Author Topic: ACLU takes open carry case ( the philly one )  (Read 4234 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
ACLU takes open carry case ( the philly one )
« on: February 17, 2012, 01:25:42 AM »
I believe its snowing in Hades
http://blogs.philadelphiaweekly.com/phillynow/2012/02/14/aclu-sues-city-of-philadelphia-on-behalf-of-gun-rights-activist/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=aclu-sues-city-of-philadelphia-on-behalf-of-gun-rights-activist

Truly a strange turn of events, I guess me telling the folks raising $$ for the ACLU that I can't contribute due to anti 2A stance has finally worked ( lol, didn't tell em I was broke too )
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: ACLU takes open carry case ( the philly one )
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 01:34:02 AM »

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 07:38:20 AM »
I'm flabbergasted.  The next thing I'm expecting to see is pigs flying and it not be fistful's fault.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 07:41:42 AM »
False flag operation? Make such a lousy presentation of the case that open carry gets gutted, for the sake of the children of course.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 08:12:02 AM »
they sent a black lawyer to va to defend a guy for a cross burning. a very good lawyer who was sucessful
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 08:16:04 AM »
they sent a black lawyer to va to defend a guy for a cross burning. a very good lawyer who was sucessful

You can defend freedom and have lulz.  They are not mutually exclusive.
 =D
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 08:58:40 AM »
Frankly, it may all be a result of the Heller decision.  Prior to Heller, the prevailing theory among legal scholars was that 2A was a collective right, not an individual right.  Never agreed with that theory personally, but every Constitutional law professor I've come across in my career has held that position.  After Heller, the Supreme Court has expressly held that it is an individual right.  The ACLU has long held themselves out as being the one true defender of individual Constitutional rights.  Heller dropped 2A in their laps.  Glad to see they have (at least in this instance) been true to their stated mission, regardless of conservative/liberal or right/left politics.  What I would be interested to see is how their liberal base responds to this stance on 2A...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 09:26:13 AM »
Disregard that last post from me.  I just jumped onto the ACLU page, and see that they are still advocating that 2A is a collective right, and that some restrictions on types or firearms are appropriate.  Oh well, can't change a leopards spots, can you?
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 09:35:55 AM »
Given the ACLU considers welfare & such a "right," I am not overly confident in their judgment.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 10:46:50 AM »
I think the organization is aware of the increasing disdain in which they are held, and their slide into irrelevance. This case offers them a chance to possibly recoup some credibility, given the cultural shift on gun rights.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 01:07:08 PM »
I think the organization is aware of the increasing disdain in which they are held, and their slide into irrelevance. This case offers them a chance to possibly recoup some credibility, given the cultural shift on gun rights.

As long as they aren't an one hit wonder.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 06:40:07 PM »
State ACLU chapters often have different policies than the ACLU as a whole. For instance, the TX ACLU is fairly pro-gun.

Could be the case here.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 08:43:26 PM »
State ACLU chapters often have different policies than the ACLU as a whole. For instance, the TX ACLU is fairly pro-gun.

Could be the case here.

This....but having a state ACLU aboard is a good thing....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2012, 04:35:00 AM »
I'm surprised that the tape survived.  I heard several mentions of recording, so the LEOs knew about it, unless they were referring to the dash cams.

Real easy to have a recorder slide off a car hood or roof and get run over or stepped upon accidentally.

I'm also mildy surprised that a Sergeant did not know about the Directive.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 04:44:12 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2012, 12:11:16 PM »
I'm surprised that the tape survived.  I heard several mentions of recording, so the LEOs knew about it, unless they were referring to the dash cams.

Real easy to have a recorder slide off a car hood or roof and get run over or stepped upon accidentally.

I'm also mildy surprised that a Sergeant did not know about the Directive.

If this is the case I'm remembering, the digital recorder was "accidentally" dropped and stepped on. Repeatedly. It's just that the "accidents" failed to destroy it.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2012, 11:33:53 AM »
You suppose maybe the ACLU wants to actually lose the case? 

Just a nagging thought I was afraid to express at first.

<Terry runs and hides>

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 11:38:28 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.