab Christians Before He Liked Them
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/11/18/ted-cruz-demonized-arab-christians-before-he-liked-them.html
Just over a year after giving Middle Eastern Christians advice that could have put them in danger, Sen. Ted Cruz has announced Syrian Christian refugees are not a threat and should be first in line to enter the U.S...

The event’s organizers—who brought together a historic group of Christian leaders at a moment when their communities faced (and still face) genocide—weren’t impressed.

“He came to a summit in defense of Christians and actually endangered Christian lives,” said the group’s executive director, Andrew Doran, according to the National Catholic Register.

Doran noted to the paper that “standing with Israel”—as Cruz demanded that event attendees do—can make already-vulnerable Christians top targets for Islamist extremists. And in the case of the Syrian civil war, Christian bishops have pushed for their flocks to stay neutral. Middle Eastern geopolitics make for happy hour chit-chat in Washington; for Christians in that region, though, those stances are sometimes matters of life or death.

“People had come here trusting us not to put their lives in danger,” Doran continued to the paper. “People had come here for the sake of unity, and for politicians to take advantage of this for their own agenda is absolutely disgraceful.”

So while Cruz has apologized to conservative political pundits, he has never expressed remorse for demanding that attendees applaud Israel or for characterizing them as hateful bigots.

Ted Cruz Booed Off Stage At Middle East Christian Conference
http://dailycaller.com/2014/09/10/ted-cruz-booed-off-stage-at-middle-east-christian-conference-video/

IOW, Christians being murdered and under threat of genocide in the ME do not get even Cruz's vocal support if they do what is in their best interests, if that means they can't be cheerleaders for Israel.  Way to go Ted!

(1) "And even less well-known" could be read as, "Known to a half dozen people on the net, not counting the guy who self-identifies as a dog."

=======================

Cruz Throwing Social Conservatives Under the Bus

What Ted Cruz said behind closed doors
http://www.politico.com/story/2015/12/ted-cruz-gay-marriage-secret-audio-217090
In June, Ted Cruz promised on NPR that opposition to gay marriage would be “front and center” in his 2016 campaign.

In July, he said the Supreme Court’s decision allowing same-sex marriage was the “very definition of tyranny” and urged states to ignore the ruling.

But in December, behind closed doors at a big-dollar Manhattan fundraiser, the quickly ascending presidential candidate assured a Republican gay-rights supporter that a Cruz administration would not make fighting same-sex marriage a top priority.

In a recording provided to POLITICO, Cruz answers a flat “No” when asked whether fighting gay marriage is a “top-three priority,” an answer that pleased his socially moderate hosts but could surprise some of his evangelical backers.

Ted Cruz tells New York donors at fundraiser that gay marriage isn’t a top three priority
http://hotair.com/archives/2015/12/23/report-cruz-tells-new-york-donors-at-fundraiser-that-gay-marriage-isnt-a-top-three-priority/

Ted Cruz Is Guest of Two Gay Businessmen
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/24/us/politics/at-new-york-reception-ted-cruz-is-said-to-strike-different-tone-toward-gays.html

Ted Cruz Reportedly Tells Donors Fighting Gay Marriage Isn't A Top Priority
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/report-cruz-gay-marriage-not-priority

Cruz calls on the body of Christ for its support, meanwhile he kicks that body in the gut for 30 pieces of silver. 

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2016, 06:10:11 PM »
roo_rant

On the immigration issue, I guess you may be right. I don't know much about that issue. I also don't see Trump being especially trustworthy in general, so I don't put much stock in his position.

Just to clear the air, I view Israel as a secular state allied with us; nothing more.

On the issues of ME Christians and marriage, what do you expect from Trump that will be better than what you expect from Cruz? I don't understand what would make Trump better on these issues.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2016, 06:13:26 PM »

^^^

QFT
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2016, 06:18:28 PM »
I'm so glad to hear that people are not supporting Cruz due to their feels.  =|

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2016, 06:49:17 PM »
Let's say that Cruz himself said that Carson was out, ummm... so what? ???
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2016, 07:09:16 PM »
You know the feeling of i can't trust that person you get from random strangers? I've had that same feeling from the first time I heard Cruz speak every politician ever. I can't get rid of it.

Fixed.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2016, 07:41:18 PM »
Let's post exactly what Cruz said regarding Gay Marriage:

Cruz: “My view on gay marriage is that I’m a constitutionalist and marriage is a question for the states. And so I think if someone wants to change the marriage laws of their state, the way to do so is convince your fellow citizens — and change them democratically, rather than five unelected judges. … Being a constitutionalist is integral to my approach to every other issue. So that I’m very devoted to.”

Same questioner: “So would you say it’s like a top-three priority for you — fighting gay marriage?”

Cruz: “No. I would say defending the Constitution is a top priority. And that cuts across the whole spectrum — whether it’s defending [the] First Amendment, defending religious liberty, stopping courts from making public policy issues that are left to the people. …

“I also think the 10th Amendment of the Constitution cuts across a whole lot of issues and can bring people together. People of New York may well resolve the marriage question differently than the people of Florida or Texas or Ohio. … That’s why we have 50 states — to allow a diversity of views. And so that is a core commitment.”
- http://hotair.com/archives/2015/12/23/report-cruz-tells-new-york-donors-at-fundraiser-that-gay-marriage-isnt-a-top-three-priority/

The dinner and “fireside chat” for about a dozen people with Mr. Cruz and his wife, Heidi, was at the Central Park South penthouse of Mati Weiderpass and Ian Reisner, longtime business partners who were once a couple and who have been pioneers in the gay hospitality industry.

“Ted Cruz said, ‘If one of my daughters was gay, I would love them just as much,’” recalled Mr. Reisner, a same-sex marriage proponent who described himself as simply an attendee at Mr. Weiderpass’s event.
- http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/24/us/politics/at-new-york-reception-ted-cruz-is-said-to-strike-different-tone-toward-gays.html

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/report-cruz-gay-marriage-not-priority  Simply re-quotes the same as #1 above.

And from the little I know of Christianity, I don't recall Jesus stoning gays.  I do recall loving your neighbor, forgiving the sinner. 

And I know that Ted Cruz is a Constitutionalist.  Marriage as he has repeatedly stated is a matter for the states and not the Feds.   He's almost smart enough to realize that we lost that battle.  Perhaps, just for now, maybe later we can come back and begin to fight it again.  But right now, with the Supreme Court ruling the ONLY way to change it is an Amendment.  And there's not enough people to push that through the states, much less Congress.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2016, 09:32:46 PM »
I just realized who Cruz reminds me of, a less animated version of the disgraced televangelist Robert Tilton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVjSui1Kuck

Uranus is a gas giant.