Author Topic: How people slept in the past  (Read 529 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
How people slept in the past
« on: December 23, 2022, 09:24:59 PM »
And by that I mean not in what kind of bed etc... but when.
Interesting if true how breaking up our sleep into two separate shifts changed with the industrial revolution into one long sleep shift.
The writer notes how people separated from modern lighting and clocks often start up the habit again

For millennia, people slept in two shifts – once in the evening, and once in the morning. But why? And how did the habit disappear?
https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20220107-the-lost-medieval-habit-of-biphasic-sleep
« Last Edit: December 25, 2022, 08:17:04 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: How people slept in the past
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2022, 09:43:28 PM »
I know I have seen articles on this before. Did we discuss it here, maybe six months or a year ago?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2022, 11:19:58 PM »
I know I have seen articles on this before. Did we discuss it here, maybe six months or a year ago?

I remember this, too.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2022, 08:06:02 AM »

More like ten years ago (or more).  =)

I remember finding it interesting, because you would think that to be a schedule that would develop with technology. I mean, I get up around 0500, and this time of the year, it doesn't get light until after 0800 here. I don't know what I'd be doing for those three hours without electricity, good lighting and modern climate control.

I understand getting up for a little while in the middle of night to stoke the fire and do other things you might have to do pre-modern conveniences.

people would tend to ordinary tasks, such as adding wood to the fire, taking remedies, or going to urinate (often into the fire itself).

That last part must have been a little hard on the women.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2022, 08:55:34 AM »
What a drift that remark will cause.

I've grooved into that two (or three) sleep period pattern since I retired.

Back in my between high school and college days I had a two-week opportunity for ad lib. sleeping and eating and found myself falling into that pattern, but not completely.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2022, 10:27:39 AM »
When I was younger, if nothing else was going on, I'd find myself going for 24 hours, crashing for 8-10 hours, and then doing it again.
Blog under construction

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2022, 10:56:36 AM »
What a drift that remark will cause.

I've grooved into that two (or three) sleep period pattern since I retired.

Back in my between high school and college days I had a two-week opportunity for ad lib. sleeping and eating and found myself falling into that pattern, but not completely.

One of the reasons I'm going to half time is to let my sleep schedule float a bit and try to be able to get enough sleep.  Because I'm just not now.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2022, 04:06:38 PM »
i get up on saturday at ten or 11 so i do not have to turn on the heat - i turn the heat on at 0330 during the week and turn it off at 0445 and leave for work 0500. 

if left to natural inclinations i would go to bed at midnight and get up at nine most days - especially in the summer .

I think sleep habits changed with industrialization
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

grampster

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2022, 06:46:30 PM »
Sleep habits change when one retires as well.  I nap usually for a couple hours in the afternoon...might even split it up into a couple hour long naps.  I usually go to bed at night between 10 and 12, but there are times I just start nodding off around 8 or so, and I head off to the creeper around 8:30 or 9PM.  I rarely get up before 8AM except to pee or get a drink of water.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2022, 06:40:28 PM »

if left to natural inclinations i would go to bed at midnight and get up at nine most days - especially in the summer .

That's what I end up doing on (my) Fri & Sat nights.  Up until midnight, sleep until 0800 or so.

In the '80's I was working the graveyard shift (midnight to 0800) and racing.  I'd often be up for 24 to 36 hours at a stretch, wrenching & racing.  No way I could do that now....

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2022, 10:42:58 PM »
Seems like I recall us talking about this subject, but the premise wasn't "two shifts", it was just that people would wake up for a bit in the middle of night.  Someone mentioned older prayer books specifically for reciting during this period. 

I wonder if this would change depending on what time of year it was.  Nights are long in the Winter, but a bit shorter during the summer. 

I seem to remember people doing experiments where people would stay down in an underground chamber for a some months.  Apparently, their sleeping patterns would drift away from the normal day night cycle.  Sometimes staying up for fairly long periods. 
β€œIt is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2022, 06:22:59 PM »
seem to remember people doing experiments where people would stay down in an underground chamber for a some months.  Apparently, their sleeping patterns would drift away from the normal day night cycle.  Sometimes staying up for fairly long periods.

You really want to destroy your natural circadian rhythm?
Try months on end submerged on a submarine living an 18 hour days for years on end, 6 on 12 off with no daylight for 90 days at a time (my personal longest was only 89 days).
30+ years with that in my rear view mirror and I still have issues.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams