Author Topic: DVR Software?  (Read 2258 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
DVR Software?
« on: June 16, 2009, 01:15:19 PM »
I've got a computer in my living room with an ATI TV Wonder dual tuner HD card, hooked to a HD TV antenna. 

Call me ornery, but I don't want cable right now.

The ATI software annoys me, though. 

-When it records, I cannot watch a different recording. 

-When it records, it monopolizes the main audio output channel of the computer so that if I fire up Windows Media Player to watch something else, I hear two audio channels... that of the recording TV as well as that of the WMP video. 

-The volume control for the software controls the main system volume, rather than just the volume of the application.  In contrast, if you adjust the volume slider of a Youtube video or a WMP video... it only adjusts volume for that application.

-The "fast forward" feature has 3 speeds:  1.2x, 1,4x, and 2x.  Srsly, WTF?  Why on earth would I go through the trouble of hitting fast forward if I only wanted to go 1.2x the speed?  I want to get past commercials, you idgit.  Gimme 2x, 4x, 8x, 16x, 32x et cetera so I can skip commercials in a sensible manner, and find where I was when I stopped watching a movie or show partway thru.  A 30 second jump button would be nice, too, just for commercial hopping.

-The remote has a "rewind" button... but they neglected to program that into the software.  Unresponsive.  Does nothing.  Have to use the mouse, then click on the track progress bar and guess where I want to go.

-Doesn't pause and buffer live TV.

A friend of mine has a DISH DVR dual tuner box that can:
-record on one tuner while you watch something else on the other tuner;
-watch a pre-recorded show while recording two other shows on the dual tuners.
-has fast forward to 300x and a preprogrammed 30 second jump button.  Oh, yeah, and the rewind button works too.
-pauses and buffers live TV up to two hours.

All in all, the ATI Catalyst Media Center software:  Major case of FAIL.

Can anyone tell me about a different media center suite for a PC with a TV tuner card?  Will Linux come to my rescue with a more functional media center suite than this thing?  I'm willing to actually spend money for a Windows based one that doesn't suck...
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: DVR Software?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 01:29:50 PM »
Anyone using Snapstream's Beyond TV?  This stuff looks pretty darn cool.

http://www.snapstream.com/products/beyondtv/
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 01:31:13 PM »
I've got the older version of that tuner card, and used to use the ATI Catalyst TV software to record Deadliest Catch while I was away from home.

I currently use InterVideo WinDVR 3 for that purpose, but I *think* they've since discontinued it.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 07:06:13 PM »
I use Windows Media Center. It does a very good job. It's easy to set up and use and doesn't have any of the problems you listed. The downside is that if you don't already have a copy built into windows, it can be pretty expensive since you have to buy a copy of windows to get it.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 04:59:50 PM »
I've got a Win XP MCE license that I'm going to try out on this PC and see if it eliminates the gaps in the ATI software.  Got any pointers, Racehorse (or anyone else)?

Does MCE write some DRM into the recorded TV so I can't copy it to a laptop or PDA (My Dell Axim is a beefy little PDA that plays movies and such just fine.  Nice on airplanes and stuff)?
--Lysander Spooner

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 05:27:04 PM »
No pointers. If I remember right, you have to reinstall windows to get media center on there, which is a pain. The setup is very simple assuming MCE recognizes your TV tuner. If your tuner is a fairly common model, it should be recognized fine.

MCE does have DRM. The quote below outlines the specifics. Basically, you have to burn a DVD to be able to watch the files on another computer.

Some information on DRM can be found here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/evaluation/faq.mspx#Playback

Can I watch copy-protected recorded TV files on another PC?
Protected files can be watched only on the Media Center PC that originally recorded the content.
Can I watch unprotected recorded TV files on another PC?
Yes, as long as that PC can play DVR-MS files, either through Media Center or an updated Microsoft DirectShow player such as Microsoft Windows Media Player 10. Watch what you want when you want.
Can I play back copy-protected recorded TV files on the same Media Center PC by using Windows Media Player 10 or other applications that work with DirectShow?
Protected files can be watched only through Media Center on the Media Center PC that originally recorded the content.
Can I burn DVDs to watch using a dedicated DVD player?
Yes. Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 includes built-in support for burning video and data DVDs from photos, music, video, and TV content on a wide range of media types and formats. DVDs can be burned in one of the following formats:

Data DVD: Designed for storing files on disc, such as creating a backup of music or photos.
Video DVD: Designed for converting recorded TV or home movies into video for playback on most home DVD players.
DVD slide show: Designed for creating a slide show with pictures and music for playback on consumer DVD players and computers equipped with DVD players.
In addition, you can continue to use your Media Center PC normally while you burn DVDs in the background.

Aside from that, it's very straightforward and easy to use.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 06:26:17 PM »
How does it differentiate between copy-protected recorded TV and non copy-protected recorded TV?
--Lysander Spooner

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 09:54:14 PM »
I believe there's a "broadcast flag" set by the content provider (the cable company or network, etc.) that controls it. From what I remember, it isn't used for most shows.