Author Topic: The movie "Taken 2"  (Read 3359 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
The movie "Taken 2"
« on: February 20, 2013, 05:55:49 PM »
The first movie "Taken" wasn't exactly haute cinema, but it was entertaining.

The sequel, "Taken 2", has a few improvements, but more areas where it doesn't live up to the first.

The first improvement is the job by the actress who plays the daughter. In the first movie the 20-something actress played a 17 year-old girl who acted like she was twelve. In the sequel, she's matured.

The second improvement is that it doesn't take twenty minutes of schmalz to get to the action. The bad guys are starting from the very beginning.

The movie has plenty of action, but just doesn't seem to have as gripping a plot (if that's possible). Plenty of martial arts stuff that's seems impossible for someone that age to pull off.

My favorite part of the movie is at the very beginning. Brian Mills (Liam Neeson) is at a car wash. He's polishing his car by hand. An attendant comes out and explains that the polish is part of the wash package, to which Mills replies that he's doing it himself because he's very picky about it. In the next scene, he pulls his shiny car up to his ex-wife's house, and parks it under a tree. A sap-dripping tree. Makes sense to me.

It's still good mindless entertainment, though.

T.O.M.

• friend
Re: The movie "Taken 2"
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 06:26:11 PM »
If you're looking for a film that requires no thought, I recommend "Man on Fire" with Denzel Washington.  Fun little revenge shoot 'em up flick.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 07:32:40 PM »
I've watched that several times.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 07:55:42 PM »
If you're looking for a film that requires no thought, I recommend "Man on Fire" with Denzel Washington.  Fun little revenge shoot 'em up flick.
Arnie's "Commando" tops that for sheer unrealistic mayhem, leavened with Austrian-accented humor . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 09:21:44 AM »
taken 1 was a good flick.  perhaps i was more vested in the plot being a father of 2 girls.  i haven't seen the sequel, but it is on the list. 
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 09:36:36 AM »

The sequel, "Taken 2", has a few improvements, but more areas where it doesn't live up to the first.

The first Taken movie was a bit unnerving because I'm personally aware of such activities taking place. My Albanian was still quite good enough to peg the bad guys and roughly understand them. Their accent was Tirana (ie "city guys"), not Kosovar or country.

A good friend of mine shortly after went on a trip to see Europe's mass graves. Her father had passed away a couple years before. Actually, I was in Basic at the time and someone low crawled 200 meters to my foxhole to deliver me the letter. Basically, the Nazis killed him. He survived the camps in Poland as a kid, but with permanent health problems. She wanted to see those camps. And the various mass graves in the Balkans.

I pulled every string and burned every favor I had in my stockpile. Clever girl, she waited until she was in the Czech Republic before letting me know she was on the trip. Otherwise, I would have had the Bundeswehr meet her at her landing in Frankfort, give her flowers and bottles of wine, and then give her the best first class seat Lufthansa had on her way back to the US. And I swear, they would have done it or I'd have flown to Germany to express my displeasure in person. In reality, it wouldn't have been a problem. Most of my Bundeswehr buddies knew what the Balkans were like, I met them there, and clubbing them over the head with "Your father's generation killed her father, time to make amends" would probably have just been cruel.

Poland wasn't a problem. We had a Polish-Ukranian battalion directly attached to our task force, so that wasn't a problem. The rest of the countries... Yea. Every miserable tiny friggin Balkan country, I had to beg, threaten or cash in chits. And oddly enough, I did call a couple old Albanian businessmen. And explain to them that I was a good friend. If they wanted it to stay that way, they'd do what I say. Or I'd burn their crappy little wannabe "country" to the ground. Less Liam Neeson epic speech. More like "You still living in that crap apartment in Gnjilane? Yes? Do this, or I come back and kill your entire clan. Yes, even your retarded cousin that I KNOW is paying for those German stolen cars in heroin. Oh, and I'd start dating your hawt niece."

Oddly enough, her trip was fairly uneventful.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 09:37:59 AM »
taken 1 was a good flick.  perhaps i was more vested in the plot being a father of 2 girls.  i haven't seen the sequel, but it is on the list.  

Precisely. The plot of Taken is FAR more gripping when you're the father of a daughter.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

brimic

• friends
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 01:26:15 PM »
Hehe, I like that the Albanians were the bad guys.
I work with an Albanian immigrant who has a far more cynical outlook on society than even I do. To him there is a scam or an organized crime syndicate involved in everything- its the way it was where he grew up.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 02:28:23 AM »
The first improvement is the job by the actress who plays the daughter. In the first movie the 20-something actress played a 17 year-old girl who acted like she was twelve. In the sequel, she's matured.
The second improvement is that it doesn't take twenty minutes of schmalz to get to the action. The bad guys are starting from the very beginning.
The movie has plenty of action, but just doesn't seem to have as gripping a plot (if that's possible). Plenty of martial arts stuff that's seems impossible for someone that age to pull off.
My favorite part of the movie is at the very beginning. Brian Mills (Liam Neeson) is at a car wash. He's polishing his car by hand. An attendant comes out and explains that the polish is part of the wash package, to which Mills replies that he's doing it himself because he's very picky about it. In the next scene, he pulls his shiny car up to his ex-wife's house, and parks it under a tree. A sap-dripping tree. Makes sense to me.
It's still good mindless entertainment, though.

LOL,  my dad is in his 50s, and is only about 5'10".

I'm 6'3" and even when I was in peak shape, he could still toss me around with minimal effort.  And he's not even a 1337 OPERATOR,  he's just an old school Judoka

brimic

• friends
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 06:43:17 AM »
LOL,  my dad is in his 50s, and is only about 5'10".

I'm 6'3" and even when I was in peak shape, he could still toss me around with minimal effort.  And he's not even a 1337 OPERATOR,  he's just an old school Judoka
20 years or so ago when i was in college and learning shotokan there was a 70ish year old5th dan who was a total freak and worked us 20 year ols into the ground. He had rediculous speed flexibility and cardiovascular endurance.

Barack Obama

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 10:48:44 AM »
20 years or so ago when i was in college and learning shotokan there was a 70ish year old5th dan who was a total freak and worked us 20 year ols into the ground. He had rediculous speed flexibility and cardiovascular endurance.

Reminds me of a couple stories Dad has told me...  Growing up, he went with a friend to see a Judo (possibli Jiu-Jitsu) demonstration...  There was this little old guy (the way he describes it, the guy looked like Yoda) who was the highest rank there...   He did a demonstration with one of the younger guys...  Young guy had a sword, old guy told him to take a swing at him...   So he went for the old guys legs with the sword....  And according to Dad, it really looked like he was seriously trying to take this little old guy off at the knees...  There's a flurry of movement, a few slapping sounds and grunts, and the next thing Dad sees is the young guy exiting stage left on a ballistic trajectory, and the old guy is using the sword as a cane, leaning on it... 

The other story he tells involves a friend of his (who actually got him in to see the above demonstration)...   Well, this friend was actually Brazil's national Judo champ the previous year.  Well, Dad's buddy was married to a very gorgeous woman...  They were out on a double date, and some apparently very drunk guys started hitting on buddy's wife... IIRC, five of them...   The Maitre d' came up to them several times, told them to knock it off, and got to the point of threatening to kick them out before they settled down....  For about 5 minutes...  And then sure enough, started getting really nasty...   Buddy tells Mom, Dad, and his wife to head out to the car, and he'll meet them out there in a few minutes, once he gets the bill settled....

They head out to the car, 5 minutes go by, 10 minutes, and Dad's starting to get worried...  So he heads back in, just in time to watch one of the guys bounce off the 10 foot ceiling and land on a table...  The others are all strewn about the room, mostly unconscious...  Turns out that they were rather upset that the object of their affection had left, and decided to try to jump Dad's buddy...  I think between the 5 guys they had 4 broken arms, 3 broken legs, and multiple broken ribs...  He offered to pay for the damages to the restaurant, but the manager heard the story from the maitre d' and said he'd hold the drunks that tried to jump him responsible for damages...
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 11:33:02 AM »
Precisely. The plot of Taken is FAR more gripping when you're the father of a daughter.

I have two sons, and from what I know of the realities of the forced sex trade from actual cases that have passed through my court in the middle of Ohio, the danger is there to young boys as well.  Not as great as it is for females through age 20-25, but there's money to be made on young boys as well.  Damn them all for doing this to boys are girls.  There near the top of my list for deserving real justice, and not the kind that comes in a courtroom.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 02:46:32 PM »
I have two sons, and from what I know of the realities of the forced sex trade from actual cases that have passed through my court in the middle of Ohio, the danger is there to young boys as well.  Not as great as it is for females through age 20-25, but there's money to be made on young boys as well.  Damn them all for doing this to boys are girls.  There near the top of my list for deserving real justice, and not the kind that comes in a courtroom.

The sex slave market is global. And more pervasive than you'd think. Ask any magistrate handing juvvie court. Sometimes it's just informal pimping the kids out for drug money. Sometimes it's an organized multinational syndicate. Biggest markets are from Russia, originally but now with Eastern European feeder networks, to the rest of Europe plus high value specialties to the rest of the world. Second is Fillipino and Indonesian as the "bargain" slave network. Source of cheap slaves especially for the Middle East, but through Asia as well.

A lot of defense contractors get in on the action, at the low level. DynCorp employees were well known in the Balkans for purchasing and abusing minor children. The US government wrangled them basically civil immunity, along with most other defense contractors. And US military isn't allowed to arrest them either, usually. Otherwise, a lot of well paid contractors, rolling in fraud and slaves, would have been lined up against the wall and shot. When it comes to billions in graft and fraud... Who cares if some 13 year old Russian girl gets used as a play thing by valued employees GETTING you that graft and fraud?

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2013, 03:22:01 PM »
Rev,  I guess I'm one of those magistrates.  Had a case about 2 years ago that opened my eyes big time. 15 year old girl went to a party with a friend.  Older guy started hitting on her.  She's flattered that a 21 year old is interested in her.  He talks her into a walk outside, gives her a drink.  Within minutes, she starts feeling bad.  He takes her home, to his home, where she keeps getting worse, really sick and vomiting almost non-stop.  he calls a doctor, who gives her a shot and she feels great, but really numb and sleepy.  he tells her he used her phone to call her parents and she's good to stay with him until she feels good enough to go home.  Next morning, gets her some juice, and it starts again, followed by another shot.  Long story short, he was putting ipicac in her drinks, and the "doc" was shooting her with heroin.  Within days, she's hooked.  Guy uses her contact information to get family photos, and basically says "you work for me or I get your little sister to do the job after we kill your parents."  Tattoos her name on her back.  Starts selling her.  Keeps her on the heroin enough to keep her compliant.  When he thought after two months he owned her, he sent her out to buy snacks and coke.  After she buys the dope, she goes in a grocery store and sees a cop.  She goes to the cop and confesses possession, and on station tells him the whole story, down to the tattoo.  He finds her name on the missing child list.  She gets locked up, for her own safety, and brought into my court, where we were able to get her into a rehab program with sexual abuse counseling, and also reunite her with her parents.  Even found a doc who was willing to do the tattoo removal for free.

So, yeah, I hate these dirtbags, and they should all die the lingering and painful deaths they've earned.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

brimic

• friends
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2013, 04:35:26 PM »
  Guy uses her contact information to get family photos, and basically says "you work for me or I get your little sister to do the job after we kill your parents."

I already tell my kids that if anyone says they'll "kill their parents" that its ok, Daddy has a real mean streak for monsters and bad people, so call their bluff.

Barack Obama

Crow1108

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2013, 11:39:14 AM »
You guys need to see "The Man From Nowhere." Kind of a Korean version of Taken. Along the same lines as taken, but much more engaging and a little less over-the-top.  I believe netflix has it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_from_Nowhere_%28film%29
"I work in the back. I see no smiles."--"Bruce Allmighty"

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2013, 08:52:22 PM »
You guys need to see "The Man From Nowhere." Kind of a Korean version of Taken. Along the same lines as taken, but much more engaging and a little less over-the-top.  I believe netflix has it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_from_Nowhere_%28film%29

uhhhh, what???

Crow1108

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2013, 10:42:55 AM »
uhhhh, what???

I only say that because the guy took a bullet about halfway through the movie. I don't care what kind of training, or "particular set of skills" a man has, he goes up against what either character went up against in their respective films, they are going to incur some kind of personal injury.

"I work in the back. I see no smiles."--"Bruce Allmighty"

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2013, 02:49:57 PM »
I only say that because the guy took a bullet about halfway through the movie. I don't care what kind of training, or "particular set of skills" a man has, he goes up against what either character went up against in their respective films, they are going to incur some kind of personal injury.

Liam Neesen's angry voice could wipe out an entire platoon of storm troopers.  True story.