Author Topic: The Mustafa Space Drive  (Read 2397 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
The Mustafa Space Drive
« on: July 23, 2012, 04:09:55 PM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: The Mustafa Space Drive
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 04:17:47 PM »
Kick ass "free lunch" way to use the Casimir effect to get a tiny push for stationkeeping or small but cumulative course corrections.

Girl needs a job at JPL or something STAT.

I promise not to duck.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 04:19:30 PM »
That is cool.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 04:31:07 PM »
I will be impressed when this is built and works.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 04:50:08 PM »
I will be impressed when this is built and works.

That's what they told Zephram Cochrane.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 04:54:54 PM »
Another success story for women's education under Sharia law.....oh, wait....

Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 06:52:59 PM »
That's what they told Zephram Cochrane.

=D

Gotta love tech stories so innovative they have to use a picture of a completely different technology at the top of the page.  =)
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 09:21:42 PM »
=D

Gotta love tech stories so innovative they have to use a picture of a completely different technology at the top of the page.  =)

A pair of angled Casimir plates just wouldn't have the same visual appeal, even for scientist-like-types, much less 'reglar folk.
I promise not to duck.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 01:36:33 AM »
Instead the universe's supposedly empty spaces are filled with a roiling sea of particles and anti-particles that pop into existence, then annihilate each other in such a short space of time that you can't readily detect them.

Anything related to dark matter or dark energy is met with my extreme skepticism... I'll believe it when we encounter it, and not before.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 02:00:56 AM »
Anything related to dark matter or dark energy is met with my extreme skepticism... I'll believe it when we encounter it, and not before.

It's been predicted since about 5000 BC, even by the pre-Buddhist Aryans of the Indus civilization of western India.  The sanskrit word "Tamas" means "dark inertia" and has significant metaphysical properties in a well defined primitive physics that predates our modern perspective with its advanced instrumentation.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 04:07:47 AM »
It's been predicted since about 5000 BC, even by the pre-Buddhist Aryans of the Indus civilization of western India.  The sanskrit word "Tamas" means "dark inertia" and has significant metaphysical properties in a well defined primitive physics that predates our modern perspective with its advanced instrumentation.

I'm not sure Hindu philosophy is in any way a form of physics
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 05:05:10 AM »
Any technology sufficiently advanced from your own is indistinguishable from magic.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, 08:42:43 AM »
There are other patented - patented! - ways of propelling a spacecraft.

A small sampling:

US Patent 5,058,833  "A spaceship is provided with a freely spinning propeller mounted on the front end. The propeller significantly reduces resistance to flight and also deflects space particles which might otherwise slow the craft. The sides of the spacecraft have ridges which are coated on the front side with radiation reflecting material and on the back side with radiation absorbing material. The resultant force of radiations being absorbed from the rear and reflected from the front propels the spacecraft forward."

US Patent 6,960,975 "A space vehicle propelled by the pressure of inflationary vacuum state is provided comprising a hollow superconductive shield, an inner shield, a power source, a support structure, upper and lower means for generating an electromagnetic field, and a flux modulation controller. A cooled hollow superconductive shield is energized by an electromagnetic field resulting in the quantized vortices of lattice ions projecting a gravitomagnetic field that forms a spacetime curvature anomaly outside the space vehicle. The spacetime curvature imbalance, the spacetime curvature being the same as gravity, provides for the space vehicle's propulsion. The space vehicle, surrounded by the spacetime anomaly, may move at a speed approaching the light-speed characteristic for the modified locale."

Hopefully the inventors will find the financing to reduce their inventions to practice before their patent protection expires. Here's an opportunity for YOU if that old 401(k) just isn't giving you the return you'd like.

Any takers?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2012, 10:12:11 AM »

Uh, the quantum foam has been observed. Many times.

Casimir plate assemblies are pushed together because there's always more of this virtual particle foam outside the plates, than between them, repeatable in labs all over the world.

Many other kinds of physics experiments have to account for the "static" they pick up from the quantum virtual particle pairs. It's very real.  The quantum foam might be related to dark energy accelerating the expansion of the universe, or not, that's not yet known. However, we know dark matter exists, because of it's gravitational influences on observed stellar and galactic movements. And it's not sufficient to shrug your shoulders and say "maybe what we think we know about how space works is wrong" etc. because all of the Relativity/Einstein experiments have been verified every time we try them, or observe for their effects on intergalactic scale.
I promise not to duck.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2012, 10:48:41 PM »
Well, you caught me speaking outside of my ken, so I'll take my lumps.  Perhaps I should have simply pointed out that there is still debate going on about the amount/dispersion of dark matter in the universe.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2012, 11:24:52 PM »
We haven't seen Middle Eastern aerospace tech like this since the flying carpet.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2012, 01:15:49 AM »
Well, you caught me speaking outside of my ken, so I'll take my lumps.  Perhaps I should have simply pointed out that there is still debate going on about the amount/dispersion of dark matter in the universe.

Uh... sorry,  =D

...actually the ammounts and where it is is also pretty well known. (well, how to map it is well understood. Although it's time consuming) Measuring galactic rotations and stellar densities in the closer galaxies, they can do the math as to how much extra dark matter mass must be surrounding it for the galaxy to spin and hold the shape it does. Further out, measuring the gravitational lensing of light from even more distant galaxies being bent by mass between them and us provides more data.

http://astroprofspage.com/archives/598

Just what the hell dark matter actually is, is really the big mystery.  =|

Some sort of massive particle that adds gravitational attraction to a galaxy, but doesn't interact with anything else is just weird. As I typed it and you read it, trillions might have passed right through our bodies from different directions.

Finding neutrinos which have almost no mass, and takes a cave full of fluid miles underground, and tons of sensitive equipment to detect the microscopic flash when one out of trillions hits an atom is trivially easy by comparison. If these even are particles.
I promise not to duck.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2012, 01:27:01 PM »
Yes, I am familiar with neutrinos and some of their properties.  In fact, the main form of scanning technology in my sci-fi writing uses quantum entangled neutrino pairs, and expands upon them with graceful technobabble.

I tend to research astronomy and physics only as the subjects are relevant to my writing.  This is a terrible approach, I realize, but it also allows me to focus on that information that I can use to enhance the science side of my fiction.  So I can play with ideas like quantum entanglement, neutron diffraction, cold fusion, and the like, without ever achieving a firm grasp of, well, anything. 

As long as I don't posit a theoretical technology that is simply impossible by already established fact, I think I can get away with it.  No matter how close to plausible I might come, there will always be a suspension of disbelief required from the reader.  After all, FTL technology is still just a feverish dream at this point.

I have not researched dark matter because I haven't thought of a way it might be relevant to my writing.  If I decide that the protagonists run into a race of beings that use Casimir plate-related technology, for example, then I'll be compelled to learn about it instead of just making offhand comments online.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2012, 01:29:25 PM »
PAGING BIRDMAN!
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2012, 02:32:23 PM »
Yes, I am familiar with neutrinos and some of their properties.  In fact, the main form of scanning technology in my sci-fi writing uses quantum entangled neutrino pairs, and expands upon them with graceful technobabble.

I tend to research astronomy and physics only as the subjects are relevant to my writing.  This is a terrible approach, I realize, but it also allows me to focus on that information that I can use to enhance the science side of my fiction.  So I can play with ideas like quantum entanglement, neutron diffraction, cold fusion, and the like, without ever achieving a firm grasp of, well, anything. 

As long as I don't posit a theoretical technology that is simply impossible by already established fact, I think I can get away with it.  No matter how close to plausible I might come, there will always be a suspension of disbelief required from the reader.  After all, FTL technology is still just a feverish dream at this point.

I have not researched dark matter because I haven't thought of a way it might be relevant to my writing.  If I decide that the protagonists run into a race of beings that use Casimir plate-related technology, for example, then I'll be compelled to learn about it instead of just making offhand comments online.

Umm... How about an ancient high technology relic that was coasting around the galaxy. Characters find evidence (dead planet around a pulsar/supernova remnant.. whatever that launched it, ) and then go looking for this relic. Then there's the issue of accounting for dark matter that adds mass to the galactic halo, then gravity, and being able to find the relic, or not find it because of that? 
I promise not to duck.