Author Topic: The National Anthem - a rant  (Read 8325 times)

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re: The National Anthem - a rant
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2013, 08:56:41 AM »
Two sacred song variants are French approved. Hendrix Anthem and Dropkick Murphys "Amazing Grace." All the other horsecrap gets me all ragey throwey like the OP. I can cringe along to bad singing, but at least get the off tempo and key words correct okay?
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2013, 04:35:56 PM »
As much as I love the Hendrix version, I blame him for some of the abominations that occur these days.  He did something that really hadn't been done before and it seems like so many since want to leave their make in a similar fashion.  That said, it chaps my ass more than anything when people try to sing the song as if it were an R&B song.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2013, 05:25:51 PM »
...people try to sing the song as if it were an R&B song.

Like they do with the Christmas songs I hear at the stores this time of year?  :facepalm:  Like we really needed One Direction to sing our holiday favorites.  ;/
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2013, 06:50:39 PM »

Like they do with the Christmas songs I hear at the stores this time of year?  :facepalm:  Like we really needed One Direction to sing our holiday favorites.  ;/

Exactly like that.  Makes me want to carry some knitting needles on me at all times when I go out these days.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2013, 06:59:51 PM »
They sing about Frosty the Snowman like they want to twerk with him.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2013, 07:28:30 PM »
Christmas? Did someone mention Christmas music?

Not much good Christmas music comes around these days, but Celtic Woman has some of the best I've heard recently: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5eoxeV56_o

I used to have a CD of a Hungarian boys' choir singing Christmas hymns in Latin that was just spectacular, but it disappeared during a move several years ago and it's no longer available.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2013, 07:46:35 PM »
Most top 40, pop and Rap/R&B "artists" should not be permited to record christmas music.
First of all, they are generally past their prime when they do a christmas album and are has beens (usually for a good reason. They do, after all, suck)
Secondly, the world does not need new versions of Silent Night, Deck The Halls, Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer, White Christmas, Jingle Bells or any of the other over produced songs that EVERYONE knows (except The Twelve Days of Christmas, which no one does in it's orginal form in its entirety, thank god!)
Third, the only places this crap gets played is on sound systems at crappy stores and then it gets stuck in a novelty CD with poor sales, never to be seen again. It's not like this crap makes any money.

So the result is some has been worthless popstar assults our eara with crap we can't escape when we have to go to the grocery store or whatever and all so nobody makes all that much money.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2013, 09:41:49 PM »
Celtic Woman.   ;/

I'll take Zooey, thanks.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2013, 10:55:18 PM »
Gayla Peevey sings one of the best Christmas songs ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oOzszFIBcE

Dr Demento went off the radio years ago, now but lives on the internet.  http://aolradio.slacker.com/artist/dr-demento?flv=1  Few folks know the full story of this deranged genius with an MFA in music and possibly the only person with a finger actually on the music pulse.  There were nights when atmospheric skip was good and I could pull in him and Wolfman Jack all the way on the East Coast.  (Try explaining that to kids with their podcasts.  ::frowny curmudgeon smiley goes here::)

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2013, 11:14:39 PM »
Christmas? Did someone mention Christmas music?

Not much good Christmas music comes around these days, but Celtic Woman has some of the best I've heard recently: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5eoxeV56_o

1:08 - Aaaaaaand they start with "Carol of the Bells."  It is on now.  Thanks, man.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2013, 12:10:58 AM »
16:10 isn't an historical carol, but one of my favorites. And this is a wonderful rendition.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2013, 01:05:37 PM »
Gayla Peevey sings one of the best Christmas songs ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oOzszFIBcE

Dr Demento went off the radio years ago, now but lives on the internet.  http://aolradio.slacker.com/artist/dr-demento?flv=1  Few folks know the full story of this deranged genius with an MFA in music and possibly the only person with a finger actually on the music pulse.  There were nights when atmospheric skip was good and I could pull in him and Wolfman Jack all the way on the East Coast.  (Try explaining that to kids with their podcasts.  ::frowny curmudgeon smiley goes here::)

stay safe.

That's one of my favorites! :)

I have the Dr. Demento christmas collection. Dad's favorite is I Yust Go Nuts At Christmas.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2013, 04:44:19 PM »
And I'll bet he sings it (repeatedly) with a Tom & Yerry in hand.  =D

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2013, 04:49:28 PM »
And I'll bet he sings it (repeatedly) with a Tom & Yerry in hand.  =D

stay safe.

:rofl: